• Community Review of Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Are you looking for a new game to buy/play? TGT community member rudyjuly2 has put together a review of Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor. Developed by Monolith Productions and published by WB Games, the title has been extremely well-received by critics and fans alike. Despite the last of marketing and fanfare we see other titles receive, word of mouth and positive reviews have helped the title become a hit and one of the best titles of 2014.

Continue on to see Rudy's review and if you have played the title, share your thoughts as well.

I got this game as a Christmas gift and it was a lot of fun. A short review is this game is Assassin’s Creed with Batman combat set in a LOTR world. The graphics are solid if not spectacular. I had early reservations over whether this game would be repetitive but there is a lot of variety in this game to keep it from feeling that way.

First, the setup of the game is very similar to Assassin’s Creed. You have waypoints (forge towers) that unlock items on the map and fast travel. Climbing and moving around is similar including all too convenient wires that travel from one roof top to another. You have roughly 20 Yellow Story/Main missions along with a lot of side missions that are limitless. There are Red Side Missions that are truly limitless and deal with battles with Orc/Uruk leaders. You have 54 optional White Missions (30 bow, sword and dagger and 24 Outcast missions). There are also 20 collection and hunting challenges so there are MANY things to do in this game if you want. I finished the game at roughly 33 hours and I still have quite a few things left to do. You could finish the game in under 20 hours or you could spend 40-50 hours to get the platinum. It’s up to you.

Many things in this game are video game friendly. Enemies are clearly defined by colours or markers and the map itself is very compact allowing you to travel very easily. You can’t run more than 10 seconds without running into people to fight and you can quickly reach your desired mission start areas. Where this game separates itself from Assassin’s Creed is the combat. Assassin’s Creed combat is simple while this game is very diverse and much better. The amount of options at your disposal from stealth moves, stun moves, execution finishers, counters, bows, daggers, riding monsters, blowing things up along with special Wraith moves (special abilities from the LOTR world including controlling people) is huge. At first I was overwhelmed but the main story missions do a good job of explaining them and you don’t get all of your moves at once. Things unlock nicely over the course of playing.

The story is actually pretty decent. I liked it but a lot of times it’s just fun to run around and fight people. That is where the Nemesis system comes into play. The game remembers the wins and losses for both you and your opponents. Beat an Orc Leader? You gain power and he gets knocked out but someone else will take his place. Lose to someone? They gain power and will taunt you at your next meeting. Who gets promoted is based on your personal game experience so my Nemesis ended up Lugnak Thunderhead who maxed out at Level 20 after killing me about 5 times early on. It was so satisfying to finally take him out later in the game. It’s this personal connection that makes the game even better. To go up against the tough Orc leaders you definitely need to get some Intel on them to discover their strengths and weaknesses. For the higher leveled bosses you will have to go after their weaknesses or you will fail. Some Red/Mini-Boss missions are Vengeance missions. Some of my friends on PSN had been killed by an Orc Leader and I could take on those missions to avenge them. I thought that was cool.

The game has a fairly extensive RPG element. You can upgrade your moves and abilities as you gain power. By beating bosses you gain special runes that you can apply to your weapons that grant you enhanced abilities as well. I was almost maxed out by the end of the game which leads to one of the weaknesses of the game. Near the beginning it’s very easy to get overwhelmed and killed and I enjoyed that. During the second half of the game I rarely died. You aren’t invincible but you are so powerful things get too easy. The final boss battles are underwhelming and there are no difficulty levels so there isn’t anything you can do about it. I do like the fact that your health doesn't auto-regenerate. You do have to collect herbs to heal back up.

At the end of the day there are a lot of things to do and enjoy with this game. It’s a brawler at heart but with a ton of options to keep it from getting repetitive. The Nemesis system adds a nice personal touch that keeps you connected to a world that is always changing. I highly recommend everyone to give this game a shot. Probably my game of the year for 2014.

- Are you interested in writing/submitting your own community reviews for games here at The Gaming Tailgate? Send a private message to cdj, gschwendt, or JBHuskers for more information. We would love to publish and promote them here at TGT!
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Shadow of Mordor started by Rudy View original post
    Comments 29 Comments
      SmoothPancakes -
      Alright, so I only got a very brief hour or two into it on Friday afternoon, but damn this game is fun. In a very short time, before really even doing any missions, just exploring, I've already killed three captains and been killed twice after getting into 4 on 1 melees (which has resulted in a few getting promoted TO captain). One thing I have noticed, it seems like the map is really small. I barely run in any direction and it seems like I've covered half the map before I've realized it.
      Rudy -
      So true about the map. It is unrealistic but it makes for an easy gaming experience. There is a lot to do on the map though and your map is only for the first half of the game. Halfway it opens up another area.
      SCClassof93 -
      Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
      Alright, so I only got a very brief hour or two into it on Friday afternoon, but damn this game is fun. In a very short time, before really even doing any missions, just exploring, I've already killed three captains and been killed twice after getting into 4 on 1 melees (which has resulted in a few getting promoted TO captain). One thing I have noticed, it seems like the map is really small. I barely run in any direction and it seems like I've covered half the map before I've realized it.
      You get another map later. Enjoy
      SmoothPancakes -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
      So true about the map. It is unrealistic but it makes for an easy gaming experience. There is a lot to do on the map though and your map is only for the first half of the game. Halfway it opens up another area.
      Yeah, the map has started to grow on me. Especially now that I know my way around everywhere and have grown strong enough to hold my own against captains and 50+ orcs inside Strongholds.

Quote Originally Posted by SCClassof93 View Post
      You get another map later. Enjoy
      That's good. The map definitely seemed small when I first started playing. Now that I have actually explored every single corner of the map (and died a few times along the way), there is a fair amount of space in the game. It's still easy to quickly wander out of one area and find yourself halfway across the map if you're not paying attention to how far you run, but it's not a big issue anymore.

Meanwhile, damn this game is addictive. I haven't been able to stop playing it since Thursday. Any free time I have is spent on this. I've barely even touched the missions. I just finished killing the four warchiefs, but that's as far as I've gotten. All of my time has been spent running around from point to point killing captains. I bought Far Cry 4 along with Shadow of Mordor in the Critics Choice sale, but I haven't even started up Far Cry 4 on my PS4. Shadow of Mordor has been getting my full attention thus far.
      JBHuskers -
      Experience playing the Batman Rocksteady games has definitely helped me with whooping some ass in this game

The combat is pretty much identical.
      Rudy -
      This was one of the funnest games I played on the PS4. It wasn't perfect but I can't wait for the sequel. The devs shared some of their personal stories from working on the game along with some stats. The first game released in 2014 and is getting a 4K upgrade for PS4 Pro. I never thought the graphics were the strength of this game so I'm curious to see how much they improved.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/...s-development/

SmoothPancakes -
      Damn, I gotta play this game again. I had so much fun on PS4. I've got a copy of it on the Xbox One thanks to it being a free game one month through Gold. I may need to fire up a new game on One and go through it again.

I stopped playing it on PS4 last year after I pretty much completely beat the game and DLC. Only stuff left to do was just keep killing war chiefs. That, and my every lasting rivalry with my friend Takra Caragor Tamer.

I must have killed him a dozen times, and he just kept coming back. He killed me probably a dozen times too, enough to reach level 20 and become an Elite Captain. Eventually our rivalry got to the point I couldn't kill him. It just didn't feel right. One time I killed him and he didn't come back from the dead for the longest time, and it actually felt like something was missing from the game with him no longer around to battle with, I actually regretted killing him.

Thankfully he eventually returned after being MIA for a large chunk of hours playing, and I vowed to never kill him again after that.

So a new game of Mordor on Xbox One actually sounds good. I haven't played in probably a year and a half, so it'll be fresh again, and a chance to create a new rival.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
      Rudy -
      The Nemesis system was cool. I had one guy kill me a bunch. They should let at least some guys level up past 20 though.

I never did the DLC in this game. They had a sale on the GOTY edition I should have bought.
      SmoothPancakes -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
      The Nemesis system was cool. I had one guy kill me a bunch. They should let at least some guys level up past 20 though.

I never did the DLC in this game. They had a sale on the GOTY edition I should have bought.
      Yep, the Nemesis system ended up being a great creation. I look forward to seeing how they improve it for Shadow of Mordor 2.

I went ahead and started a fresh new game on the One last night. Only got an hour into it, but it'll give me something to do for the next week until Mafia III releases next Friday.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk