• Electronic Arts Announces "EA Access" for XBOX One

A new program was announced by Electronic Arts for the XBOX One system called EA Access. This will be a subscription based system that allows you to play EA's games in a whole new way. Part of the subscription will include what is called The Vault where you can play a certain selection of games unlimited anytime. Also, similiar to the EA Sports Season Ticket program, there will also be DLC discounts, but not just DLC, but full retail purchase discounts. Also similar to Season Ticket, the EA Access will allow you to play a new retail game five days early. For full details of this new program, please hit the jump to read the rest.

Today we’re revealing a new way for gamers to play more EA games. This is something we’ve never done before and we’re excited to share it with you.

We have partnered with Microsoft to deliver EA Access, an all-new monthly (or annual) membership for gamers exclusively on Xbox One that starts at just $4.99 a month. The service is being rolled out in beta to a limited number of players today, but it will launch for everyone on Xbox One soon. At EA, we are always looking for new ways to make it easier for gamers to play more EA games across all platforms, and we are excited about what EA Access will offer to players on Xbox One.

EA Access membership unlocks The Vault, a collection of EA’s biggest games on Xbox One ready for you to download and play. During the beta, gamers will have unlimited access to four great EA games: FIFA 14, Madden NFL 25, Peggle 2 and Battlefield 4™, with more titles being added soon. That’s over $100 worth of games for $4.99 a month. You can play these EA favorites as much as you want with the click of a button.

EA Access is a totally new way for you to play more of the games you love, for less. Here’s a rundown of the additional benefits EA Access members will get:

•Awesome Value– Besides the great games in The Vault, EA Access members will save 10% on purchases of EA digital content for Xbox One offered through the Xbox Games Store. From full digital-download titles like the upcoming Dragon Age™ Inquisition or NHL®15, to additional membership services such as Battlefield 4 Premium or even FIFA Ultimate Team points, it’s all 10% off for members.*
    •Play First – Membership in EA Access lets you experience trials of new EA games up to five days before the release date.* It starts with Madden NFL 15, NHL 15, FIFA 15, NBA LIVE 15, and Dragon Age: Inquisition, but more are on the way. If you decide to buy the game, your progress will carry over so you can pick up right where you left off.

You can join EA Access for just $4.99 per month, or you can purchase an annual membership for $29.99 per year on Xbox LIVE®.

Soon, fans of GameStop will be able to purchase their EA Access membership in local retail stores. GameStop and Amazon will also carry EA Access memberships for Xbox One gamers across Europe, as well as EB Games in Canada.

Excited to check it out? EA Access will launch on Xbox One soon. You will find more information on the program at the EA Access website. Be sure to follow EA Access on Facebook and Twitter as well.

Stay tuned!

*Conditions, limitations and exclusions apply. See www.ea.com/eaaccess for details.
    Comments 242 Comments
      jaymo76 -
      Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
      But it's a minimum. You have 120 hours of access if you played every minute.
      I didn't get that sense from the OS forums. The way it is portrayed is that you don't get 5 days to play. You will only get a certain number of hours (eg 5 hours). Once you hit that max you can no longer play. So if you play all of the available hours on day one you cannot play again until retail.
      SmoothPancakes -
      Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
      But it's a minimum. You have 120 hours of access if you played every minute.
      Maybe. The thing says a minimum of two hours, UP to 5 days. So it sounds like it could depend and change from game to game. One game you might get 5 days, another game you might only get a couple hours. If it was guaranteed a full 5 days for every game, then there would be no reason to include that "a minimum of two hours" covering their ass bull.
      jaymo76 -
      What will the pre-release trials include? Will my progress carry over?

Each game is different, so each game’s trial will be, too. In some titles you’ll be able to play one of the game's modes for a limited time, while other times you can jump right into the full game. And since you’ll always be playing the real game, any progress you make will carry over so you can pick up where you left off on launch day.
      There will be no set amount... every game may be different.
      gschwendt -
      Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
      Maybe. The thing says a minimum of two hours, UP to 5 days. So it sounds like it could depend and change from game to game. One game you might get 5 days, another game you might only get a couple hours. If it was guaranteed a full 5 days for every game, then there would be no reason to include that "a minimum of two hours" covering their ass bull.
      That's how I read it... they're saying in regard to the minimum is that each game included will have a MINIMUM of 2 hours time to play. I imagine that 2 hours though will be more for linear/storyline games like Battlefield or the like. Since there's no end-game in sports games, I imagine the minimum will be much longer.
      JBHuskers -
      Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
      That's how I read it... they're saying in regard to the minimum is that each game included will have a MINIMUM of 2 hours time to play. I imagine that 2 hours though will be more for linear/storyline games like Battlefield or the like. Since there's no end-game in sports games, I imagine the minimum will be much longer.
      This.
      souljahbill -
      Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
      Makes sense. Can't have the story in a game beaten before the finished product is on store shelves.
      cdj -
      Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
      I didn't get that sense from the OS forums. The way it is portrayed is that you don't get 5 days to play. You will only get a certain number of hours (eg 5 hours). Once you hit that max you can no longer play. So if you play all of the available hours on day one you cannot play again until retail.
      If a user could sign up for the month just prior to the release of Madden 15, for example, for just $4.99, there is no way they are going to be allowed to play for more than a handful of hours. I would be surprised if the limit is ever higher than five for a title, but that is just my opinion.
      bdoughty -
      If I were to get it, it won't be for a long while until they've added a bunch more games. I've already got Madden 25 (with its shitty gameplay), I've already got FIFA 14, I'm pretty sure I've already got Peggle 2. So I'd only get Battlefield 4 out of it. May as well just buy Battlefield 4 in that case.
      Same here. Already played three of the games in the vault.
      CLW -
      Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
      Just like everything is not Democrat v. Republican, not everything is MS v. Sony
      That's O.K. b/c EA hates both of my choices (conservative and Sony) on that matter equally.
      SmoothPancakes -
      I will give EA this much. They're giving it half off for a year. $4.99 a month or $29.99 for an entire year subscription. I'm honestly shocked EA is willing to let a yearly subscription go for 50% off.
      CLW -
      I will give EA this much. They're giving it half off for a year. $4.99 a month or $29.99 for an entire year subscription. I'm honestly shocked EA is willing to let a yearly subscription go for 50% off.
      What's EA's yearly release schedule for its other titles? The Sports titles are all Aug - Oct (if memory serves) so if you are only a sports gamer $15/hr by 3 monthly payments is the best way to go.
      SmoothPancakes -
      Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
      What's EA's yearly release schedule for its other titles? The Sports titles are all Aug - Oct (if memory serves) so if you are only a sports gamer $15/hr by 3 monthly payments is the best way to go.
      I have no idea. But I'm also looking at their "Vault" with last year's sports games and Battlefield 4. As they expand that, if the yearly price remains $29.99 for the entire year (as opposed to $4.99 for a single month), 50% off for a year of gaming with games in the Vault, not too shabby. Still probably wouldn't get it right now just because Battlefield 4 is the only game on the list of current Vault titles that I don't have. May as well just go out and buy a used copy of it and not have to deal with the Vault or Access.

But if they add more games (especially games I DON'T own), then I'll be more game for getting Access, especially at 50% off the monthly rate.
      CLW -
      CLW -
      GameStop Shares Tumble After EA Access Announcement

Retailer's shares down more than 5 percent, but analysts say it's too early to know if the service will have any kind of real impact on GameStop's business.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/gam.../1100-6421382/

I just don't see this having an impact on the industry. The ONLY way it does is if EA decides to go exclusively digital and you have to pay a subscription fee but get access to any/all of EA's games (or some sort of tiered pricing for access to X EA games for $Y)
      jaymo76 -
      Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
      Pretty good discussion.
      SmoothPancakes -
      I got a message from Xbox Live tonight about this, since I'm part of the early preview program for Xbox One updates, they're including a closed "beta" of this for those in the early preview program. I'll have to jump on my One and download it tonight.
      JBHuskers -
      I got a message from Xbox Live tonight about this, since I'm part of the early preview program for Xbox One updates, they're including a closed "beta" of this for those in the early preview program. I'll have to jump on my One and download it tonight.
      I got it too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
      cdj -
      IGN: Sony reveals it passed on EA Access for PS4 as it's not "good value"

Speaking to Game Informer, a Sony spokesperson revealed the subscription service wasn't a good fit for its new console considering the continuing popularity of PS Plus.

"We evaluated the EA Access subscription offering and decided that it does not bring the kind of value PlayStation customers have come to expect," a statement reads. "PlayStation Plus memberships are up more than 200 per cent since the launch of PlayStation 4, which shows that gamers are looking for memberships that offer a multitude of services, across various devices, for one low price.

"We don't think asking our fans to pay an additional $5 a month for this EA-specific program represents good value to the PlayStation gamer."
      skipwondah33 -
      Well PS memberships are up because it'd mandatory to have them to play multiplayer lol
      bdoughty -
      Quote Originally Posted by skipwondah33 View Post
      Well PS memberships are up because it'd mandatory to have them to play multiplayer lol
      Exactly. Of course Sony wasn't too worried about asking their fans to pay for online this generation.

"We don't think asking our fans to pay an additional $5 a month for this EA-specific program represents good value to the PlayStation gamer."
      When did CLW get a job at Sony? Seems silly to even comment on this but even worse is the assumption their fans would not like the "Choice" to decide for themselves. When is having a choice bad?