• NCAA Settles Keller Lawsuit; EA Talks Conditions for NCAA Football Return

As the O'Bannon lawsuit versus the NCAA continues, the NCAA has reached a $20M settlement with the plaintiffs in the Sam Keller lawsuit. The Keller case was to be heard in March 2015 and the settlement will distribute $20 million to “certain Division I men’s basketball and Division I Bowl Subdivision football student-athletes who attended certain institutions during the years the games were sold.”

“With the games no longer in production and the plaintiffs settling their claims with EA and the Collegiate Licensing Company, the NCAA viewed a settlement now as an appropriate opportunity to provide complete closure to the video game plaintiffs,” said NCAA Chief Legal Officer Donald Remy.

Electronic Arts and the Collegiate Licensing Company finalized a $40M settlement with a series of plaintiffs in late May.

The O'Bannon lawsuit does not feature the plantiffs looking for monetary damages, but rather changes to the current collegiate model. Continue on for more on this lawsuit as well as comments from Peter Moore on what it would take for the NCAA Football franchise to return.

SI.com legal expert Michael McCann offered his thoughts on why the NCAA may have settled in the case:

- Game Informer visited with EA SPORTS Chief Operating Officer Peter Moore and asked what it would take for the NCAA Football franchise to return:

"We've always said that we'd monitor the situation," Moore says.

We asked if there were specific things that would signal an all-clear to pursue the franchise again. "The development teams need to understand what they can and cannot do, and then it becomes a financial thing," Moore tells us. "If it costs you more to develop and pay for the players and what have you than you believe that you can sell, that's not fair to the [development] teams. They need to have an ongoing concern."

In order to get to the point where EA is looking at costs though, Moore expects that systemic change would be necessary across the multi-billion dollar college sports industry. "I think this thing gets bigger than us and our industry before it settles itself down," he says. "We'll step back and watch this thing develop."

UPDATE - From testimony at the O'Bannon v. NCAA lawsuit on Wednesday:

Joel Linzner of Electronic Arts, which suspended its successful football video game series after being sued for not paying former players whose images it was accused of using without permission, said yesterday the company would welcome resurrecting the product.

“If there was an economically efficient way to do it and no rules prohibited it, we would be interested,” Linzner said.

- ESPN has written a lengthy piece on "Why You Should Know (Judge) Claudia Wilken."

- Big Ten Conference Commissioner Jim Delaney believes that the existing lawsuits versus the NCAA will be settled in two to three years.
    Comments 76 Comments
      CLW -
      Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
      Update: EA Executive Backs NCAA Athletes at Licensing Rules Trial

Joel Linzner of Electronic Arts, which suspended its successful football video game series after being sued for not paying former players whose images it was accused of using without permission, said yesterday the company would welcome resurrecting the product.

He was called as a witness by athletes who are asking a federal judge in Oakland, California, to order the NCAA to allow them to license their names and images so that they can share in the billions of dollars generated by their games, mostly through television broadcasts.

“If there was an economically efficient way to do it and no rules prohibited it, we would be interested,” Linzner said.

“The NCAA made clear in its agreements with Electronic Arts that the company could not use the name, image or likeness of NCAA football and basketball players in its video games,” Bob Williams, an NCAA spokesman, said in a statement. “Despite repeated requests” by Electronic Arts for permission to use students’ names, images and likenesses, “the NCAA membership refused to change its policy,” he said.

On cross-examination, Linzner was asked if Electronic Arts used the names and likenesses of real student athletes in its games. “We did not believe we did, but there are plenty of plaintiffs’ attorneys here who believe we did,” he said.
      LMAO and after that testimony EA will NEVER make another NCAA product again. The only way EA gets a college sports video game is if the NCAA dies. EA pulled a classic bait and switch.

EA before settlement: Yeah, yeah these claims are bogus the NCAA is right.

Now: Yeah, yeah plaintiffs are right they should get paid.

EA's hypocrisy is embarrassing
      SmoothPancakes -
      Double post.
      SmoothPancakes -
      Well, all they gotta do is work out details with the players, CLC and various teams/leagues. They don't need the NCAA other than changes to take place regarding players getting paid. Just do what they intended to do this year, College Football '15.

Other than that, the NCAA can go sit on it and rotate.

Sent from my Droid Maxx using Tapatalk because I'm a lazy ass
      JBHuskers -
      Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
      Well, all they gotta do is work out details with the players, CLC and various teams/leagues. They don't need the NCAA other than changes to take place regarding players getting paid. Just do what they intended to do this year, College Football '15.

There are some schools that aren't part of the CLC, right?
      SmoothPancakes -
      Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
      There are some schools that aren't part of the CLC, right?
      That's what it sounded like last fall/winter. Get a deal worked out with the CLC and then work out the deals needed with any teams/conferences that aren't part of the CLC. Leave the NCAA branding out of it all, and other than the hurdle of paying the players, I don't see any reason why EA would care about the NCAA after that testimony.

CLW -
      Smooth - your forgetting the NCAA sets the rules. NCAA can ban the players from selling their likeness to EA. Well they cannot ban the actual sell but then they could just ban them from ever playing NCAA football/basketball.

Unless/Until the NCAA dies (or changes its mind) there will be no college video game.
      SmoothPancakes -
      Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
      Smooth - your forgetting the NCAA sets the rules. NCAA can ban the players from selling their likeness to EA. Well they cannot ban the actual sell but then they could just ban them from ever playing NCAA football/basketball.

Unless/Until the NCAA dies (or changes its mind) there will be no college video game.
      That's why I mentioned the hurdle of paying players and (unsaid) the hurdle of players being able to sell their likenesses. But I wouldn't be surprised to see the NCAA end up changing things in the near future.

Between these lawsuits and the constant threats from the SEC of leaving and forming its own organization because the NCAA isn't giving it every single thing that it wants like a spoiled fuck child, the NCAA is going to be forced to either adapt or end up ripped apart.

CLW -
      That's why I mentioned the hurdle of paying players and (unsaid) the hurdle of players being able to sell their likenesses. But I wouldn't be surprised to see the NCAA end up changing things in the near future.

Between these lawsuits and the constant threats from the SEC of leaving and forming its own organization because the NCAA isn't giving it every single thing that it wants like a spoiled fuck child, the NCAA is going to be forced to either adapt or end up ripped apart.

I actually see the NCAA surviving but the "Big 5" (SEC, ACC, BIG 10, BIG 12, PAC) - take their $ and leave and pay their players.

The NCAA goes on with the rest.

When that happens I won't watch a second of "Big 5" action. IF the smaller schools keep the same format and somehow get on t.v. I'll stay tuned in.
      SmoothPancakes -
      I actually see the NCAA surviving but the "Big 5" (SEC, ACC, BIG 10, BIG 12, PAC) - take their $ and leave and pay their players.

The NCAA goes on with the rest.

When that happens I won't watch a second of "Big 5" action. IF the smaller schools keep the same format and somehow get on t.v. I'll stay tuned in.
      Well, if that happens, I guess we'll see what the NCAA ultimately does. As for the Big 5, I'm in the same boat. I already abhor the SEC and for the most part couldn't care less about the ACC, Big 12 or Pac 12. Big 10 is about the only Big 5 conference that I would have any interest or care in. In that case, if the Big 5 split off, I'd be perfectly fine continuing to watch the remaining conferences (assuming they are able to keep their TV deals), as I already follow to some extent the MAC, Mountain West, CUSA, Big East/American and Independent teams. If that day ever comes, yeah, the Big 5 can piss off. I'll continue watching and enjoying the "rejects".
      souljahbill -
      I'm down for watching "Reject" ball. I graduated from 2 reject schools.
      steelerfan -
      Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
      I'm down for watching "Reject" ball. I graduated from 2 reject schools.
      bdoughty -
      If that day ever comes, yeah, the Big 5 can piss off. I'll continue watching and enjoying the "rejects".

So what happens if in that scenario, a college football video game is released by the Big 5? You guys would buy it, play it endlessly and dream of playing it while you sleep. Smooth would just play with the low rated teams, like Indiana or Kentucky, as to not feel dirty about buying it.
      SmoothPancakes -
      Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
      So what happens if in that scenario, a college football video game is released by the Big 5? You guys would buy it, play it endlessly and dream of playing it while you sleep. Smooth would just play with the low rated teams, like Indiana or Kentucky, as to not feel dirty about buying it.
      Nope. I'll just continue with NCAA 14. My dynasty is offline, so I couldn't care less when the day comes that they kill the servers for it.

CLW -
      Nope. When/If the college athletes become pros I won't buy the game. The whole point of the NCAA series is that its about the SCHOOL. If I want to buy/play a professional game I'll buy 2K or Madden.
      bdoughty -
      Nope. I'll just continue with NCAA 14. My dynasty is offline, so I couldn't care less when the day comes that they kill the servers for it.
      That Xbox 360 won't last forever. We can be damn sure of that. You will cave into the peer pressure. All the cool kids will be getting the game.
      SmoothPancakes -
      That Xbox 360 won't last forever. We can be damn sure of that. You will cave into the peer pressure. All the cool kids will be getting the game.
      My original Xbox and PS2 still work. My 360 will be fine. And if the day comes that it stops working, I'll just find another one for cheap on eBay. Same thing if my NCAA 14 disc stops working. I'll just find one for cheap on eBay. For me, a college football game either has to have all of the teams or none of them. I'm not bothering with this 50/50 Big 5/Little 5 split bullshit.

bdoughty -
      Nope. When/If the college athletes become pros I won't buy the game. The whole point of the NCAA series is that its about the SCHOOL. If I want to buy/play a professional game I'll buy 2K or Madden.
      Just as Duke has turned it around on the field? You guys keep fooling yourselves.
      GatorfanStovy -
      My original Xbox and PS2 still work. My 360 will be fine. And if the day comes that it stops working, I'll just find another one for cheap on eBay. Same thing if my NCAA 14 disc stops working. I'll just find one for cheap on eBay. For me, a college football game either has to have all of the teams or none of them. I'm not bothering with this 50/50 Big 5/Little 5 split bullshit.

I so agree here. I like Madden but I enjoy college a lot more just because of the teams and players and game play of the series. Plus the overal recruiting and dynasty mode is more fun IMO.

It just sucks these damn lawsuits came about and we won't see a NCAA football game on the next gen because I'm pretty sure it would of be kick ass on the next gen system and beat out madden.

Again I'll just be getting Madden just because its next gen gaming at its best/well only game sadly .
      SmoothPancakes -
      Quote Originally Posted by GatorfanStovy View Post
      I so agree here. I like Madden but I enjoy college a lot more just because of the teams and players and game play of the series. Plus the overal recruiting and dynasty mode is more fun IMO.

It just sucks these damn lawsuits came about and we won't see a NCAA football game on the next gen because I'm pretty sure it would of be kick ass on the next gen system and beat out madden.

Again I'll just be getting Madden just because its next gen gaming at its best/well only game sadly .
      Yep, I would love for nothing more than for a NCAA game to come back. But I have FAR more interest in teams like Navy, Tulsa, Utah State, Bowling Green, Arkansas State, etc. And I have FAR more interest in conferences like the MAC, the Mountain West, the Sun Belt, C-USA, the American and the Independents.

Plus, if EA, 2K or anyone, tried to put out a college football game and charge $60 for only half the content (only the Big 5 schools/conferences), I would tell them to go fuck themselves. I'd tell them to go fuck themselves on here, only Facebook, on Twitter, on their own forums, in the Contact Us forms, on the phone with whatever hapless call center minimum wage employee I got stuck with (though it'd be nothing personal with that specific person), I'd even specifically email their President and CEO and tell him/them to go fuck himself/themselves.

Rudy -
      I'm a sheep. I love the big schools and don't have any interest in the small ones. A game centered on the Big 5 would be great for me.