• Some Notes from EA Fiscal Year 2014 Results

On Tuesday, May 6 Electronic Arts announced preliminary financial results for the fiscal quarter/year ending March 31. The full report can be viewed here.

Continue on to see some of the more noteworthy items from the report, including final FY 2014 numbers for the college football settlement, the success of Ultimate Team, and upcoming EA titles.

- It appears that the Ultimate Team mode is not only popular, but extremely lucrative for the company: EA’s Ultimate Team services generated more than $380 million in fiscal year 2014, with Madden Ultimate Team growing 90% year-over-year. The growth in Madden Ultimate Team is expected given two versions (current and last-gen) in 2013, however nearly doubling in one year is surprising for a mode that has been in the game since 2009. Card sales grew 60% in the last year, aided by Ultimate Team debuting in NBA Live 14 and NCAA Football 14.

- College Football Settlement Expenses. During fiscal 2014, Electronic Arts recognized a $48 million charge for expected litigation settlement and license expenses related to our college football business. This expense is excluded from our non-GAAP financial measures.

- Upcoming titles for EA include: FIFA 15, Madden NFL 15, NHL 15, The Sims 4, NBA Live 15, Dragon Age: Inquisition, EA SPORTS Golf, as well as six new titles that may be announced at E3. For the first time since becoming an annual release in 1996, the Need for Speed franchise will skip 2014 and return in 2015 to take advantage of an "extended development window."
    Comments 5 Comments
      AustinWolv -
      Ultimate Team is stupid.
      SmoothPancakes -
      Quote Originally Posted by AustinWolv View Post
      Ultimate Team is stupid.

Sent from my Droid Maxx using Tapatalk because I'm a lazy ass
      steelerfan -
      Quote Originally Posted by AustinWolv View Post
      Ultimate Team is stupid.

However, people are stupid too.
      cdj -
      I get the UT criticism, but it might be the only way NCAA Football ever returns. My guess is that EA will get back into the market if/once there is a player license to acquire and it is going to cost much more than they ever paid before in licensing. UT seems like the only way they can afford it. They'll probably need the extra couple million+ from UT in order to cover costs and make a profit.
      souljahbill -
      I have no issue with UT. I don't play it but others do. It existing doesn't hamper my dynasty.