• The Last of Us Remastered – Coming to PS4 Summer 2014

Back in December of 2011, we were teased with a new game that from the onset promised to be special. We were shown viral videos of something abnormal growing on Earth. Then at the VGA's we saw a great first trailer to the game. Once that trailer ended, it was revealed that this was coming from Naughty Dog; which lead to a rousing ovation at the awards show (and around the world). Finally last June, we were able to get our hands on The Last Of Us, and our minds were blown.

From Metacritic, a brief summary of the game states: Twenty years after a pandemic radically transformed known civilization, infected humans run amuck and survivors kill one another for sustenance and weapons - literally whatever they can get their hands on. Joel, a salty survivor, is hired to smuggle a fourteen-year-old girl, Ellie, out of a rough military quarantine, but what begins as a simple job quickly turns into a brutal journey across the country.…

News has surfaced this week that this great game will now be heading to PS4 in the summer. Continue on to read the official release from Sony and click here for the direct product link at Amazon.

Well, it’s no secret that we have been working night and day at the studio to bring The Last of Us to PS4.

We’re calling it The Last of Us Remastered.

Moving our efforts to the PS4 has allowed us to remaster an already phenomenal looking The Last of Us in 1080p with a list of upgrades including higher resolution character models, improved shadows and lighting, upgraded textures, along with even more improvements. We love setting challenging technical hurdles for us when working on each game – and this is no different. We’ve been working hard on The Last of Us Remastered to release a next-gen evolution worthy of the 200+ Game of the Year awards, not to mention the acclaim and expectations of our fans. We will be revealing more detailed information about the upgrades for the PS4 version in the coming months.

In addition to all the technical updates, we’re also including an exclusive director’s commentary for all in-game cinematics featuring Creative Director and Writer, Neil Druckmann; Voice Actor, Troy Baker, who plays Joel; and BAFTA Award winning Voice Actress, Ashley Johnson, who plays Ellie.

We’ve released a ton of additional content since The Last of Us launched in June 2013, including our first ever single player expansion, Left Behind. We’re happy to say that the major content releases will be included with The Last of Us Remastered:

•Left Behind single player expansion
    •Abandoned Territories multiplayer map pack
    •Reclaimed Territories pack – details will be coming soon on exactly what is included
    Whether you are new to The Last of Us or have played it already on the PS3, we hope you are all looking forward to this release. We are!

You can preorder The Last of Us Remastered for PS4 right now from many of your favorite retailers and receive these preorder bonuses:

•100 Supply Points (XP) for use in Factions mode
    •Two special bonus skins for Joel and Ellie which will be unlocked after your complete the single player campaign
    •Increased Crafting Speed for use in the Single Player Campaign
    •Increased Healing Speed for use in the Single Player Campaign
    •9mm Reload Speed Increase Upgrade for use in the Single Player Campaign
    •Rifle Clip Capacity Increase Upgrade for use in the Single Player Campaign
    If you preorder on the PlayStation Store, you will receive three extra preorder bonuses to unlocks in Factions multiplayer:

•Early Access to the Brawler Survival Skill in Factions Mode
    •Early Access to additional Loadout Points for use in Factions mode
    •Early Access to the Jeep Cap and Surgical Mask for use in Factions mode
    Now that we’ve finally gotten the official announcement out of the way, we’ll be keeping you updated regularly about The Last of Us Remastered until it releases Summer 2014.
    Comments 74 Comments
      CLW -
      Just got her. About to pop her in and install.
      JBHuskers -
      I'm not a 30 fps vs. 60 fps snob, but curious to see how it plays different.
      I OU a Beatn -
      Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
      I'm not a 30 fps vs. 60 fps snob, but curious to see how it plays different.
      You should be. 60 makes a world of difference.
      JBHuskers -
      It has been delivered. Now hopefully the office manager puts it out before she leaves for the day
      CLW -
      Quote Originally Posted by I OU a Beatn View Post
      Yeah, I have it on the lowest setting right now, but it's still pretty bright, ha. I'll just have to change how I hold it. It reflects off my TV pretty badly even on dim.

Online is still fun as hell by the way.
      Tried online for the 1st time from 12 - 5. It was allot of fun. I would really enjoy it if several of us formed a "clan" or whatever and chatted while playing.
      JBHuskers -
      JBHuskers -
      CLW -
      I'm about to hop online and continue my FireFly online campaign or whatever. If any of you guys wanna jump on and play with me - hit me up.
      I OU a Beatn -
      They really need to fix this matchmaking in a hurry. They've already patched it 5 times and it's just as bad now as it was on launch day. I routinely sit in the lobby for 10 or 15 minutes at a time, only to be placed in games where I have a zero bar ping. Out of all the time I've played, I only think I've completed 15-20 matches.
      CLW -
      I'm going to be playing some more TLOU online and would prefer to play with people I know on mic as it is actually enjoyable when you play as a team. If anyone wants to play add me and we can setup a chat party.
      SmoothPancakes -
      I haven't gotten the game yet, but maybe in the next week or two when we do, I'll be game for some online, provided it's not the trash fest that OU described above.
      I OU a Beatn -
      Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
      I haven't gotten the game yet, but maybe in the next week or two when we do, I'll be game for some online, provided it's not the trash fest that OU described above.
      It depends on what you like. Nobody moves so if you don't like being the aggressor and rushing 4 guys at once, probably by yourself if you're playing with randoms, it's probably not for you. Right now it's unplayable for me because it never puts me into a game. I just finished sitting on the matchmaking screen for 20+ minutes before calling it quits.

Everyone starts out with really low ammo and the popular tactic when engaging someone is for them to run away, so you're likely to exhaust all of your ammo without actually downing or killing anyone - it happens to me all the time.

It's truly not a very smartly designed online mode, but honestly, what else is there to play right now for someone who likes SOCOM/Gears? Nothing, hence why I'm playing it(or rather, sitting in the lobby TRYING to play it).
      SmoothPancakes -
      It depends on what you like. Nobody moves so if you don't like being the aggressor and rushing 4 guys at once, probably by yourself if you're playing with randoms, it's probably not for you. Right now it's unplayable for me because it never puts me into a game. I just finished sitting on the matchmaking screen for 20+ minutes before calling it quits.

Everyone starts out with really low ammo and the popular tactic when engaging someone is for them to run away, so you're likely to exhaust all of your ammo without actually downing or killing anyone - it happens to me all the time.

It's truly not a very smartly designed online mode, but honestly, what else is there to play right now for someone who likes SOCOM/Gears? Nothing, hence why I'm playing it(or rather, sitting in the lobby TRYING to play it).
      Ugh. I'm starting to see what CLW is talking about in regards to trying to get a team of people from here together with mics and whatnot to team up together. Based on that description of online right now, I'd probably avoid it altogether unless we're able to team up a couple of us as CLW said.
      I OU a Beatn -
      Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
      Ugh. I'm starting to see what CLW is talking about in regards to trying to get a team of people from here together with mics and whatnot to team up together. Based on that description of online right now, I'd probably avoid it altogether unless we're able to team up a couple of us as CLW said.
      Yeah, I mean you can play slow and whatever, which is probably how the game is designed and as long as you have a competent team that sticks near you it would be alright. I don't know, I just get so fucking bored crouch walking around the map. I come from extremely fast paced shooters like Gears, Titanfall, etc... and I just want to go. Meanwhile, the vast majority of people who play this game just sit back, crouch walk, and are constantly all grouped together just waiting for someone who walk out into the open.

I'm sure my k/d and other stats are shit because of playing fast, but I seriously just can't play the way it's meant to be played.

My complaint stems from the lack of ammo. I just don't understand why in a COMPETITIVE shooter I'm getting strained for ammo. I realize it's the apocalypse and ammo is hard to come by, but come on, this isn't the story mode, this is competitive online - give me the necessary tools to be able to deal with other players. At least half of my deaths have come from not having any ammo.

But yeah, we'll at least give it a try when you get it. It'll be better in a group. I play by myself because the only friend of mine that has a PS4 absolutely hates the online modes in TLOU.
      CLW -
      #1 the game is definitely slow compared to a "traditional" FPS online game like COD.

#2 the game has allot of strategy and if you can get a group of 4 guys on the mics and you talk effectively you can really mow guys down quite easily.

#3 I've never run out of bullets but I do not run around and come out shooting guns blazing - mostly i sit back and gain a bunch of xp just healing my dumb teammates who just want to sprint everywhere (a big no no in this game online b/c it gives your location away)
      steelerfan -
      Sounds like a shooter for the Anti-Code Red adults.
      I OU a Beatn -
      Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
      #1 the game is definitely slow compared to a "traditional" FPS online game like COD.

#2 the game has allot of strategy and if you can get a group of 4 guys on the mics and you talk effectively you can really mow guys down quite easily.

#3 I've never run out of bullets but I do not run around and come out shooting guns blazing - mostly i sit back and gain a bunch of xp just healing my dumb teammates who just want to sprint everywhere (a big no no in this game online b/c it gives your location away)
      It's way slower than anything you can play. I think part of that is because all of the noobs playing it right now don't realize that just standing up and walking does not put you you on radar - only when running/shooting are you on radar. I think people crouch walk and sit still more now because they just don't know that. The other part is that's just the tendency of the game. The vast majority of people who play online can't aim to win a gun battle, so they need to camp and try to surprise someone.

I use the semi-auto rifle and you start with 7 bullets. Those 7 bullets take out a MAX of 2 guys before needing more ammo. I do the same thing virtually every match. I down 2 guys who are beside their other 2 buddies and I don't have any more ammo to charge in and take them down. It's simply bad design, IMO.
      CLW -
      From "way back" (July 28, 2014):

Yeah, I have it on the lowest setting right now, but it's still pretty bright, ha. I'll just have to change how I hold it. It reflects off my TV pretty badly even on dim.

Online is still fun as hell by the way.
      5 days later.....:

It's way slower than anything you can play. I think part of that is because all of the noobs playing it right now don't realize that just standing up and walking does not put you you on radar - only when running/shooting are you on radar. I think people crouch walk and sit still more now because they just don't know that. The other part is that's just the tendency of the game. The vast majority of people who play online can't aim to win a gun battle, so they need to camp and try to surprise someone.

I use the semi-auto rifle and you start with 7 bullets. Those 7 bullets take out a MAX of 2 guys before needing more ammo. I do the same thing virtually every match. I down 2 guys who are beside their other 2 buddies and I don't have any more ammo to charge in and take them down. It's simply bad design, IMO.
      Bipolar much?

Look it does take me on average a few mins (I haven't clocked it but my guess is 3-5 mins sometimes) to find a match but otherwise I really enjoy online especially survivor mode (1 life no re-spawn).

I use that same semi-auto rifle (+ a revolver) and I've NEVER ran out of bullets. You do realize you can "purchase" more bullets with the tools and points you acquire during a match?
      I OU a Beatn -
      Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
      From "way back" (July 28, 2014):

5 days later.....:

Bipolar much?

Look it does take me on average a few mins (I haven't clocked it but my guess is 3-5 mins sometimes) to find a match but otherwise I really enjoy online especially survivor mode (1 life no re-spawn).

I use that same semi-auto rifle (+ a revolver) and I've NEVER ran out of bullets. You do realize you can "purchase" more bullets with the tools and points you acquire during a match?
      It is fun, but I'm running around the entire time. If someone doesn't like the slow pace of the game and can't aim well enough to consistently take guys out who shoot them first, they straight up aren't going to like it.

You can only purchase bullets if you've accumulated enough cans, or whatever they're called. In the situation I outlined above where you waste 3 or 4 bullets on someone who just runs back to their team, you're now left with a situation where you have no cans to purchase ammo, nor are you left with a dead body to pick ammo up from (normally only 2 bullets anyway, not even enough to down a guy with full health unless you 2 head shot him).

Like I said, that particular aspect of it is just bad game design. I should start with absolutely no less than 14 bullets when using the Semi-auto rifle, IMO.
      I OU a Beatn -
      This matchmaking is really starting to put me off towards the game. I'll sit anywhere from 10-15 minutes waiting for the game to find me a full lobby. Then 90% of the time it'll put all the low level people on one team against a team stacked full of all the higher level games. Meanwhile, probably 50% of the time, the game has a bit of lag that makes you vulnerable to shots while you're in cover, poor hit detection, etc...

To top it off, probably half of those games that have lag are so bad that I'm getting the while plug of death every 5 seconds. It's a pity, because despite all the bullshit that already exists within the game (bow, planted bombs, smoke bombs, etc...), I really enjoy the game online.