• Ubisoft Announces Assassin's Creed Unity, Set in French Revolution

One day after leaked images hit the internet, Ubisoft officially announced Assassin's Creed Unity coming "Holidays 2014" to the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC with a sneak peek video featuring alpha game footage.

Assassin's Creed Unity will be set in Paris during the French Revolution. The setting is not a complete surprise as Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag featured numerous easter eggs hinting at possible locations for future games, including the French Revolution.

Continue on to see the sneak peek video along with some of the mentions from AC IV and what it could mean for Unity.

References from Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag:

Matrilineal line - 18th Century: French Revolution. What female will they be using the memories from?

"Liberty leading the People" by Eugène Delacroix (Far right). The painting commemorates the July Revolution of 1830, with the female personfication of Liberty leading the French people over bodes representing their fallen. In her right hand is the French flag and a musket in her left.

"I'm talking about guillotines, Robespierre, and Napoleon Bonaparte in the French Revolution?" This potentially gives the first indication of historical characters the player may encounter, although many may be obvious, including Marie Antoinette & King Louis XVI among others.

One of the markers - perhaps the most prominent - is placed front and center on France.

Another reference to the 18th century, originally mentioned above with the French Revolution.

"Take for instance the daguerreotype which warped our way of seeing true life." Invented by Louis Jacques-Mandé Daguerre (with help from others), the daguerreotype process was the first photographic process to have widespread use. Daguerre may fill the role of 'helpful inventor' that has been a regular device in the Assassin's Creed franchise.

Are there any other Easter eggs or references to the French Revolution within AC IV we may have missed?
    What are you hoping for in Unity?
    Comments 66 Comments
      cdj -
      One day after leaked images hit the internet, Ubisoft officially announced Assassin's Creed Unity coming "Holidays 2014" to the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC with a sneak peek video featuring alpha game footage.

Assassin's Creed Unity will be set in Paris during the French Revolution. The setting is not a complete surprise as Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag featured numerous easter eggs hinting at possible locations for future games, including the French Revolution.

References from Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag:

Matrilineal line - 18th Century: French Revolution. What female will they be using the memories from?

"Liberty leading the People" by Eugène Delacroix (Far right). The painting commemorates the July Revolution of 1830, with the female personfication of Liberty leading the French people over bodes representing their fallen. In her right hand is the French flag and a musket in her left.

"I'm talking about guillotines, Robespierre, and Napoleon Bonaparte in the French Revolution?" This potentially gives the first indication of historical characters the player may encounter, although many may be obvious, including Marie Antoinette & King Louis XVI among others.

One of the markers - perhaps the most prominent - is placed front and center on France.

Another reference to the 18th century, originally mentioned above with the French Revolution.

"Take for instance the daguerreotype which warped our way of seeing true life." Invented by Louis Jacques-Mandé Daguerre (with help from others), the daguerreotype process was the first photographic process to have widespread use. Daguerre may fill the role of 'helpful inventor' that has been a regular device in the Assassin's Creed franchise.

Are there any other Easter eggs or references to the French Revolution within AC IV we may have missed?
      What are you hoping for in Unity?

You can view the page at http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/for...nch-Revolution
      jaymo76 -
      Haven't ever played this series though I have been tempted to pick it up. Choice of the French Revolutionary period is an excellent idea as it is such a rich tapestry of events which may be included in the gameplay. I wll be following this closely to see where it ends up.
      Rudy -
      Assassin's Creed Black Flag was the first game I played in the series. Had a lot of fun and spent 53 hours on it! Just so much to do in the game. Just screwing around is fun. That's probably my biggest criticism though - the side stuff is as good or better than the main missions. It's not a story you really care about and there wasn't anything in the game that blew me away but I had fun.
      cdj -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
      Assassin's Creed Black Flag was the first game I played in the series. Had a lot of fun and spent 53 hours on it! Just so much to do in the game. Just screwing around is fun. That's probably my biggest criticism though - the side stuff is as good or better than the main missions. It's not a story you really care about and there wasn't anything in the game that blew me away but I had fun.
      Black Flag was probably the most fun of the franchise (or at least in top two or three), but advanced the story the least. Not surprising given how they changed the narrative of the (current-day) story, however. If Ubisoft is going to keep pumping out one or two AC games a year for the foreseeable future, the story probably won't advance much.
      SmoothPancakes -
      Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
      Black Flag was probably the most fun of the franchise (or at least in top two or three), but advanced the story the least. Not surprising given how they changed the narrative of the (current-day) story, however. If Ubisoft is going to keep pumping out one or two AC games a year for the foreseeable future, the story probably won't advance much.
      Yeah, the story was utterly, meh. I didn't care at all what was happening in the current-day story, and while it was an alright story for the past portion, it was entirely forgettable, however, it was better than the story in Assassin's Creed III. That said, Black Flag was the most fun Assassins's Creed that I've played. I couldn't put the game down for two weeks, it was literally the only game I touched. For story, far and away, Assassin's Creed II is tops. The story was good, and I genuinely enjoyed playing as Ezio.
      Rudy -
      I didn't even understand why they bother with the current day stuff. Just do the Assassin's Creed stuff and use a different character every time. I didn't enjoy the "waking up from a dream" stuff very much at all.

I enjoyed the stuff on the boats in AC4. It was fun to be a pirate although the boat controls were poorly explained in the game for rookies. It took me a long time how to do everything and I didn't even realize how to use Mortars until I was almost done the game. I thought Mortars were something else.
      gschwendt -
      Since you've not played any of the previous games, the present day stuff makes much more sense in the previous ones... a lot of the backstory is explained more in-depth in the first one.

That said, I certainly don't play the series for the present-day gameplay... it's just an excuse for them to be able to go to different time periods and loosely tie the games together.
      SmoothPancakes -
      I've bought and played every single Assassin's Creed game, and I couldn't possibly care less about the present day stuff. Even in the Ezio trilogy (II, Brotherhood and Revelations), I found the present day stuff to be nothing but a waste of my time and it greatly annoyed, aggravated and pissed me off every time I was forced to do more present day crap. It was good for nothing but breaking up flow of the ongoing story in the past.

You said it well G, the present day crap is essentially nothing more but an excuse thrown in so they can keep going from AC sequel to AC sequel with all of them "tied together" instead of as stand alone games. I say cut all the present day crap out. If they absolutely have to have it, have something at the start and something at the end, and everything in between be NOTHING but the stuff you do in the past in the Animus.
      CLW -
      CLW -
      CLW -
      E3 2014: 3 WAYS ASSASSIN’S CREED UNITY IMPROVES THE FORMULA

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/...es-the-formula
      JBHuskers -
      The four player co-op demo at E3 was pretty cool to watch. I've still yet to play an AC game but I have III and IV and Vita's Liberation so I will eventually get in.
      CLW -
      UBISOFT MONTREAL ANALYZING FUTURE FOLLOWING GOVERNMENT BENEFIT CUTS

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/...t-benefit-cuts
      CLW -
      souljahbill -
      I wasn't interested in the game after E3 but since they've been showing these 2 minute developer clips (I've been watching them on Facebook), this game looks REALLY good.
      cdj -
      Rudy -
      I really don't think I like those time anomalies. Not sure about this idea.
      cdj -
      I've seen a good number of people say they don't like it, but I think it seems like a clever idea. (Though who knows until retail how great of idea.)

One criticism acted as if they did it just to add guns - the franchise has already had gunplay in the past.
      souljahbill -
      I don't like to time travel thing either. I'd be cool with it were a different assassin in the other era but the same one 150 years or so later breaks a lot of the "immersion."