• EA SPORTS Announces CoachGlass for Madden NFL 25 Next-Gen on Xbox One

Tuesday morning, EA SPORTS announced CoachGlass for the Xbox One version of Madden NFL 25. Using SmartGlass (via smartphones and tablets), users can see opponent's offensive tendencies, top players, play history, and also receive play suggestions.

Continue on to read our takeaway and see the official press release from EA SPORTS.

Here is the official press release and CoachGlass images from EA SPORTS:

Product Description

The CoachGlass experience for Madden NFL 25, within SmartGlass for Xbox One, is a powerful new tool on smartphones and tablets which allows you to see your opponent’s offensive tendencies, biggest weapons, play history and more as the game unfolds; all while suggesting defensive plays that are likely to boost your odds of success. CoachGlass for Madden NFL 25 is like having a defensive coordinator right by your side.

Features

Assisted Defense Playcalling – As soon as your opponent selects his offensive formation CoachGlass will provide you with three separate recommended plays based on either personnel or tendencies, across all game modes (except Practice). These recommendations are pulled from tens of thousands of online games, and are tailored around which specific defensive formations and plays tend to have the best success against certain offensive formations and tendencies. Once you’ve called your play, CoachGlass lists out all the offense’s biggest threats so you know where to put your primary focus. This data is updated throughout the game so you always have the most pertinent information right at your fingertips.

Track Tendencies – CoachGlass allows you to keep track of your opponent’s tendencies in every Personnel Group combination, then plan your defense around taking them out of their comfort zone. Does the other team tend to throw short to the right side on second and long? Use CoachGlass to call a play that specifically defends that area of the field, and you’ll likely put your opponent in a third down hole.

Instant Recall – CoachGlass remembers the last 64 plays called during the game and provides an in-depth look at what’s worked and what hasn’t. Search through previous plays to decipher trends, and filter by down, personnel and more in order to try and get a bead on exactly what your opponent is going to do next.

New Co-Op Opportunities – CoachGlass allows one player to act as the defensive coordinator, while another takes control of the action on the field. Hand off CoachGlass to a friend or family member to let them operate as a strategic mastermind while you lay the lumber out on the gridiron. CoachGlass creates a whole new way to play Madden NFL 25, and helps teach the basic playcalling strategies of football in a fun and approachable way.

Constant Updates – New data is constantly being fed into CoachGlass, leading to continued refinement and even more helpful playcalling suggestions. The Madden NFL servers track the result of every online play, and CoachGlass will be regularly updated so that you have easy access to the best plays are available, regardless of the situation.

TGT Takeaway:

• CoachGlass is a welcome addition that leverages some of the new power and technology within the next-gen consoles (here, namely the Xbox One).
    • That leads into the next question: Will something similar be available for Madden NFL 25 or in the future on the PlayStation 4?
    • Will thisfeature work exactly the same across all game modes: Play Now, Online, Connected Franchise, Ultimate Team, etc.? (UPDATE: The newly release CoachGlass video states that the feature will work across all modes. We will revise our question to ask if the feature works exactly the same in all modes.)
    • Having stats and info available in the palm of your hand helps should help immerse the user more than ever without relying on increased statistical presentation aspects in-game.
    • The most intriguing aspect is the Community Suggestions feature. It will be interesting to see if this changes the way people play or even alters popular trends online, provided people can counter or stop the play at hand with the suggested play alone without additional defensive hot routes.

Now that you know about CoachGlass, share your thoughts with the community.
    Comments 15 Comments
      CLW -
      WTF why not PS4? It also has smartglass capabilities. Oh wait that's right Sony refused to play ball on DRM.
      souljahbill -
      Who has time to put a controller down to read their iPad?
      gschwendt -
      Engadget shows Coach Glass and it shows a bit of actual gameplay...

JBHuskers -
      Does Madden have Coach Mode? I never have looked for it. This would be awesome for that. Otherwise, I'm fine without it.
      gschwendt -
      jaymo76 -
      Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
      WTF why not PS4? It also has smartglass capabilities. Oh wait that's right Sony refused to play ball on DRM.
      So it is confirmed that it's only an xbox feature and not for ps 4 as of yet? I thought that there were no exclusive GAMEPLAY-based features for madden? I guess this is not the case...
      CLW -
      Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
      And with that I am OUT. I'm not supporting a company that gives extra features to one console over another. They did 30 FPS / 60 FPS last gen and now smart glass PS4/XB1. I'll take my $60 and use it somewhere else.
      JBHuskers -
      Well PS4 does have an app coming to rival Smartglass. So I wouldn't count it out yet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx since I'm too lazy to get to the CPU using Tapatalk 4
      psuexv -
      Cool feature but tracking trends doesn't really do it me. I'd like it better if it allowed to make on the fly substitutions by each position, set audibles, things like that
      JBHuskers -
      The whole 2nd screen thing doesn't interest me in TV shows, mainly because I watch off the DVR. As for gaming, it's just another distraction that hasn't interested me yet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx since I'm too lazy to get to the CPU using Tapatalk 4
      Rudy -
      I think this could be really cool. Pissed that it won't be available for PS4 but since I won't be getting one until at least 2014 it won't bother me unless I can use it next year.

What I really hope this does is provide technology to make the cpu smarter on both offense and defense so users can't call the same plays over and over again.
      Jayrah -
      It's GREAT!... But too much. Unless you turn off the play clock it will be an incredibly difficult feature to implement. It's difficult enough with the 10 seconds you have in the defensive play screen to call a play to match personnel.
      Rudy -
      This is where I believe the Wii U controller would be great. You wouldn't have to use two separate things. But the Wii U is last gen horsepower wise and not intended for sports gamers.
      jaymo76 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
      I think this could be really cool. Pissed that it won't be available for PS4 but since I won't be getting one until at least 2014 it won't bother me unless I can use it next year.

What I really hope this does is provide technology to make the cpu smarter on both offense and defense so users can't call the same plays over and over again.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jayrah View Post
      It's GREAT!... But too much. Unless you turn off the play clock it will be an incredibly difficult feature to implement. It's difficult enough with the 10 seconds you have in the defensive play screen to call a play to match personnel.
      I also think this could be great. The ps4 thing is disappointing but I suspect it will be added in a year or two. The big issue though is time. I just don't know if I can multitask that well???
      steelerfan -
      I don't have Madden 25 so this is just a statement and not an observation.

None of this will matter if the game does not have balance. If offense rules the day, why do I care what defense you might call? You can't stop me anyway. Conversely, if I'm on defense, knowing what you might do won't matter if I can't stop it.