• More Fallout from EA Likeness Settlement

Following the cancellation of a college sports title from EA SPORTS for 2014 - and likely indefinitely - there has been no shortage of news, albeit expected or bizarre. Here is a quick rundown of what has transpired since then.

Continue on to read the full article.

- Kotaku: The NCAA Football development team was 'blindsided' by this news and were hard at work on College Football 15 when the cancellation came down. Some NCAA staffers were moved to Madden, while others (from NCAA & Madden) were let go.

- The lawyers for the plaintiffs never intended for EA to quit making NCAA Football games. Terms of the settlement did NOT include any language preventing EA from publishing the game or future name, image, or likeness usage. The Lanier Law Firm did announce that "based on this settlement and other recent court rulings, EA Sports has agreed to change the way it develops future games featuring NCAA athletes in order to protect the rights to their likenesses."

- Friday night, TGT's cdj joined pastapadre & Rich Grisham on the Press Row Hangout to discuss the cancellation of NCAA Football.

- Despite the cancellation, EA SPORTS has continued to be active on the NCAA Football Twitter & Facebook accounts. The company has even begun to market the cancellation, telling customers to "Get It Before It's Gone" via their official product webpage and dynamic banner images in various EA SPORTS titles, including Tiger Woods PGA TOUR.

- Following the settlement, one of the litigants (Ryan Hart, Rutgers) ceased communication with the legal team and retained new counsel. However, there is concern that some of his requests "would be contrary to law and would breach (their) fiduciary duties to the class as a whole." In the Friday night filing, the legal team stated that Hart "has chosen not to communicate" with them. Instead, they wrote, Hart "has communicated information … through his father-in-law indicating that Hart's narrow personal interests now conflict with the absent class members and that he no longer adequately represents the class as a whole."
    Comments 67 Comments
      Rudy -
      How do the college football players pay union dues? Who would represent them?
      CLW -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
      That's the big question I pose in the union thread in the college sports section. Only a moron would vote to pay someone for a "job" that they are not paid $ for. They would be represented most likely by the morons currently trying to organize them.
      thatBuckeye -
      There won't be a union. They won the right to attempt to unionize which means they will be recognized as employees rather than student athletes. That was the whole goal.... the NCAA got the "amateur" status by saying they were student athletes therefore they could not reap the rewards/benefits from their likeness or be entitled to the money the colleges make off of them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
      Rudy -
      Reading that union vote resulted in no union. One tweet said it was 4-1 in favour of no union.
      CLW -
      Reading that union vote resulted in no union. One tweet said it was 4-1 in favour of no union.
      LMAO the union will now file suit against the NCAA and Northwestern and argue they intimidated the players in violation of labor law. Book it. Another lawsuit is coming.
      Rudy -
      It was wierd that this union movement was started at Northwestern where the players are treated well. That's what the current captain said and it's why the union vote failed there. I don't see any lawsuit coming on their behalf. If a union wants to make this happen they are far better off finding a Div I school where players are having their schollies cut and treated poorly.
      CLW -
      It was wierd that this union movement was started at Northwestern where the players are treated well. That's what the current captain said and it's why the union vote failed there. I don't see any lawsuit coming on their behalf. If a union wants to make this happen they are far better off finding a Div I school where players are having their schollies cut and treated poorly.
      The lawsuit will be filed and it will be filed by the union v. northwestern. The union will argue basically that the university "brain washed" the players and/or intimidating them against voting in favor of the union. I mean b/c no one could logically determine on their own that they would want to pay for representation for an unpaid "job".