• No College Football Game From EA SPORTS in 2014, Future to be Assessed

This afternoon, Cam Weber (GM of American Football at EA SPORTS) announced that the company will not publish a college football title in 2014 and that the future of the franchise is in doubt. Weber stated that the company being caught in the dispute between the NCAA and student-athletes along with the NCAA & several conferences withdrawing support led to the decision. He also added that EA SPORTS is working to settle lawsuits with the student-athletes.

Later in the day it was announced that EA SPORTS had settled a series of class-action lawsuits. It is believed that the settlement will affect between 200,000 and 300,000 current and former college players. Terms of the settlement are confidential pending a court filing. From CBS Sports: The settlement affects lawsuits brought by former Rutgers quarterback Ryan Hart, former Nebraska and Arizona State quarterback Sam Keller and former UCLA basketball star O'Bannon. The settlement does not include the NCAA's ongoing battle with O'Bannon and other plaintiffs in the fight over the rights to player likenesses.

Continue on to read the full press release from Weber & EA SPORTS.

Today I am sad to announce that we will not be publishing a new college football game next year, and we are evaluating our plan for the future of the franchise. This is as profoundly disappointing to the people who make this game as I expect it will be for the millions who enjoy playing it each year. I’d like to explain a couple of the factors that brought us to this decision.

We have been stuck in the middle of a dispute between the NCAA and student-athletes who seek compensation for playing college football. Just like companies that broadcast college games and those that provide equipment and apparel, we follow rules that are set by the NCAA – but those rules are being challenged by some student-athletes. For our part, we are working to settle the lawsuits with the student-athletes. Meanwhile, the NCAA and a number of conferences have withdrawn their support of our game. The ongoing legal issues combined with increased questions surrounding schools and conferences have left us in a difficult position – one that challenges our ability to deliver an authentic sports experience, which is the very foundation of EA SPORTS games.

At EA SPORTS, college football has always been a labor of love, and it is unfortunate that these business and legal issues have impacted our ability to make next year’s game. This franchise has been developed by a team that is deeply committed to the tradition and culture of this sport – that’s why fans have always loved it. We are working to retain the talented people who are part of the team by placing them elsewhere within the EA SPORTS organization.

In the meantime, we will continue to be connected and engaged with our fans who are playing EA SPORTS NCAA Football. Our decision does not affect our commitment to NCAA Football 14 and the consumers who love playing the game.
    Comments 223 Comments
      Stan HAMsen -
      In before CLW says "hate to say I told you so."
      steelerfan -
      Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
      I won't have problems waiting at this point. NHL, NCAA, and Madden will keep me plenty busy.
      Been keeping busy with NHL and GTA but still, it's FIFA.

I'm using Tapatalk 2 and the Cleveland Browns STILL suck.
      I OU a Beatn -
      Quote Originally Posted by Stan HAMsen View Post
      Nope.
      CLW -
      Wrong.
      Stan HAMsen -
      Damn, so close.
      CLW -
      Quote Originally Posted by I OU a Beatn View Post
      Nope.
      When will you guys STOP questioning the MIGHTY resident lawyer when an issue of law comes up? See e.g., Trayvon Martin and Sam Keller et al. etc.....

The resident lawyer rests his case.
      CLW -
      Damn, so close.
      True statement.

I will say this and let others comment for awhile. EA may have stopped fighting the lawsuit, however I know they would jump in and pay a small license fee to the college players IF it were permitted. Why not its easier to sell a game with Johnny Douchebag at QB instead of #2.

As such, when/if the NCAA collapses and college athletes are allowed to be paid look for EA to jump in and pay for an exclusive license again.

I don't agree with that approach but it appears to be the only chance for a rebirth of the series and appears to be at least somewhat likely given the political/cultural climate the country now seems to be in.
      I OU a Beatn -
      Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
      When will you guys STOP questioning the MIGHTY resident lawyer when an issue of law comes up? See e.g., Trayvon Martin and Sam Keller et al. etc.....

The resident lawyer rests his case.
      I never questioned you. I meant "nope" to him beating you to the punch.
      CLW -
      Quote Originally Posted by I OU a Beatn View Post
      I never questioned you. I meant "nope" to him beating you to the punch.
      I know it was more of a general comment to all at TGT who called me a "moron" etc.... for predicting the END of the series. Honestly, the only reason I still own 14 right now is b/c I suspected this was happening with the launch PR being horrible, no support post launch, etc... 14 will stay on my shelf like 2K8 remains on my shelf.
      NatureBoy -
      I hate to see the game go away. It's always been one of my favorites going back to the Bill Walsh days on the Sega Genesis. I hope the dev team can catch on with another game or something. I hate to see people lose their jobs.
      steelerfan -
      Quote Originally Posted by NatureBoy View Post
      I hate to see people lose their jobs.
      Since I didn't even get 14 and barely played 13, this is my ONLY immediate concern. I hope everyone lands on their feet without too much distress.

xMrHitStickx904 -
      I loved the NCAA Football series, I initially got into that before Madden. Needless to say, I'm pretty disappointed to see it go. Hopefully it returns when the smoke clears.
      Deuce -
      Man, this really, really sucks. 95% of the time I spend on video games is on NCAA. I sure hope I can learn to like Madden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
      CLW -
      Its also possible this is a "legal strategy" to drum up some moral support from the public while the 1st Amendment issue is still pending before SCOTUS. Probably a long shot but companies do play these type of games with lawsuits. It's 3D chess sometimes not checkers.

I doubt this is the case but you never know and there is also the potential 5-4 Conservative block victory that would save EA's bacon and they could pull a 180 and bring the game back in 15 as well. Again, doesn't seem likely since they have indicated they are basically trying to cut their losses and settle the lawsuit.
      ram29jackson -
      tell Gschwendts wife to hide the knives out of the kitchen
      CLW -
      Shhhh Don't tell Dr. CLW about this as she will try to use it as a reason to cancel my PS4 preorder and get me out of video games all together.
      steelerfan -
      Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
      Shhhh Don't tell Dr. CLW about this as she will try to use it as a reason to cancel my PS4 preorder and get me out of video games all together.
      Attachment 717

JBHuskers -
      The class action lawsuit could include up to 100k players.
      CLW -
      Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
      The class action lawsuit could include up to 100k players.
      I would suspect > than that. As I recall, the proposed class is: (1) ALL current players (roughly 11,000); (2) ALL former players over the HISTORY of the series - 21 years (possibly 200,000+?)

I'd have to think about it as obviously the teams actually in the game have grown over the years but the number of Plaintiffs they will have to pay off is going to be huge.

HINT HINT. Keller and O'bannon will get paid well (named plaintiffs always due) but the rest of the players will get a few hundred bucks and the Plaintiff's lawyers will bring in MILLIONS when this is all said in done.

Life Lesson: In a lawsuit the only people that win are the lawyers.
      CLW -
      Well that takes out one of the miracles for the series to return. I'll never support paying college athletes (they are already paid with a free college education) so time to find a new series to spend that $60 on.