• SEC, Big Ten, Pac-12 won't license trademarks in next EA SPORTS college football game

ESPN.com is reporting that the Southeastern Conference & Big Ten Conference will be joining the NCAA and no longer license its trademarks with EA SPORTS and their college football franchise. CBS Sports is also reporting that the Pac-12 will also join the SEC & B1G in their decision.

While this means the removal of the SEC, P12, & Big Ten names, logos, and other trademarked conference-related items, the member schools will still make their own determination if they will appear in the product.

Joystiq's Mike Suszek adds that "150 collegiate institutions, including SEC schools, have approved renewal of the EA college football license, to begin with the 2015 edition. As with any licensed product, individual schools continue to make their own decisions."

AL.com reports that Texas A&M, LSU, and Tennessee will allow their marks to be used by EA SPORTS. They also list Kentucky, Arkansas, and the American Athletic, CUSA, and Sun Belt as weighing their options.

[UPDATE] The University of Washington appears to be the first school to publicly announce they do not plan on allowing their trademarks to appear in future editions of EA SPORTS' college football title. This comes nine months after giving customized copies of NCAA 13 to outgoing seniors. However, Kotaku's Owen Good reports that only one school from NCAA 14 will not be in next year's title and that the SEC is signed on for one more version.

What does this mean for the franchise? It is expected that the next title in the franchise will feature a generic name for the SEC & Big Ten. Though, much remains up in the air as this news amplifies significant concerns that numerous conferences and programs may follow suit.

From an EA SPORTS College Football 15 design standpoint, there is some community-based discussion that this may lead to a more customizable game, namely within the Custom Conferences feature to edit names, add logos, edit bowl tie-ins, etc. The offseason has now featured the NCAA, Big Ten, SEC removing themselves from the franchise and many conferences revamping bowl tie-ins. With more conference realignment in the future, these changes may lead to more customization and user options within the franchise. However, there is still the growing concern that should an excessive number of licensed partners jump ship, the franchise may be cancelled.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: NCAA will not renew EA Sports contract [UPDATED with EA Statement] started by cdj View original post
    Comments 109 Comments
      steelerfan -

I'm using Tapatalk 2 and the Cleveland Browns STILL suck.
      psusnoop -
      Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
      Well EA has come out and said there will be a game. I am sure they were aware of this happening when the NCAA pulled out. Just chill out and wait for it to play out
      SCClassof93 -
      I can't wait to look at my ps4 friends list in the future and see all of you playing, "EA Sports, Use Your Imagination College Football", complete with all your imaginary schools, conferences etc
      psusnoop -
      Quote Originally Posted by SCClassof93 View Post
      I can't wait to look at my ps4 friends list in the future and see all of you playing, "EA Sports, Use Your Imagination College Football", complete with all your imaginary schools, conferences etc
      While we are playing EA Sports College Football, you guys can play judge

SCClassof93 -
      Quote Originally Posted by psusnoop View Post
      While we are playing EA Sports College Football, you guys can play judge

Just remember snoop, I will never judge you........I will judge your actions and choices.......you know like playing Fat Princess or Hannah Montana and then...........
      psusnoop -
      Just remember snoop, I will never judge you........I will judge your actions and choices.......you know like playing Fat Princess or Hannah Montana and then...........
      SCClassof93 -
      Quote Originally Posted by psusnoop View Post
      Let me know when you want to talk about your golf game
      WarEagle -
      Quote Originally Posted by johntom2000 View Post
      Looks like I will be keeping this copy of NCAA for a long time.
      I may be wrong in the exact time frames, but doesn't EA kill off the NCAA 'xx servers after 2 years? What makes anyone think they'll not shutter them much more quickly if '14, or '15 (which I don't have faith in appearing on the shelves), is the last offering? I would guess keeping the servers active costs money, a cash flow that was always replaced by the next version of the game. No 'next', therefore no influx of cash, therefore no servers.
      JBHuskers -
      If it has an Online Dynasty, I'm down!
      CLW -
      not dead yet. Love how people just love to jump off the ship at the immediate sight of news.

If schools back out, then start to worry. I can deal with the SEC being the South Conference or whatever generic thing they come up with.
      Quote Originally Posted by xGRIDIRONxGURUx View Post
      now I remember why avoid these lawsuit threads... everybody is a lwayer on the internet...

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2
      Yep I need to sue all these fake laywers. The TGT only has ONE resident lawyer.
      JBHuskers -
      Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
      Yep I need to sue all these fake laywers. The TGT only has ONE resident lawyer.
      I dunno, you got called out good for misinformation a few weeks ago IIRC
      ram29jackson -
      Well EA has come out and said there will be a game. I am sure they were aware of this happening when the NCAA pulled out. Just chill out and wait for it to play out
      source please
      ram29jackson -
      with me as creative consultant

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
      JBHuskers -
      Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
      source please
      Look for it in the thread about the NCAA not renewing. It's in there somewhere.
      ram29jackson -
      that was 3 weeks ago though. Added details/schools defecting cant change that conclusion ?
      JBHuskers -
      Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
      that was 3 weeks ago though. Added details/schools defecting cant change that conclusion ?
      That's what I am saying. EA should have either expected this would happen or knew ahead of time.
      morsdraconis -
      That's what I am saying. EA should have either expected this would happen or knew ahead of time.
      Like they did with NBA Live and then, at the last minute, decided to scrap it? I'll believe it when it hits the shelves next year JB.
      SCClassof93 -
      I vaguely remember a second patch for TW14 was promised as well
      SCClassof93 -
      Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
      Like they did with NBA Live and then, at the last minute, decided to scrap it? I'll believe it when it hits the shelves next year JB.
      This.
      CLW -
      I dunno, you got called out good for misinformation a few weeks ago IIRC