• NCAA will not renew EA Sports contract [UPDATED with EA Statement]

Per the NCAA:

The NCAA has made the decision not to enter a new contract for the license of its name and logo for the EA Sports NCAA Football video game. The current contract expires in June 2014, but our timing is based on the need to provide EA notice for future planning. As a result, the NCAA Football 2014 video game will be the last to include the NCAA’s name and logo. We are confident in our legal position regarding the use of our trademarks in video games. But given the current business climate and costs of litigation, we determined participating in this game is not in the best interests of the NCAA.

The NCAA has never licensed the use of current student-athlete names, images or likenesses to EA. The NCAA has no involvement in licenses between EA and former student-athletes. Member colleges and universities license their own trademarks and other intellectual property for the video game. They will have to independently decide whether to continue those business arrangements in the future.

Time will tell on what this means for EA SPORTS. Could this mean the end of college football video games? Or does this mean the birth of EA SPORTS College Football with the company needing to reach licenses with individual schools and no longer needing to have the game meet the standards of the NCAA?

Updated story after the break.

UPDATE:
    As the story continues to unfold, many are reporting that while the NCAA would no longer be involved with the EA SPORTS game, that does still leave the possibility of EA SPORTS contracting directly with the CLC (Collegiate Licensing Company) which does "represent nearly 200 of the nation’s top colleges, universities, bowl games, athletic conferences, the Heisman Trophy, and the NCAA." That would allow for EA to continue to release a game by just simply changing the title (maybe Bill Walsh Football 2015? College Football 2015?).

Brett McMurphy of ESPN has stated on twitter that a game will be released beyond this year, just without the affiliation of the NCAA.
    UPDATE 2:
    EA has released their official response. This from Andrew Wilson, Executive Vice President of EA SPORTS.

By now, most fans will have heard that EA's licensing agreement with the NCAA is set to expire and that we have agreed to part ways. I'm sure gamers are wondering what this means.

This is simple: EA SPORTS will continue to develop and publish college football games, but we will no longer include the NCAA names and marks. Our relationship with the Collegiate Licensing Company is strong and we are already working on a new game for next generation consoles which will launch next year and feature the college teams, leagues and all the innovation fans expect from EA SPORTS.

We took big creative strides with this year's college game and you’ll see much more in the future. We love college football and look forward to making more games for our fans.

UPDATE 3:

From IGN: Following its loss of the NCAA license, EA has struck a new deal with the College Licensing Company to continue making college football games.

According to Polygon, the contract with the CLC will start in July 2014 and will last for three years, giving EA rights to “more than 150 colleges, conferences and bowl games.”

From USA Today: More than 150 colleges, conferences and bowl games have approved a three-year contract extension with EA Sports to continue production of its college football video game, which has been at the center of a legal controversy.

The announcement, confirmed Friday, comes two days after the NCAA announced it would not renew its contract with EA Sports after next year, citing business reasons and litigation costs amid a raft of lawsuits involving the game. The NCAA's decision means the popular game no longer will be called "NCAA Football" but rather "College Football," with each school or league deciding to opt in or out through Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC), their licensing agent. Some schools did opt out for different reasons, though it's not clear how many. CLC represents nearly 200 colleges, conferences and bowl games.

"More than 150 colleges, conferences and Bowl Games have approved the extension thus far," CLC spokesman Andrew Giangola told USA TODAY Sports. "For various reasons, schools and conferences typically come and go across the life span of any licensed product, as is the case with this game."

We'll continue to share more information about the story as it continues to unfold.
    Comments 178 Comments
      JBHuskers -
      My first guess. College Football 15 instead of NCAA Football 15. Gonna be interesting to see how this plays out.
      xMrHitStickx904 -
      Honestly, I think the series itself is done. I don't see many people buying a game where it's inevitably going to be stripped down. Not all of the bowls will be there, some schools many not appear. it'll be a mess.
      AustinWolv -
      Looks like the need to hang on to current gen titles shall exist until things flesh out......
      Kingpin32 -
      Quote Originally Posted by xMrHitStickx904 View Post
      Honestly, I think the series itself is done. I don't see many people buying a game where it's inevitably going to be stripped down. Not all of the bowls will be there, some schools many not appear. it'll be a mess.
      I think it has less to do with sales, and more of the NCAA being in dicey water with the paying of student athletes.
      souljahbill -
      Now I really have no reason to jump to next-gen for a few years.
      JBHuskers -
      Quote Originally Posted by AustinWolv View Post
      Looks like the need to hang on to current gen titles shall exist until things flesh out......
      As long as the OD servers stay up
      morsdraconis -
      Whoa. I gotta say, of all the things that I thought could have happened with all the bullshit legal stuff happening, this was certainly not it.

This game really might be dead. Holy shit.
      GatorfanStovy -
      my bad didn't know there was a thread on this.
      cdj -
      I'm not sure, but I don't think they would need to individually license all schools, bowls, etc.:

The CLC represents nearly 200 of the nation’s top colleges, universities, bowl games, athletic conferences, the Heisman Trophy, and the NCAA.

So long as they have a deal with the CLC, I think they have rights to many universities. The bigger question is if the company feels the investment is worth the title at that point.

EDIT - From CBS Sports:

If the NCAA's conferences and entities like the Collegiate Licensing Company choose to continue its cooperation with EA, the only major change to the series could be the name. On the other hand, the rapidly deteriorating relationship between the NCAA and EA Sports could make renewing those licenses individually an awkward proposition.
      souljahbill -
      Guess when my game arrives next week, I can start on my 60-year dynasty.
      Kingpin32 -
      Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
      I'm not sure, but I don't think they would need to individually license all schools, bowls, etc.:

The CLC represents nearly 200 of the nation’s top colleges, universities, bowl games, athletic conferences, the Heisman Trophy, and the NCAA.

So long as they have a deal with the CLC, I think they have rights to many universities. The bigger question is if the company feels the investment is worth the title at that point.
      I think if Live flops again, EA Sports is down to 2 big selling games Madden and FIFA. I'm not sure on the numbers for NCAA and Tiger Woods, but I'm sure NCAA is in the top 3. They might still need a way to bring in that NCAA crowd.
      JBHuskers -

EDIT - From CBS Sports:

If the NCAA's conferences and entities like the Collegiate Licensing Company choose to continue its cooperation with EA, the only major change to the series could be the name. On the other hand, the rapidly deteriorating relationship between the NCAA and EA Sports could make renewing those licenses individually an awkward proposition.
      Watch the game not miss a beat and the NCAA comes crawling back in a couple years
      CLW -
      100% lawsuit related

EDIT: Also EA will have the same issues so long as they market/sell a "college" game.

Kiss the series good bye folks college sports games are DONE unless/until they get an outright victory by the SCOTUS.
      souljahbill -
      I'm cool playing Saban '15.
      CLW -
      Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
      As long as the OD servers stay up
      They won't b/c athletes can sue; the NCAA could sue for using its logo after the K expired; etc...

THIS IS BAD NEWS! The series is FINISHED unless they get a complete victory in the Keller lawsuit. Again, I hate to say I told you so.....
      Kingpin32 -
      Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
      100% lawsuit related

EDIT: Also EA will have the same issues so long as they market/sell a "college" game.

Kiss the series good bye folks college sports games are DONE unless/until they get an outright victory by the SCOTUS.
      Or they pay the players.
      DertyMat -
      Wow, I was hoping 2k sports would get a crack or some other company to add competition. However I guess no?

It seems it has more to do with the costs of litigation involving NCAA/EA/Student Athletes. I can't believe they couldnt find an easier way to deal with that issue. I mean Just release a totally fake in-game roster, but an online roster editor early so players can customize it.

Well it's too late for that.
      cdj -
      psuexv -

EDIT - From CBS Sports:

Yeah this has always been interesting to me. The NCAA is just an association that the schools belong to and the licensing of the individual schools and such is done primarily by the CLC. From that link the CLC licenses the NCAA so who knows how that relationship actually works out.
      DertyMat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kingpin32 View Post
      Or they pay the players.
      NCAA wouldn't allow that