• NCAA Football 14 - Play a Season

EA SPORTS has posted the fifth and final scheduled NCAA Football 14 playbook blog of the season, this one detailing the "Play a Season" mode.

Continue on to learn about this one season, no recruiting mode and then share your thoughts with the community.

College football is all about following your favorite team. Living and dying by their performance each week is how real fans get through the season. This year, you can live out your team’s schedule with Play a Season mode in NCAA Football 14.

ONE SHOT AT GLORY

In Play a Season, you take your favorite team through their full 2013 schedule. There are no off-field commitments to attend to so you are free to leave it all on the field. Every team’s slate of games is 100% accurate, down to the location and time of day. If your team plays in one of the season-opening kickoff games (Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game, Cowboy Kickoff Classic or Texas Kickoff Classic) you’ll find yourself in the Georgia Dome, Cowboys Stadium or Reliant Stadium, accordingly. If it’s true to your team’s upcoming season, then it’s true to the game.

One of the nice things about Play a Season is that without any off-field commitments, you can quickly complete a full schedule and then pick a new team to do it all again. Jump from the SEC to the Big Ten to the ACC and back again, or run through the competition with perennial powerhouse Alabama then see if you can pull off a miracle season with the Kentucky Wildcats.

One thing the development team noticed as the season progressed was more and more fans starting a Dynasty with Notre Dame. Many people who jumped into the mode wanted to see if they could replicate the success of the Fighting Irish, and tried to keep pace with a team that was doing phenomenally well on Saturdays. Play a Season is a great way to connect with the real-world of college football.

ALL THE BELLS AND WHISTLES

Games within Play a Season have all the pageantry and trapping fans have come to expect from theNCAA Football franchise. Rece Davis will welcome you with the pre-game show, setting the stage and introducing the matchup. After a brief music video to get you hyped, you’re off to kickoff and ready to roll.

As the season goes on, Kirk Herbstreit and Brad Nessler will identify Impact Players and offer commentary based on performances. Rece will also chime in at key moments with Studio Updates (capitalize?) that are relevant to your season. Rece will be joined by David Pollack for the halftime show, which shows highlights and offers analysis of the first half and some insights on what to expect in the final two quarters.

The ultimate goal of Play a Season is to provide you with another way to enjoy the passion and intensity of college football. Maybe you want to blaze through your team’s upcoming season, or play each week’s game before it happens. Conversely, you can also revisit the most recent game to either relive the glory of victory or right the wrong of defeat. The most important thing is to have fun. Winning a National Championship isn’t such a bad thing either.

Keep up on all the latest NCAA Football 14 news & media heading into the July 9 release date with our NCAA 14 News & Info Central page. We'll provide all the best & latest information regarding improvements to Gameplay & Infinity Engine 2, Dynasty Mode, Presentation, and new features such as NCAA Football Ultimate Team & Play a Season.

NCAA Football 14 News & Information Central: http://tgt.pw/ncaa14info
    Comments 24 Comments
      Big Blue -
      They made season mode by taking dynasty, removing recruiting and forcing the mode to end after one season. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there is anything new here.
      SCClassof93 -
      Probably tie trophies to this
      CLW -
      Everyone that was just SCREAMING for this feature speak now....

bdoughty -
      Revolutionary stuff. Takes me back to the 90's and makes me feel special again.
      OSUCowboyofMD -
      Wtf is this? Cmon EA
      DynastyJunkie -
      Variety... That's what we need. However, I'm more pumped for Dynasty mode!
      SmoothPancakes -
      I don't know what's funnier? This mode, or everyone's reaction to it now that the "details" have been released.

I knew from the moment the playbook schedule came out and this was listed, this mode was going to be EXACTLY what it actually is. Why else would it be called Play a Season? It literally is nothing more than playing the 2013 season over and over with nothing else in it. The name alone completely described what the mode was going to be.
      bdoughty -
      Maybe we thought you could play a season, "using special cards" that offered magical spells and special abilities and instead of a coin toss, you went Rock-paper-scissors-lizard-Spock. At least that would have been creative.
      SmoothPancakes -
      Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
      Maybe we thought you could play a season, "using special cards" that offered magical spells and special abilities and instead of a coin toss, you went Rock-paper-scissors-lizard-Spock. At least that would have been creative.
      Come on, that would have been totally unbalanced! Everyone knows Spock beats rock, paper, scissors AND lizard. It would have been worse than the douchebags online now.
      CLW -
      I was hoping they would at least bring back the red explosion ring when your impact player scores a TD.
      KIDZER0918 -
      It sounds like they are trying to hype this mode up so much. WTF were they thinking...why is this even a playbook, stay tuned for the sizzle video tmrw!
      Big Blue -
      Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
      I don't know what's funnier? This mode, or everyone's reaction to it now that the "details" have been released.

I knew from the moment the playbook schedule came out and this was listed, this mode was going to be EXACTLY what it actually is. Why else would it be called Play a Season? It literally is nothing more than playing the 2013 season over and over with nothing else in it. The name alone completely described what the mode was going to be.
      I just thought they might have added some small touches to make the mode feel more unique.
      Jayrah -
      Quote Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
      I just thought they might have added some small touches to make the mode feel more unique.
      That's what I thought too. Although I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was going to be what it is. "Play exactly the way you usually play! Nothing's changed whatsoever!"
      cdj -
      Nice feature for segment that plays one Dynasty season and doesn't like to recruit, but there was no need for a scheduled & "full" blog discussing it. It could have been the lead-off to any other number of blogs - perhaps a blog discussing some of the smaller game additions that didn't make it into previous entries or maybe even attached to a blog on official site with demo details. (There is yet to be anything official regarding the demo on the official product site.)
      jaymo76 -
      Yeah I'm not sure wy so many people (on other sites) are so upset. Season mode is exactly as it sounds. There is no need for a blog. I'm a dynasty guy so this does nothing for me but I'm sure some people will play it.
      steelerfan -
      Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
      Nice feature for segment that plays one Dynasty season and doesn't like to recruit, but there was no need for a scheduled & "full" blog discussing it. It could have been the lead-off to any other number of blogs - perhaps a blog discussing some of the smaller game additions that didn't make it into previous entries or maybe even attached to a blog on official site with demo details. (There is yet to be anything official regarding the demo on the official product site.)
      Agreed. I can see a use for this (though you could just play games and not worry about recruiting to get the same effect) for a few people. I think it really comes down to needing another "easy" feature. Let's face it - this year has been very slim (relative to past years) when it comes to changes/additions/new features.

That said, I'm actually fairly excited about what I have seen so far and think this could be a very good year for NCAA.

I think that enough focus has shifted to next gen that 14 was destined to be light on new features. "Season Mode" is a simple addition (by subtraction) that gives marketing something else to promote in an otherwise lean year.

I'm using Tapatalk 2 and the Cleveland Browns STILL suck.
      GatorfanStovy -
      season mode just needs to go away and put more effort into RTG and dynasty !
      ltlgas321 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
      They made season mode by taking dynasty, removing recruiting and forcing the mode to end after one season. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there is anything new here.
      I get so tired of seeing EA waste disk space with crap like this that no one cares about. Yet when you ask them why we can't have a full allotment of scholarships in dynasty they say its because there is not enough available space for all the extra roster spots.

Well get rid of crap like this and open up some space. You will also free up some employees to fix issues that have plagued this game for years.

Makes too much sense for anyone to actually do it.
      xGRIDIRONxGURUx -
      Quote Originally Posted by ltlgas321 View Post
      I get so tired of seeing EA waste disk space with crap like this that no one cares about. Yet when you ask them why we can't have a full allotment of scholarships in dynasty they say its because there is not enough available space for all the extra roster spots.

Well get rid of crap like this and open up some space. You will also free up some employees to fix issues that have plagued this game for years.

Makes too much sense for anyone to actually do it.
      i am not a programming guy but i am almost certain that this mode takes up no additional space since it probably uses the scheduling and stuff from Dynasty
      JBHuskers -
      Quote Originally Posted by xGRIDIRONxGURUx View Post
      i am not a programming guy but i am almost certain that this mode takes up no additional space since it probably uses the scheduling and stuff from Dynasty
      Yeah you're pretty much spot on.