• Charleston Daily Mail: Visit from WVU staff helps change EA game

In March, the Charleston (WV) Daily Mail revealed that two West Virginia football staffers visited EA SPORTS to help them improve the realism and fun factor while recruiting within Dynasty Mode in NCAA Football.

With Dynasty Mode improvements formally announced by EA SPORTS this week, the Daily Mail was now able to learn from WVU staffers Director of Football Operations Alex Hammond and Coordinator of Recruiting Operations Ryan Dorchester, and also NCAA Football Producer Ben Haumiller on how they helped to improve the game.

Continue on to read some excerpts of the article and click here to read Mike Casazza's full article at dailymail.com.

"It wasn't necessarily how you recruit a kid," Dorchester said in March. "That's hard. I don't know how you can really replicate that in a video game. A lot of it was saying, 'Here are some things that we feel aren't necessarily realistic in the video game and here's how those things happen in real life.' Understanding it can't exactly be simulated in a video game, we just wanted to give them an idea of what it was like on this side of the table."

Dorchester and Hammond stressed the value of managing the time and effort spent on a prospect and how teams need to allocate those resources to make sure they can address quality and quantity in recruiting. Producer Ben Haumiller said it led to an "overhaul" of the week-to-week recruiting function.

"We have now streamlined the recruiting experience so that your main function as the coach is to take a bulk of points each week and determine how you want to distribute them throughout the players you are targeting," he said. "After you've set the number of points you want to apply to a prospect you just manage their recruitment by adding or re-allocating points from week to week."

"Previously there really wasn't much strategy as to when you scheduled a prospect to come on a visit," Haumiller said. "You did get a boost for bringing a prospect to a rivalry game, but you could bring in anyone you wanted for that game without worrying about how many players at a particular position were coming in that week."

Hammond and Dorchester explained that the game needed to allow for the difference between a "competitive" visit and a "complementary" visit. Both can affect recruiting and EA Sports was convinced to make the change.

"So now you will want to space out when your quarterbacks visit, as bringing in two or more will cause a 'competitive' visit and will lower the number of points that can be awarded for the visit," Haumiller said. "'Complementary' visits occur when you bring in, say, a quarterback, a wide receiver and an offensive lineman in the same week. By helping to give them a feel for who their teammates might be at the positions that are crucial for their success, each of those prospects will receive a boost to the number of points they can earn in a visit."

Who visits wasn't the sole concern voiced by WVU's football staff members. They explained the value of timing and why it's important to play host to a prospect as late as possible. Early visits are often forgotten or masked by later visits to other schools. Late visits create a lasting impression.

EA Sports decided it was important to reward a school for being the last place a prospect visited.

"You will receive an additional bonus if you are the last of the prospect's five official visits," Haumiller said. "The fourth visit will have a smaller bonus, the third visit smaller, and so on. So you have to weigh the strategy of scheduling late in the year to get that bonus and risk having the prospect commit elsewhere before the visit happens or do the visit as early as possible if you don't think you will make it to the end of the season before the prospect makes his decision."

The article also discusses additional aspects that WVU staffers feel Dynasty Mode should address in the future.

Keep up on all the latest NCAA Football 14 news & media heading into the July 9 release date with our NCAA 14 News & Info Central page. We'll provide all the best & latest information regarding improvements to Gameplay & Infinity Engine 2, Dynasty Mode, Presentation, and new features such as NCAA Football Ultimate Team & Play a Season.

NCAA Football 14 News & Information Central: http://tgt.pw/ncaa14info
    Comments 15 Comments
      steelerfan -
      Good stuff. Thanks for sharing, Chris.

Hopefully, more of what they learned is implemented in the near future.

I'm using Tapatalk 2 and the Cleveland Browns STILL suck.
      baseballplyrmvp -
      that article didnt give me any hope for decommitments being added.
      Jayrah -
      Quote Originally Posted by baseballplyrmvp View Post
      that article didnt give me any hope for decommitments being added.
      From what I gathered you can leapfrog a team if they're at the top though by competitive recruiting in the offseason, so at least that's a step. I'm not sure if that means an already committed recruit or not. We'll have to wait till that blog comes out here in the next couple days I imagine.
      oweb26 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jayrah View Post
      From what I gathered you can leapfrog a team if they're at the top though by competitive recruiting in the offseason, so at least that's a step. I'm not sure if that means an already committed recruit or not. We'll have to wait till that blog comes out here in the next couple days I imagine.
      The way I read it, the whole "leapfrog" thing was for committed recruits as well.....only a certain number of schools would be able to talk to a recruit if they were within so many points of the leader and would effectively be able to "send the house" during the offseason.
      morsdraconis -
      Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
      Good stuff. Thanks for sharing, Chris.

Hopefully, more of what they learned is implemented in the near future.

I'm using Tapatalk 2 and the Cleveland Browns STILL suck.

Cool that they are finally getting input from people whose job it is to do what they are trying to replicate in the game.
      Jayrah -
      Quote Originally Posted by oweb26 View Post
      The way I read it, the whole "leapfrog" thing was for committed recruits as well.....only a certain number of schools would be able to talk to a recruit if they were within so many points of the leader and would effectively be able to "send the house" during the offseason.
      I thought possibly this was the case as well because they made it sound like a new thing and of course a recruit changing his top school in the off season isn't new... hoping this is the case, but then again there needs to be a way for the team that already has the commit to keep their man too. If its just a case of anyone can try and steal your commit and you have no say, that's not good
      gschwendt -
      No... once a player is committed, you won't lose them. The whole leap frog thing is only a last ditch attempt to jump above the leading team before signing day.
      MC1 -
      Good article! Now, when does the demo come out?
      beartide06 -
      Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
      No... once a player is committed, you won't lose them. The whole leap frog thing is only a last ditch attempt to jump above the leading team before signing day.
      Yeah, this is how I understood it. I believe from a previous mentioning about de-commits, some were expecting that to be in. It seems like that may be something of the future, among other things, based on the end of the article "The article also discusses additional aspects that WVU staffers feel Dynasty Mode should address in the future."
      beartide06 -
      Quote Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
      No mentioning of this yet. I'm sure they will update us as soon as they hear something
      Tryhard Nation -
      Quote Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
      I'd imagine 2-3 weeks before July 9th but EA may have another "big announcement" like they did last year at e3 and surprise is with it early. Last year they did it partly because NCAA had no infinity engine so they kinda wanted to make up for it I think and with this years game not being next gen I could see them doing it again this year.
      baseballplyrmvp -
      Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
      Did they keep the same pace that recruits would gain interest in schools? in 13, if you started out high on a recruits interest list and called him for an hour every week, you could get him to commit by week 8 or so. and with all of the new recruiting point bonuses, it would seem to accelerate the process even more.

ideally, i'd like to see only around 25% of the recruits commit during weeks 1-12. then around weeks 13, 14, 15, and in the offseason, you start seeing the bulk of commitments happening.
      jello1717 -
      Quote Originally Posted by baseballplyrmvp View Post
      Did they keep the same pace that recruits would gain interest in schools? in 13, if you started out high on a recruits interest list and called him for an hour every week, you could get him to commit by week 8 or so. and with all of the new recruiting point bonuses, it would seem to accelerate the process even more.

ideally, i'd like to see only around 25% of the recruits commit during weeks 1-12. then around weeks 13, 14, 15, and in the offseason, you start seeing the bulk of commitments happening.
      Clearly this is only a sample size of 1, but this coach signed 21 recruits, only 2 of which signed before week 10.

JBHuskers -
      I think I was averaging around 4 on my sims in March.
      ram29jackson -
      It wasn't necessarily how you recruit a kid," Dorchester said in March. "That's hard. I don't know how you can really replicate that in a video game. A lot of it was saying, 'Here are some things that we feel aren't necessarily realistic in the video game and here's how those things happen in real life.' Understanding it can't exactly be simulated in a video game, we just wanted to give them an idea of what it was like on this side of the table."
      the most important part. Its just a game. Most real recruiting involves convincing parents...and lets face it, under the table perks are necessary.

press for gym bag full of cash