• Gamezone: NCAA Football 14 Will Not Have the College Football Playoff

Fans of the EASPORTS NCAA Football series have long asked for some sort of a playoff system in the Dynasty mode, if nothing else than to spice up the postseason play that is run by a pseudo BCS system. Ultimately that decision most likely comes down to the NCAA rather than EASPORTS itself. With the recent announcement of the College Football Playoff, some were hoping that NCAA Football 14 would have a playoff system implemented. Today we find out that it will not.

GameZone.com received word from an EA Representative that said NCAA Football 14 will continue to use the BCS as post-season play.

"The BCS will continue as the post-season format for all years of Dynasty," an EA representative told me on behalf of NCAA Football 14 producer Ben Haumiller.

"We don’t yet have all the info about how the playoff system will work, including who will make up the selection committee and what their criteria will be for picking the playoff teams, and it’s our policy to not include anything in-game that hasn’t been approved and finalized by the NCAA," he explained.

With the real-life details still to be ironed out, it comes as little suprirse at this point seeing as how in order to implement something like this, EA would have to have had details in place months ago and even then, would have to have the BCS system for use as the first season while the playoffs took over after that.

The article considers that a playoff system could be patched in but don't expect it considering that it would essentially require double-duty for EA to implement that... implement it in NCAA 14 with what little details are known, then correct the changes that are needed for NCAA 15. Instead, they could just implement it once, correctly, in NCAA 15.

Keep up on all the latest NCAA Football 14 news & media heading into the July 9 release date with our NCAA 14 News & Info Central page. We'll provide all the best & latest information regarding improvements to Gameplay & Infinity Engine 2, Dynasty Mode, Presentation, and new features such as NCAA Football Ultimate Team & Play a Season.

NCAA Football 14 News & Information Central: http://tgt.pw/ncaa14info
    Comments 58 Comments
      JBHuskers -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jayrah View Post
      Untrue. The NCAA governs what is allowed in the game because they own the copyright in order for EA to use their teams and stadiums and all that goes into college football. So they pretty much govern EVERYTHING that goes into the game, when it comes to decisions representing their real life representation. They have to approve things like this. Options for more teams is one thing, but misrepresenting how the NCAA College Football Playoff will take place won't happen.
      Exactly.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
      SmoothPancakes -
      Which is exactly why something like discipline will never return to the game. With all the issues that have been making news regarding the NCAA and its teams, be it recruiting violations, TattooGate, boosters and illegal money, crimes, drugs, etc, the NCAA will never allow something to do with players committing discipline infractions back into the game, even if its just minute things like someone missing class.
      Jayrah -
      Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
      Which is exactly why something like discipline will never return to the game. With all the issues that have been making news regarding the NCAA and its teams, be it recruiting violations, TattooGate, boosters and illegal money, crimes, drugs, etc, the NCAA will never allow something to do with players committing discipline infractions back into the game, even if its just minute things like someone missing class.
      Another great point
      Noles94 -
      Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post

It almost makes me think the game would be better without the license. Just make it fully customizable, via Teambuilder or some other web source. From on-field logos to conference patches, uniforms, stadiums, player editing...everything. They could make the ultimate College Football game without the supposed interference of the NCAA. But then, the game probably would only sell to a small group of hardcores.
      gschwendt -
      Quote Originally Posted by Noles94 View Post
      It almost makes me think the game would be better without the license. Just make it fully customizable, via Teambuilder or some other web source. From on-field logos to conference patches, uniforms, stadiums, player editing...everything. They could make the ultimate College Football game without the supposed interference of the NCAA. But then, the game probably would only sell to a small group of hardcores.
      Even if they were to go that route, they wouldn't be able to allow NCAA teams, logos, etc. to be used on TeamBuilder. Just like I know in the past, they've removed NFL designed teams from TB, I would assume they'd have to do the same thing or face lawsuit. I'm sure there are still examples of NFL teams out there now, if they didn't have the license, they would be much more strict with it I'm sure.
      Jayrah -
      Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
      Even if they were to go that route, they wouldn't be able to allow NCAA teams, logos, etc. to be used on TeamBuilder. Just like I know in the past, they've removed NFL designed teams from TB, I would assume they'd have to do the same thing or face lawsuit. I'm sure there are still examples of NFL teams out there now, if they didn't have the license, they would be much more strict with it I'm sure.
      The game would be terrible without the license. Couldn't license the songs, couldn't have mascots or traditions or logos. Couldn't do anything with ESPN integration and you'd lose the announcing teams. You'd basically get college Blitz with no team identities
      GatorBait06NC -
      Typical EA Lameness.
      GatorBait06NC -
      "Lets get all the uniforms in the game and allow you to edit conferences to replicate real life, but not not give you the biggest change in college football since it's beginning" Why am I not surprised here? At least mascot mashup will still be in the game right?
      GatorBait06NC -
      This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. The licenses are the only reason this game is made. Without them, nobody would continue to buy this lame, stale, glitched filled product.
      SmoothPancakes -
      steelerfan -
      Quote Originally Posted by GatorBait06NC View Post
      "Lets get all the uniforms in the game and allow you to edit conferences to replicate real life, but not not give you the biggest change in college football since it's beginning" Why am I not surprised here? At least they got Florida's shoe color right so I can quit my endless bellyache about that stupidity, right?
      Fixed.

Enviado de meu SAMSUNG SGH I997 usando o Tapatalk 2
      psusnoop -
      UNREAL,
      Jayrah -
      "Lets get all the uniforms in the game and allow you to edit conferences to replicate real life, but not not give you the biggest change in college football since it's beginning" Why am I not surprised here? At least mascot mashup will still be in the game right?
      Are you still talking about the playoff system that won't be in college football till 2014? Why should they put that in the 2013 version of the game? It will be in the game before we see it IRL, how is that not ok?
      dhook27 -
      This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. The licenses are the only reason this game is made. Without them, nobody would continue to buy this lame, stale, glitched filled product.
      typical mindless EA basher
      Jayrah -
      Quote Originally Posted by dhook27 View Post
      typical mindless EA basher
      I'm still not sure if that is a vote or a slight towards EA
      Noles94 -
      It was just a thought. Frustrated over the NCAA dictating what can't be added. Relax.
      Daywalker86 -
      Is there even a small chance that once the actual system is final, EA can patch it in?
      JBHuskers -
      Quote Originally Posted by Daywalker86 View Post
      Is there even a small chance that once the actual system is final, EA can patch it in?
      Won't happen. 110% sure.

Not til NCAA 15.
      souljahbill -
      I mostly understand the argument for the playoffs in real life but I don't really see why we need it NOW it the game. The game isn't so lifelike that we need 100% authenticity so NEEDING to get it in Year 2 or the whole game is crap, to me, feels like a drastic overreaction.
      JBHuskers -
      Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
      I mostly understand the argument for the playoffs in real life but I don't really see why we need it NOW it the game. The game isn't so lifelike that we need 100% authenticity so NEEDING to get it in Year 2 or the whole game is crap, to me, feels like a drastic overreaction.