• EA SPORTS: NCAA Football 14 Playbook 2 - Presentation

EA SPORTS has posted the second NCAA Football Playbook and it focuses on improvements & changes to presentation.

Among the improvements coming to presentation: A halftime show featuring Rece Davis & David Pollack, neutral site games, school specific base-layers & gloves, and more.

This blog is a quick look at some of the presentation changes coming to the game with additional deep-dives to come. Continue on to read the Presentation Playbook.

The ultimate goal of any video game is to immerse you in the action. That’s why we’ve been heavily focused in making improvements both on and off the field for NCAA Football 14. We’re excited to start revealing some of the biggest upgrades to presentation.

Blur Tempo

In NCAA Football 14, you’ll feel the emotion of college football right from the streamlined and responsive menu interface. Now you can see all the game modes and available options – such as Play Now, Dynasty and Ultimate Team – at a glance and jump straight into the action.

One major complaint from fans over the last few years is that the pre-game simply took too long. When you’re in Play Now, you want to play. Pregame festivities have been redone from 2-3 minutes sequences to emphatic 30-second intros that still retain all of the college traditions that play such a big part of different school's identities.

The intros in Dynasty Mode are also deeper and more immersive than ever before. Rece Davis will set the stage with robust game storylines that are accompanied by a variety of on-screen banners, faithfully recreating the type of montages seen on ESPN before big games on Saturday. On-screen banners incorporate dynamic phrases, and there are multiple variations based on the type of game you are playing, like a rivalry or bowl game.

Leave It on the Field

New triggering logic in NCAA Football 14 will capture the emotion on the field like never before. Replacing the legacy vignettes are more than 500 new sequences that run between plays. These vignettes are designed to keep you in the action – just like watching college football on TV. You’ll also notice dynamic player wipes and all new-team wipes.

Another detail that makes a big impact is the inclusion of pre-play player chatter. Now, in addition to hearing the QB bark out audibles, you can listen in as defenders call out their adjustments. You might catch the center calling out the number of down linemen or the QB calling out the Mike Linebacker. Linemen can make calls to alert potential blitzers, and the defense will counter by calling out strength of formation. You may even hear the location of the tight end or which players the defense will be keying on. You’ll also hear players celebrating between whistles as they make game-changing plays like TDs and INTs.

Authenticity is important to NCAA Football 14 and the game will feature the latest new uniforms, team-specific gloves and base layers. In close collaboration with the apparel manufacturers, you can expect regular uniform updates post-launch as well. Rest assured that your team will not only be playing in accurate gear, but they’ll also be using the correct football based on their school’s equipment and apparel manufacturers. That’s right, Under Armour schools will play with an Under Armour ball.

This year, South Alabama makes its long-awaited debut in NCAA Football along with Old Dominion and Georgia State. The Jaguars stadium has been accurately recreated, as has Texas State’s. That’s right, Jim Wacker Field at Bobcat Stadium will be in the game. Both big and small schools received attention, with TCU’s stadium updated to reflect their recent renovations. Horned Frogs fans should feel right at home.

Neutral site games make their long-awaited debut this year, including the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Classic (Georgia Dome), Cowboy Kickoff Classic (Cowboys Stadium) and the Texas Kickoff Classic (Reliant Stadium). NCAA Football 14 also features three stadiums brought over from Madden NFL: Soldier Field, MetLife Stadium and M&T Bank Stadium. You can even create your own neutral site game. Let your imagination run wild.

The Story of the Game

In addition to the on-field improvements, NCAA Football 14 features a more realistic and enjoyable broadcast experience. This year, Brad Nessler and Kirk Herbstreit will focus on the ever changing in game stories that make college football so great. They'll highlight key players and their performances throughout the season, along with the storylines that play out dynamically on the field.

The development team meticulously studied box scores throughout the 2011 and 2012 season, dissecting statistics and finding patterns. What was discovered was that many games follow similar storylines and these were the first building blocks of our Drive Stories feature. In NCAA 14, Brad and Kirk will recognize patterns as the game progresses and comment on them as a banner is shown on screen. These moments precede key drives, and mimic real broadcasts where the commentary team would take a step away from the action and sum up how the game is playing out.

Anyone who has watched college football knows that when a National or Conference leader is playing in a game, the broadcast will place the spotlight on them. In NCAA Football 14, if a user-controlled team or the opposition has one of these Key Players, Brad and Kirk will introduce the player and talk about his importance, and then track his performance throughout. How is he playing in relation to his team? Does he rebound from a slow start? Does a Key QB’s run game steal the show? Is the player falling apart as his team struggles? These are just some of the many storylines available this year.

There are also special storylines in store for the most dedicated Dynasty gamers. Some won’t become available until at least your 2nd year as a coach, while others take much more time to unlock.

The ESPN Living Game Clock, which provides quick-hitting stats on previous plays, player stats, game stats, play selection and more, is just one more piece that heightens immersion and makes the game feel truer to an actual ESPN broadcast.

We can announce that NCAA Football 14 will feature a halftime show with Rece Davis and David Pollack. The duo will recap your game, call out highlights and set up the second half with a combination of thoughtful insight and witty banter.

David Pollack’s experience on the defensive side of the ball, along with his natural chemistry with Rece Davis on air, results in a compelling halftime show. The insightful banter back and forth creates naturally flowing, authentic commentary.

And last but not least, we’re excited to announce that “Zombie Nation” and “Seven Nation Army” are in NCAA 14, two of the most widely-used stadium anthems in the country. And yes, you’ll hear the crowd chanting, just like they do in real life. More info is on the way, so make sure you read the site regularly.

There’s a ton of other features that will be announced shortly, each making NCAA Football 14 look, and feel, like nothing you’ve ever played before. Check back in the coming days and weeks for even more details on all the improvements to presentation.

Fans can keep up to date by visiting the NCAA Football website, Facebook, and Twitter for exclusive assets and unique insights into all of this year’s new features. College football enthusiasts can also get involved in the conversation by tweeting with the hashtag #PLAYTRUE.

Keep up on all the latest NCAA Football 14 news & media heading into the July 9 release date with our NCAA 14 News & Info Central page. We'll provide all the best & latest information regarding improvements to Gameplay & Infinity Engine 2, Dynasty Mode, Presentation, and new features such as NCAA Football Ultimate Team & Play a Season.

NCAA Football 14 News & Information Central: http://tgt.pw/ncaa14info
    Comments 121 Comments
      Kwizzy -
      Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
      Of course it will. That's why I've never cared about adding College Gameday or having halftime or weekly shows. It'll be fresh at first but it'll be repetitive eventually since there are only so many lines that can be recorded.

Edit: Now that I've read through all the posts since yours, looks like this has been established already.
      This is why I have never been a fan of things like this. I would rather the presentation elements be focused on providing more context both within each game, and within your season/dynasty. A few years back we're hyping these awesome custom pre-game entrances and now we're touting the fact that we're shortening them up. It's counter productive.
      Oneback -
      Quote Originally Posted by psusnoop View Post
      Only a guess that is just chatter to increase presentation but to look at it from a different angle it also now maybe provides a look that EA will give us the ability to make this switch/move pre-snap next year as this will be something that more casual fans will take notice to and help strengthen the need that this been in the game. Just my 2 cents.
      Hey I hope you're right, however due to track record (coaching carosel, etc) just because a base/sub item is implemented does not automatically mean logical improvements are on the way.
      psusnoop -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kwizzy View Post
      This is why I have never been a fan of things like this. I would rather the presentation elements be focused on providing more context both within each game, and within your season/dynasty. A few years back we're hyping these awesome custom pre-game entrances and now we're touting the fact that we're shortening them up. It's counter productive.
      Kind of a waste of resources from start to finish. It's always easy for anyone like myself to say what I just did but when you look back and think of what else could have been given some of those resources it makes you think.
      psusnoop -
      Quote Originally Posted by Oneback View Post
      Hey I hope you're right, however due to track record (coaching carosel, etc) just because a base/sub item is implemented does not automatically mean logical improvements are on the way.
      I see what you saying I guess part of me is REALLY REALLY hoping that the defense gets some attention. While I understand the college football game is still pretty for offensives to showcase their talents Defense still has a HUGE part of the outcome and I think EA is missing this. How many Championships does Bama own the last 4 years? How many of Bama's starting QB's are playing in the NFL? Well there you go I rest my case sorry, I had to do it
      Tako 715 -
      Will you be able to play home vs home uniforms like in the Kickoff Classic? NCST and Tennessee did last year. Or like USC/UCLA every year? Small detail but would be kind of cool.
      Oneback -
      I see what you saying I guess part of me is REALLY REALLY hoping that the defense gets some attention. While I understand the college football game is still pretty for offensives to showcase their talents Defense still has a HUGE part of the outcome and I think EA is missing this. How many Championships does Bama own the last 4 years? How many of Bama's starting QB's are playing in the NFL? Well there you go I rest my case sorry, I had to do it
      To be fair the winning QB's in Bama's three MNC's since 2009 were Greg McElroy (contending to be the starter next seson for NYJ) and AJ McCarron who will be a Senior at Bama next season.

I completely understand your point however - EA had made the game very offensive, I'm sure in an attempt to up the fun factor for the casual fan, while ignoring the defensive side of the ball for many years. Yes, they added "pattern reading defenses" two years ago but lets not kid ourselves, that's not a true pattern reading defense, its still barely a spot dropping defense (read my post at http://www.gridironvictory.com/defen...zone-defenses/ for more information). Defense has been largely unchanged since NCAA 2003, think about how many games you've played since then and how many times you've faced these extremely basic defenses, and now they are making the spread offense more complex, unfortunately the defenses as they are currently constructed can barely contain the current version of spread offenses in the game.
      cdj -
      We have been given the green light to discuss Alternate Camera Angles.

There are four camera angles to select: Regular, Zoom (closer behind ball-carrier), Wide, Broadcast (overhead/blimp but will dynamically zoom in on action based on result).
      psusnoop -
      Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
      We have been given the green light to discuss Alternate Camera Angles.

There are four camera angles to select: Regular, Zoom (closer behind ball-carrier), Wide, Broadcast (overhead/blimp but will dynamically zoom in on action based on result).
      While cool for some this was never a major factor for me to be honest. Nice touch though.
      psusnoop -
      Quote Originally Posted by Oneback View Post
      To be fair the winning QB's in Bama's three MNC's since 2009 were Greg McElroy (contending to be the starter next seson for NYJ) and AJ McCarron who will be a Senior at Bama next season.

I completely understand your point however - EA had made the game very offensive, I'm sure in an attempt to up the fun factor for the casual fan, while ignoring the defensive side of the ball for many years. Yes, they added "pattern reading defenses" two years ago but lets not kid ourselves, that's not a true pattern reading defense, its still barely a spot dropping defense (read my post at http://www.gridironvictory.com/defen...zone-defenses/ for more information). Defense has been largely unchanged since NCAA 2003, think about how many games you've played since then and how many times you've faced these extremely basic defenses, and now they are making the spread offense more complex, unfortunately the defenses as they are currently constructed can barely contain the current version of spread offenses in the game.
      I just don't see how EA could get the defense to a point where we'd like it without completely scrapping what they have and I don't see that happening anytime soon to be honest.
      Deuce -
      I'm not a presentation guy but everything sounds great. It sounds like the 'details' crowd will be happy with the gloves, socks correction, team specific footballs, etc...

Out of all this the one thing I am most excited about is the neutral games. Really glad they made them generic. Very cool!
      Oneback -
      I just don't see how EA could get the defense to a point where we'd like it without completely scrapping what they have and I don't see that happening anytime soon to be honest.
      Completely agree. I don't know that they'll ever truely change the way defense plays as their core demographic is the casual fan - they aren't making the game for people like me who want a true to life simulation, I get that, but it'd surely be nice if they got a close approximation. It's frustrating for people like myself who call the correct defense only to get beat because my safety never reacts appropriately to the corner route for example.

In a lot of way NCAA 13 in game doesn't really feel that much different than NCAA 03 when I started playing the series consistantly, it looks better and there have been a small handful of things added but in the end its the same game I've played for the last 10 years and quite honestly is starting be become stale to which no amount of presentation, etc will sway my opinion because the core gameplay is the same, which is why we play the game.

The new additions to the spread offense I'm sure will be fun to play around with but in the end its a chess match that I crave from this game, unfortunately this is also the area where the game is lacking the most.
      AustinWolv -
      Wide
      Curious to see if that means sideline to sideline is visible.
      d2721 -
      Anyone in the know.. Did they add Notre Dame's base layer and fixed their uniforms? Thanks
      MC1 -
      Sounds like the halftime show has no "video highlights"....just audio. Hope I'm wrong, but we'll see.
      cdj -
      Quote Originally Posted by d2721 View Post
      Anyone in the know.. Did they add Notre Dame's base layer and fixed their uniforms? Thanks
      Unsure on the base layer. What issue with the uniforms are you referring to?
      cdj -
      Quote Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
      Sounds like the halftime show has no "video highlights"....just audio. Hope I'm wrong, but we'll see.
      I do not know what kind of highlights (if any will appear), but Steve (from OS) had this in his hands-on time with the game from this week's Season Opener Event:

In the game I played, neither team got to the quarterback and recorded a sack. So during the halftime show, Reese mentioned that the pass rush has been totally negated. Reece then asks David what the defensive coordinator is telling his players at halftime to make adjustments in the 2nd half to get after the QB. David then talks about not only being able to sack the QB, but also getting pressure, rattle him a little bit, he made a joke about how defensive players were a little fat and the offense gets off the ball quicker.

It seems like the half time crew will lead off with Reese stating an obvious statistical observation and Pollack providing an answer as to how the teams will adjust. Hard to say, it could be more, and it could be even more when the Bowl games are played, but it was good to see highlights from the game, as they were talking and these were key plays in the game, not just an average play from a camera angle that didn't even make sense or was focused on the wrong player, etc.
      OSUCowboyofMD -
      College Gameday would've been so awesome but I'm pretty sure we won't be seeing that until the next-gen hopefully. I like all the presentation elements! But they missed one thing and that would be the new facemasks and cleats. It be nice if they could bring back the fight song menu music and the "Did You Know" loading screens. Those were pretty cool. And actual fight songs too! Like actual recordings of the respective universities bands'
      TheShockDoctor -
      This sounds good on paper but I would like to see a video to see how it works/sounds. I would imagine that a video showcasing these new features will come out eventually right? I'm pretty sure they showed a video of the studio updates last year (I may be wrong though).
      gschwendt -
      Yeah... I would certainly expect to see video in the coming weeks. If nothing else, certainly at E3 we'll see videos coming out of it whether from EA officially or from just people attending E3.
      NatureBoy -
      I was really hoping to get a fresh, new announce crew besides Kirk Herbstreit and Brad Nessler. I thought Nessler moved to the NFL Network to do the Thursday Night NFL games.