• ESPN Video Games: 'NCAA Football 14' ramps up presentation

ESPN Video Games' Jon Robinson covers some of the presentation changes coming to NCAA Football 14.

Among the highlights of his preview:
    • 'Zombie Nation' & 'Seven Nation Army' crowd chants will be in the game
    • Main focus of presentation: Make it clean and 'get you moving'
    • Dynamic loading screens
    • Quicker pre-game intro with music video
    • Commentary focus on drive summaries
    • New stadiums for ODU, GA State, South Alabama plus 'every neutral site game'
    • Team specific gloves plus hand poses

Continue on to read an excerpt of the preview from ESPN Video Games and then share your thoughts with the community.

Enhanced crowd audio isn’t the only thing new about the “NCAA 14” presentation, as the design team made some monumental changes across the board to deliver a smoother-playing, slicker-looking game.

“The main purpose of our presentation this year is to make it quick, make it clean, and get you moving,” Haumiller said as he shows me the game.

The ESPN menus and backgrounds in the front end looked great last year, but they were such a resource hog, it made the game lag.

“We stripped that out for more of a whiteboard style font, and it really speeds everything up,” Haumiller said. “ESPN is still in the game in terms of in-game presentation, but in the front end, we wanted to go with a quicker, cleaner look and have something that’s more 2-D based.”

To go along with the new menus, dynamic load screens give more information about the game that you’re about to play. You’ll see the top players for each team, a list of injured players, and scores from around the country.

And while pregame run-outs and traditions have been a big focus for the “NCAA Football” franchise for years, “NCAA 14” takes a completely different approach, borrowing heavily from the pre-game intros of the “NBA 2K” series.

“The problem we ran into with the tradition videos is, they were getting stale, especially for schools like Clemson, where we’ve shown you the same thing for years,” Haumiller said. “Other schools like Texas, it took you two minutes to get through the intro, and all that does is condition you to button-through everything we’ve added. The goal this year is to make things a lot faster. We’re still hitting those moments and we’re still showing you what makes each school unique, but this year, you’re getting the passion without having to sit through such a long experience.

“So now the game starts out in the studio with Rece Davis, then when he kicks things down to the field, the game shows a quick music video showing highlights, fans, players, tradition, and run-outs all based on each school. Before you know it, you’re at the coin toss and you’re ready to start your game.”

Click here to read the full preview from ESPN Video Games.

Keep up on all the latest NCAA Football 14 news & media heading into the July 9 release date with our NCAA 14 News & Info Central page. We'll provide all the best & latest information regarding improvements to Gameplay & Infinity Engine 2, Dynasty Mode, Presentation, and new features such as NCAA Football Ultimate Team & Play a Season.

NCAA Football 14 News & Information Central: http://tgt.pw/ncaa14info
    Comments 21 Comments
      ryby6969 -
      Over on OS a guy took a picture of a game informer magazine article in which it states that there is a halftime show in NCAA 14.

Here is a link to the thread:
      http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-magazine.html
      ryby6969 -
      One question I have about presentation and more importantly commentary is after you set a team record, do the commentators mention it every time that player touches the ball? Like if you set the career rushing TD record with a HB, do they mention how you just set the record every time you score from then on out?
      SmoothPancakes -
      Yes! That means Old Dominion and Georgia State are getting in the game this year. With that and the WAC being dead, it will make it much easier to have fully realistic conferences in my Coaching Carousel dynasty. After that, will only be the wait for Charlotte to get added, probably not until NCAA 16.
      SmoothPancakes -
      During the game, ESPN integration includes a living game clock, and after every play, a new stat will pop up, whether it’s play selection or turnovers or first downs.
      Every neutral site game has also been added to “14,” including MetLife Stadium, Cowboy Stadium, and Soldier Field (taken from “Madden”).

If EA did all this correctly, presentation could be a home run. New stat pop-ups, supposedly after every play now, the enhanced commentary, more focus on drive summaries, and every neutral site game, sweet baby Jesus.
      SmoothPancakes -
      Between this and the Polygon article, definitely got me ramped up for the EA stuff today. What time do they hit the stage for the Presentation stuff? I'm assuming it'll be like last year with the webcasts.
      AustinWolv -
      Seven Nation Army
      Noooooooooo! Hate, hate, hate hearing that at game. Lame!

To go along with the new menus, dynamic load screens give more information about the game that you’re about to play. You’ll see the top players for each team, a list of injured players, and scores from around the country.............................“So now the game starts out in the studio with Rece Davis, then when he kicks things down to the field, the game shows a quick music video showing highlights, fans, players, tradition, and run-outs all based on each school. Before you know it, you’re at the coin toss and you’re ready to start your game.”
      Cool, I like the sounds of both of those, as I want to get right into playing the game.
      JBHuskers -
      The dynamic load screens are very nice. Tiger added them this year too. It adds a lot.
      CLW -
      I HATE the stupid Zombie Nation AND Seven Nation Army songs/chants. They are old/stale at this point and have long "jumped the shark" since nearly EVERYONE is doing it.
      JBHuskers -
      Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
      I HATE the stupid Zombie Nation AND Seven Nation Army songs/chants. They are old/stale at this point and have long "jumped the shark" since nearly EVERYONE is doing it.
      We'll get the Harlem Shake in there for you next year
      CLW -
      Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
      We'll get the Harlem Shake in there for you next year
      Excellent.
      psusnoop -
      I'm a huge fan of the menu's, I'm like others here I don't need a pretty menu I just want to be able to get to where I want to go.

I've grown tired of NHL simply because I can't get through the menus to even see the damn standings because of the HUGE lag times.

As for the Seven Nation and Zombie Nation, it's cool with me. You hear it all the time at the games so it will hopefully give that kind of feel when it pops up in the game. I'm also a big big fan of the streamlined intros too. This was way to long and was to much. This slick shortened and to the point approach is something I like.

I also really hope that the halftime shows are something of value and not something is completely limited. If it's limited it's going to feel crappy and old after 5 times of listening then I'd rather not have it in there.

I can't stress how cool the Neutral Site game is, I really hope it can be used like it should be.

Thus far while nothing extreme NCAA continues to impress thus me thus far.
      psusnoop -
      Quote Originally Posted by ryby6969 View Post
      One question I have about presentation and more importantly commentary is after you set a team record, do the commentators mention it every time that player touches the ball? Like if you set the career rushing TD record with a HB, do they mention how you just set the record every time you score from then on out?
      This is a good question, I do grow tired of hearing this all the darn time. I know he broke the record, 11 weeks ago he did this
      souljahbill -
      Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
      I don't know these songs by name. Guess it's YouTube time.
      SmoothPancakes -
      Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
      I don't know these songs by name. Guess it's YouTube time.
      Don't do it! You'll thank us!
      PeteyKirch -
      So...no new custom entrances?
      gschwendt -
      Quote Originally Posted by PeteyKirch View Post
      So...no new custom entrances?
      Pretty sure South Alabama got their custom entrance as part of their apology from EA for leaving them out of NCAA13... other than that, I'm not aware whether any were added or not.
      JBHuskers -
      Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
      Pretty sure South Alabama got their custom entrance as part of their apology from EA for leaving them out of NCAA13... other than that, I'm not aware whether any were added or not.
      As of March, no.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
      AustinWolv -
      Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
      Don't do it! You'll thank us!
      No kidding, Seven Nation Army suuuuuuuuucks. So does the band.

I applaud EA's efforts however, as having the crowd active and invested in the field action definitely makes playing the game more fun.
      gschwendt -
      Quote Originally Posted by AustinWolv View Post
      JBHuskers -
      Quote Originally Posted by AustinWolv View Post