• EA SPORTS: NCAA Football 14 - First Look at the New Gameplay Engine

EA SPORTS has posted the official first look at the "new gameplay engine in NCAA Football 14 which unlocks the unpredictability and innovation of college football, bringing multiple college play-styles to life.

"Featuring real-time physics and enhanced running game that allows users to feel the big plays on offense and defense, with big hits, stiff-arms, include realistic hard cuts when a runner is changing direction, improved run blocking and a new acceleration burst that lets you get around the corner or through the hole and into the open field."

Continue on to view the gameplay teaser video.

Comments 48 Comments
      SmoothPancakes -
      Looks to me like running around like a chicken with its head cut off, stopping on a dime and changing directions with ease is still in the game.

Edit - And my fears of an unstoppable run game may be true. Just in that video alone, defenders are getting pushed, shoved and thrown around like rag dolls.
      OSUCowboyofMD -
      Ehhhh okay to say the least. I noticed Navy still had it's old jerseys and what's good with these like 3 year old cleats?! I barely see anyone wear them anymore!
      GatorfanStovy -
      Yea the running game is gonna a bigger pain to stop it this year ugh. I have a hard enough time this year. Let's hope defense tackling will be improve as well .

Also the graphics do look much better and clear but the uniforms still just meh .
      CLW -
      Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
      Looks to me like running around like a chicken with its head cut off, stopping on a dime and changing directions with ease is still in the game.

Edit - And my fears of an unstoppable run game may be true. Just in that video alone, defenders are getting pushed, shoved and thrown around like rag dolls.
      Yep. I also don't get how "cuts" are different from the old "jukes" or how "acceleration burst" is different from "turbo" (other than the meter that apparently evaporates).

Going to be wide open gameplay again this year with the hit stick Clowney tackles being your only weapon on D.
      AustinWolv -
      a new acceleration burst
      User-controlled or CPU-controlled based where you are on the field?

Physics
      Nevermind, just saw the IGN interview.
      SmoothPancakes -
      Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
      Yep. I also don't get how "cuts" are different from the old "jukes" or how "acceleration burst" is different from "turbo" (other than the meter that apparently evaporates).

Going to be wide open gameplay again this year with the hit stick Clowney tackles being your only weapon on D.
      Yeah... I'll get NCAA '14, but depending on the demo and the couple days with Season Ticket, I may just keep my coaching career dynasty on NCAA '13 and continue on there, instead of "upgrading" it to NCAA '14. While '13 has its own issues, I've been managing just fine with my dynasty in '13 and could go another year on it without a problem.
      TheShockDoctor -
      I understand the criticisms that it seems that running game may be overpowered and it honestly might be, but I feel like they are just showing off the way stiff arms are handled this year and how running backs can run over smaller defenders.

I'm much more of wait and see kind of guy because this might be on an easy difficulty setting. I'm not as optimistic about this as much as I thought I would be though.
      JBHuskers -
      I'm not 100% sure, but I always thought all media is on Varsity, unless they note otherwise.
      souljahbill -
      Yeah, I'm not going to overreact and say every RB is Jim Brown. If they're talking about how RBs will be better, I'd be silly to show RBs getting tackled easily. You have to show I over and over to get the point across. What I didn't like though is the way people looked when getting trucked. They all feel back like they just died or something.
      JBHuskers -
      Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
      Yeah, I'm not going to overreact and say every RB is Jim Brown. If they're talking about how RBs will be better, I'd be silly to show RBs getting tackled easily. You have to show I over and over to get the point across. What I didn't like though is the way people looked when getting trucked. They all feel back like they just died or something.
      My guess. For a hype video like this, they're showing the extremes, it's not indicative of happening every single time.
      coogrfan -
      As always, I view these first glimpse videos with only one question in mind: does this make me want to play the game? My answer would be an emphatic "yes".
      souljahbill -
      Sometimes I really hate posting via phone. The amount of typos in my last post is staggering.
      GatorfanStovy -
      Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
      Sometimes I really hate posting via phone. The amount of typos in my last post is staggering.
      Then don't type from your phone kidding lol.

Yea I'm sure the game play will be just fine once the game actually hits mid summer. Sadly I won't be around to enjoy it until Nov at the earliest poo
      Rudy -
      I love the fact stiff arm and trucking are back! This first blog and info set sounds good to me with the option stuff but I need to see the cpu do it right to believe it. I hope the foot planting and momentum stuff turns out good. I've been wanting that for awhile. I was excited reading the first set of news and watching that video.
      WolverineJay -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
      I love the fact stiff arm and trucking are back! This first blog and info set sounds good to me with the option stuff but I need to see the cpu do it right to believe it. I hope the foot planting and momentum stuff turns out good.
      Agreed. I might finally be able to truck that little cb who is dumb enough to try and tackle me high or barrel forward for a key first down. The run game improvements sound nice on paper.
      Daywalker86 -
      I like the thought of waiting, finding your lane and bursting through it. I've always thought that was missing. You never really HIT the hole. Either it was big enough to skate through, or a guy slid off a block and tackles you in it.

If this is done right it will be a welcome addition. However, I want LB's to be able to HIT the hole too.
      ram29jackson -
      will it even be necasary ? just like years past i may well bypass the juke stick. Its more beneficial to just move the left stick in the direction you want to go and get yards. no dancing around wasting time with animations.

now, this may do what happens in madden where defenders always come near you but never finish because the game logic dictates a big play needs to happen and that effect happens thats like when you push the negative side of 2 magnets together and they push away instead of sticking.

They are trying to make it possible to run like a Barry Sanders...the negative effect will be the guys online who run backwards back and forth across the field proving they can do it till a hole swings open because defenders still follow the runner instead of actually persuing to tackle.

I so want to be wrong
      ryby6969 -
      Will linemen have this Force Impact thing also? I would like to see pulling linemen do that to a DB coming around a corner.
      xMrHitStickx904 -
      Yeah, I can't really overrate RB's on NCAA 14 during this video, they always market the extremes because the more jukes, hit sticks, & long runs they show, the more excited people get about making those big plays on their own.
      Jayrah -
      All the talk about RB's need to be improved and cuts aren't real enough and there's no momentum and all that last year. All of that looks like it's at least been addressed in some fashion in the very first news of the year and some people are saying omg just more overpowered offense. HAHAHAHAHAHA. Classic.

Far as I'm concerned, this is a MAJOR addition or revision to the game. The line play will need to have been improved to make this work correctly, but for just this aspect of the game forgetting about the defense, this is MUCH needed. It finally looks like weight/balance make a difference when cutting back, the RB or runner must plant and slow down slightly before accelerating instead of zig zagging wherever without penalty.

Defense will get it's updates too, let's wait till the info on that comes out before crucifying the EA team for doing something really well on offense.