• NCAA Football 13 - Second Game Update

The second NCAA Football 13 Game Update is now available on both XBL & PSN. While an early blog from NCAA Football Lead Producer Jason French detailed some of the improvements planned at that time, more game update details have been announced.

Continue on to read the full blog from French with added game update aspects italicized. After you download the update, share your thoughts here with the community.

Title Update Information

Hello NCAA Football fans, I'm Jason French, lead producer for NCAA Football 13. I'm here to give you some information on the post-release updates that we are currently working on.

Once the game was released, we started watching the forums and talking to our EA SPORTS Game Changers community to see what areas needed to be addressed. It came to our attention that there were two big issues that we were facing with the game and I commissioned a quick title update in order to get those two issues fixed as soon as possible. The first issue was a loss of functionality on the Playcall screen, which created a situation where you couldn't change the formation without pausing the game. The second issue was a random crash in our Dynasty mode while loading into a Dynasty game. Once we became aware of these issues, we got fixes in and submitted a title update to Microsoft and Sony. The first title update in order to fix these two issues will be released on July 31st.

Our second update, which will be released by Sony and Microsoft on August 15th, will address the following issues that we have seen from our telemetry and heard about from our community:

Gameplay

• Zone Defense has been updated.
      1. We improved receiver leverage logic as well as predicting when a receiver will be in or out of their zone.
      2. Improved Deep Half Zone decision making about when to split between uncovered receivers. Also, allow more zone overlapping in deep half to cover more area.
      3. Deep half defenders were dropping too close to the sideline or dropping outside when no receiver was outside of their position.
    • No-Huddle QB Spy bug fixed. Defenders will no longer go into spy assignments while in man coverage.
    • Receivers weren’t looking for hot-read passes.
    • CPU QBs passing during the drop would get set passes instead of on-the-run inaccurate passes.
    • Change the logic of man defenders so they don't run into the backfield and past the receiver they are covering.
    • Route running near sideline was causing issues especially on comeback routes.
    • Fixed players not respecting global show blitz/press/back off coverage after handing off a receiver.
    • Fixed sideline streak routes so they don't get clamped in a way that the route would end after 10 or 15 yards.
    • Drive summaries should now reset after each scoring drive.

• Fixed HB stretch play issue where TE’s would be frozen in place during certain blocking animations.
    • Fixed an issue where if a defender made an interception in the end zone and fumbled the ball before his feet touched the ground, it was being counted as a fumble and not an incomplete pass.
    • Resolved an alignment issue where DB on HB would pick up FB instead of HB when HB was put in motion
    • Removed exploit that allowed users to create slant routes to the sideline by motioning a WR and flipping the play.
    • QB Rushing up the middle from under center effectiveness has been balanced.
    • FG holders are no longer downed by contact.
    • Increased frequency of AI using ball carrier special moves.
    • AI play call tuning: No 4th and long run calls; less draws and screens.
    • Ball Hawk feature implemented for user pass defense.
    • Fixed frozen players after celebration dives.
    • Fixed wildcat Play Action exploit.
    • Fixed Defenders not reacting to the QB on read option and option plays when the users defensive adjustment vs. option is set to Aggressive.
    • Fixed shake blitz exploit.
    • Fixed exploit that allowed kicking team to recover squib kicks using low rated kickers.
    • Fixed defensive hot routes after offensive play flip.
    • Fixed issue where waiting for the defense to make their adjustments before picking a play when running ho huddle/hurry up offense caused the defense to reset their play back to the original play.
    • Fixed ‘Jump the Snap’ blitz exploit.
    • Resolved issue where defenders would not react or would be stuck in read and react behavior vs. the option.

Dynasty

• Once a promise becomes active, it was duplicating after each week advance.
    • Recruit Reports & Advisory options remained even after the "Allow Time Savers" setting was turned off.
    • Schools with a D+ Program Tradition could not get their grade increased through wins and championships.
    • In the off-season, post season games were not shown to have been played.
    • Fixed an issue where walk-on players were not appearing on the Online Dynasty Web Site.
    • You will now get your points back if a recruit instantly commits during a phone call.
    • Fixed an issue where swayed pitches and grades weren’t being displayed correctly.

Custom Playbooks

• Fixed an issue where if CPU coaches were given a custom playbook, the players were occasionally lining up close to the ball.
    • Fixed an issue where the user was unable to create an offensive playbook that consisted of 1 of every formation.
    • Fixed an issue where the user was sometimes losing functionality after the UI disappears in Custom Playbooks.
    • Increased the stability of the product by fixing various crashes.

In addition, we will be adding a "Uniform Store" to the game. In the past, we have had a cut off of mid-April for uniform submissions from schools in order to get them onto our disc in time. Sometimes those came in after the deadline and we would have to wait until the following year in order to get those default uniforms in. The "Uniform Store" will allow us to give you updated uniforms during the season. If it's an update to a team's default uniform, you will get those uniforms at no additional charge, via download in the store if and when available.

After these title updates are released, we will continue to monitor forums and look at our internal telemetry to see if there are additional updates we should release. The NCAA Football Development Team is committed to releasing a fun and stable product for all of its fans.
    Comments 112 Comments
      cdj -
      Quote Originally Posted by PeteyKirch View Post
      With regards to Group 1, the press release EA released in July said uniforms would be available next month.

I just think it's poor business to open up a store with no products. At least have the base uniforms that were wrong, UW, Mizz, RU, Arky already in there.
      Part of the problem may be that the patch came out early. The first blog mentioned 'by the end of August,' but it appears it may have been a week (or more) early. I'm also surprised they didn't have something in the Uniform Store on day one (even though the blog said there wouldn't be anything), but maybe the game update came out earlier than expected and caught them off-guard.
      WolverineJay -
      I'm still seeing the clueless db's on shotgun read option. I used Michigan vs Michigan State in an exhibition game and pretty consistently a DB would either just sit there or back pedal away from me. I think it happens vs Cover 3 because vs. Man they reacted fine. In fact I had a one on one vs the FS and juked him out of his shoes (actually was shocked that it worked seemed like Denard was much quicker post patch in and out of his juke running diagonally to the left sideline and juking toward the sideline). Maybe it was my imagination but maybe having 99 Agility helps the juke move.
      JBHuskers -
      Quote Originally Posted by psusnoop View Post
      Not that I visit or post over there but lurk is a better word. I know damn near everyone here and figured first impressions would be later this evening however over there I knew they be posting like crazy.

OS is operation sports

And there is No Better Site than TGT!! This has the best mods, best posters and best info!!!
      Do I have to find a cheerleader smiley now?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
      PeteyKirch -
      Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
      Part of the problem may be that the patch came out early. The first blog mentioned 'by the end of August,' but it appears it may have been a week (or more) early. I'm also surprised they didn't have something in the Uniform Store on day one (even though the blog said there wouldn't be anything), but maybe the game update came out earlier than expected and caught them off-guard.
      I would at least like to have the uniforms for the teams with incorrect mains, by August 31st the latest.

Rutgers plays their first game September 2nd, I'd like to start my dynasty with the real uniforms prior to that.

Also the teams that have had their main uniforms changed, and the jerseys have been known since April/May the file should be complete, how hard can it be to update? The files should be complete, it's just a matter of adding them?
      CLW -
      So... do I have to restart my offline dynasty for the dynasty changes to take effect or can I just pick up where I left off?
      gschwendt -
      Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
      So... do I have to restart my offline dynasty for the dynasty changes to take effect or can I just pick up where I left off?
      Should be able to pick up where you left off.
      CLW -
      Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
      Should be able to pick up where you left off.
      cool.

for whatever it is worth, just played my first game post patch in the TGTPS3 OD on heisman. I TORCHED the secondary deep all game long in the snow with I think I threw for over 400+ yards and would have won the game but for a couple of unfortunate weather related turnovers.

obviously i need more time to play with it but if this game is any indication the deep safety defense is much worse than before.
      PeteyKirch -
      Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
      cool.

for whatever it is worth, just played my first game post patch in the TGTPS3 OD on heisman. I TORCHED the secondary deep all game long in the snow with I think I threw for over 400+ yards and would have won the game but for a couple of unfortunate weather related turnovers.

obviously i need more time to play with it but if this game is any indication the deep safety defense is much worse than before.
      My first game against the CPU was a 55-0 blowout using Rutgers against Navy.

My sliders will need a complete overhaul, at least when it comes the CPU pass defense when I was able to do this;

gschwendt -
      I would say your QB Accuracy slider needs adjusted... in Powerhouse, we're on Heisman with the slider at 5 and it provides a pretty good set. I have Michigan and with Robinson & Gardner, I have to really choose my passes carefully. Granted I haven't played since the patch, but just food for thought.
      PeteyKirch -
      Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
      I would say your QB Accuracy slider needs adjusted... in Powerhouse, we're on Heisman with the slider at 5 and it provides a pretty good set. I have Michigan and with Robinson & Gardner, I have to really choose my passes carefully. Granted I haven't played since the patch, but just food for thought.
      I had the User at 10 or 15 can't remember.

I just run a very conservative game plan.
      geckman -
      Well, my dynasty in year four, second game freezes at halftime with this new patch. Since the first patch I only had one freeze. I have tried playing 3 times today. Everytime it freezes going into halftime. But I do get to listen to Reese do his update before it freezes. I tried the old workaround and it still froze. I will try playing without my custom playbook and see what happens.
      WolverineJay -
      A few more quick impressions after messing around in practice mode and 1 more Play Now game vs Tennessee.

1) WR screens are improved due to better blocking
      2) Shotgun non-option runs are improved due to better blocking
      3) Juke is quicker more response from AI at least using Denard on option runs
      4) I no longer saw that low holding of the ball by ball carriers and defenders which looked asinine so hopefully it is completely gone
      5) The last scoreboard after the game ends seems to be lit up better so its much easier to read the final score

4 big issues just seen 1 in practice other 3 in exhibition game

1) In practice mode testing out the safety zone coverage issues the game just quit game not froze but shutdown on its own in the middle of the play (NEVER seen that in any EA Sports game until now)
      2) No huddle has a wrinkle added to it where the QB automatically does this communication animation like he is audibling really screws someone trying to call no huddle spike ball play
      3) Just like in Madden the QB can no longer hand off to the RB on PA Read or PA Slide pass plays (lol, we've been able to do that since NCAA 04' so its got to be a glitch)
      4) Shotgun option plays still result in DB's standing around or back peddling away from ball carriers mostly seen against zone defense
      JeffHCross -
      Quote Originally Posted by PeteyKirch View Post
      I just think it's poor business to open up a store with no products. At least have the base uniforms that were wrong, UW, Mizz, RU, Arky already in there.
      Poor business, I agree. Much like the Leinart/Tebow/whoever-it-was DLC that is on our menu yet still "unavailable". However:
      • This is Patch #2. According to everything I've been told in the past, AAA titles get 2 patches for free from M$ and Sony.
      • The uniforms obviously aren't "done" yet. (Or at least not everything they want to be done)
      • The Uniform Store had to be patched in.
      • Therefore, they had two choices. Patch the store in now, or wait until the uniforms are all "ready" and release a patch then.
      • From a business standpoint, they're not going to plan to release something in Patch #3, since they have to pay for it (based on what I know). They're definitely not going to wait to release the Uniform Store in Patch #3, because then they're left with the possibility that they'll have to pay M$ and Sony just to release the Uniform Store. Patch #3 is a "if we have to" item, not an automatic.

I absolutely agree (and would have expected) that they should have had something. But I can understand why the Uniform Store was included in Patch #2, regardless of what content they had available.
      SmoothPancakes -
      Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
      Poor business, I agree. Much like the Leinart/Tebow/whoever-it-was DLC that is on our menu yet still "unavailable". However:
      • This is Patch #2. According to everything I've been told in the past, AAA titles get 2 patches for free from M$ and Sony.
      • The uniforms obviously aren't "done" yet. (Or at least not everything they want to be done)
      • The Uniform Store had to be patched in.
      • Therefore, they had two choices. Patch the store in now, or wait until the uniforms are all "ready" and release a patch then.
      • From a business standpoint, they're not going to plan to release something in Patch #3, since they have to pay for it (based on what I know). They're definitely not going to wait to release the Uniform Store in Patch #3, because then they're left with the possibility that they'll have to pay M$ and Sony just to release the Uniform Store. Patch #3 is a "if we have to" item, not an automatic.

I absolutely agree (and would have expected) that they should have had something. But I can understand why the Uniform Store was included in Patch #2, regardless of what content they had available.
      Plus it might be that this patch came out earlier than they expected and planned on. Based on previous announcements by EA, I wasn't even expecting this patch until sometime between August 24th and the 31st. Instead we got it a week and half to two weeks earlier than expected. The people working on these uniforms may have been operating under the same time frame.
      psuexv -
      Jay mentioned t but I'll add to it. The no huddle thing sucks. I just payed a game and running no huddle late in the game and every pay the QB gets to the line and gestures that he's making adjustments even though I didn't yet. The really annoying thing is I couldn't hike the ball for awhile and I couldn't figure out why. Apparently though I noticed my WRs were doing the animation like they can't hear the play call..... I was at home
      JBHuskers -
      Quote Originally Posted by psuexv View Post
      Jay mentioned t but I'll add to it. The no huddle thing sucks. I just payed a game and running no huddle late in the game and every pay the QB gets to the line and gestures that he's making adjustments even though I didn't yet. The really annoying thing is I couldn't hike the ball for awhile and I couldn't figure out why. Apparently though I noticed my WRs were doing the animation like they can't hear the play call..... I was at home
      Happened to me too.

psuexv -
      Couple other minor things.

Every time I came out of the huddle my assign icons would appear automatically and then disappear as I was walking to the los.

And the defensive adjustments bar that is across the top of the screen displayed the entire game, even when I was on offense. When I was on offense I'd have one at the top and the bottom. If I selected to hide it would get rid of the bottom one. This was an OD user game
      psuexv -
      Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
      Happened to me too.

It's freaking irritating as I'm in the hurry up for a reason
      gschwendt -
      Quote Originally Posted by psuexv View Post
      Couple other minor things.

Every time I came out of the huddle my assign icons would appear automatically and then disappear as I was walking to the los.

And the defensive adjustments bar that is across the top of the screen displayed the entire game, even when I was on offense. When I was on offense I'd have one at the top and the bottom. If I selected to hide it would get rid of the bottom one. This was an OD user game
      That's been doing that since launch. It's because your opponent is looking at it and/or they have the defensive adjustments bar up.
      gigemaggs99 -
      Not sure about this uniform stuff, but I thought I read somewhere that they (EA) intended for it to come out towards the end of August. Seems like it's only the middle of August...right?