• Settlement Changes EA SPORTS & NCAA Exclusivity for Five Year Period

A class-action lawsuit filed four years ago alleging EA SPORTS of violating antitrust and consumer protection laws has reached a potential $27 million settlement fund while also restricting exclusive deals for the company with the NCAA/CLC or the AFL.

The proposed settlement, filed with the court on July 19, 2012, would establish a $27 million fund for consumers who purchased Madden NFL, NCAA Football or AFL games published by EA. If the settlement is approved by the court, consumers who purchased a sixth generation title (GameCube, PlayStation 2, and Xbox) may receive up to $6.79 per game. Those who purchased a seventh generation title (Wii, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3) may be entitled to as much as $1.95 per game under the terms of the proposed settlement.

As consideration for the settlement, Electronic Arts has agreed to refrain from renewing or otherwise entering into an exclusive trademark license with the AFL for five years from the final date of approval of the proposed settlement. Moreover, Electronic Arts agrees not to renew its current collegiate football trademark license with the CLC on an exclusive basis after that license expires in 2014, or seek any new exclusive trademark license regarding football video games with the NCAA, the CLC, or any NCAA member institution covered by the current exclusive license for a period of five years thereafter.

This appears to mean that EA will be unable to have an exclusive license for NCAA Football for five years beginning in 2014. Given that the last college football competitor came from Sega's College Football 2K3 and the costs that would incur (start-up, development on the 'next' next-gen, licensing, etc.), it does not seem likely a competitor will emerge. TGT will add more information as it becomes available. Continue on for more information and additional coverage.

From the press release from Hagens Berman LLP:

Attorneys representing purchasers of Electronic Arts, Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) (“EA”) football video games have reached a proposed settlement over claims that the gaming giant violated antitrust and consumer protection laws and overcharged consumers for the games.

The case, originally filed June 5, 2008, in the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, alleges that EA violated antitrust and consumer protection laws by establishing exclusive license agreements with the National Football League (NFL), National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), and the Arena Football League (AFL). The agreements gave EA the exclusive right to produce football video games with the teams, players and other assets of the NFL, AFL and NCAA, the lawsuit states.

The proposed settlement, filed with the court on July 19, 2012, would establish a $27 million fund for consumers who purchased Madden NFL, NCAA Football or AFL games published by EA. If the settlement is approved by the court, consumers who purchased a sixth generation title (GameCube, PlayStation 2, and Xbox) may receive up to $6.79 per game. Those who purchased a seventh generation title (Wii, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3) may be entitled to as much as $1.95 per game under the terms of the proposed settlement.

It also stipulates that EA will not sign an exclusive license arrangement with the AFL for five years and will not renew its current agreement with the NCAA, which expires in 2014, for at least five years.

“After more than four years of hard-fought litigation, we have reached a settlement that we strongly believe is fair to consumers,” said attorney Steve Berman, managing partner of Hagens Berman, the law firm representing consumers. “We look forward to moving this process forward and asking the court to approve this settlement, which we think is in the best interests of the class.”

On April 6, 2011, the court certified a class of consumers in the case, including all persons who purchased Madden NFL, NCAA Football or AFL games published by EA between January 1, 2005, and the present.

The proposed settlement must be approved by the court before it is final.

Click the following links for coverage from Kotaku, Operation Sports, and pastapadre.
    Comments 53 Comments
      souljahbill -
      I just finished reading about this on OS and reading pastapadre's analysis. People couldn't wait to proclaim the 2nd coming of football messiah, 2K.
      JeffHCross -
      Good grief. I understand why they settled, but good grief, that's ridiculous for the claims the suit was based on.

( EDIT: Assuming the settlement is accepted by the court. )

I'll be interested to see if I end up getting anything out of the class action or not. I tried to opt out, but later discovered that they had a lot more e-mail addresses then I remembered I had.
      beartide06 -
      How would they determine who bought which games for which systems, anyways?
      JeffHCross -
      Quote Originally Posted by beartide06 View Post
      How would they determine who bought which games for which systems, anyways?
      EA would have some records (which is how the company with the lawsuit got all our e-mail addresses, I believe), but many class action lawsuits don't require proof of purchase.
      beartide06 -
      Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
      EA would have some records (which is how the company with the lawsuit got all our e-mail addresses, I believe), but many class action lawsuits don't require proof of purchase.
      Makes sense. Hmmm this could change a lot of things. I just hope we aren't without a college football game for a few years.
      JeffHCross -
      Per Kotaku's article on this subject:
      The settlement's most notable restriction is a five-year ban on any exclusive license between EA Sports and the NCAA, once their current pact expires in 2014. But this has little real effect, as the last NCAA football video game published by someone other than EA Sports was Sega's College Football 2K3 a decade ago. EA Sports is still free to strike any non-exclusive deal with the NCAA after 2014.
      So I don't think we'll be without CFB for any amount of time.
      GatorBait06NC -
      So this means we could see the return of College Hoops 2K. There is a God.

I would love to see that series return. College Hoops 2k8 is still the last playable college basketball game made.

I would love to see them make a College Football game as well. And bury EA.
      GatorBait06NC -
      So there will be no new deal with the NFL either?? Uh oh. EA is about to have to work and compete for their money.
      JBHuskers -
      I doubt EA will be buried. 2K won't want to pay for any additional licenses.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
      JeffHCross -
      Quote Originally Posted by GatorBait06NC View Post
      So this means we could see the return of College Hoops 2K. There is a God.
      No. EA does not have any kind of exclusive college basketball license, so this doesn't effect that. 2k voluntarily chose to discontinue the College Hoops series because of rising licensing costs that were not offset by the amount of sales they were making.
      I would love to see them make a College Football game as well. And bury EA.
      They have made college football games. Not so much on the burying, though.
      So there will be no new deal with the NFL either?? Uh oh. EA is about to have to work and compete for their money.
      The settlement does not appear to affect, in any way, EA's deal with the NFL.
      SmoothPancakes -
      At least from the information in the first post, Madden isn't part of this settlement, just licenses with the AFL and NCAA/CLC.

As for 2K, there is no way in hell they'll make a college football game. They are shedding as many licenses as they can, even saying they want to focus on their own IPs in the future. NBA 2K will still be around, but they already dropped MLB 2K, they aren't going to piss away the money to make a college football game, considering it'd be at least 2-3 years before they could release a game if they haven't started working on the base for one, and even then, they'd be way behind what features and stuff are already in EA's game.
      baseballplyrmvp -
      Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
      At least from the information in the first post, Madden isn't part of this settlement, just licenses with the AFL and NCAA/CLC.

As for 2K, there is no way in hell they'll make a college football game. They are shedding as many licenses as they can, even saying they want to focus on their own IPs in the future. NBA 2K will still be around, but they already dropped MLB 2K, they aren't going to piss away the money to make a college football game, considering it'd be at least 2-3 years before they could release a game if they haven't started working on the base for one, and even then, they'd be way behind what features and stuff are already in EA's game.
      i doubt they'd ever make a college game first, without attempting a pro game first.
      I OU a Beatn -
      Great news. The exclusive license is the sole reason why NCAA(and Madden) has sucked so much this generation. Let's hope another developer jumps in to give them some competition.

...and for the record, I mean any developer. I don't care if it's 2K. I don't know what everyone's love fest is with 2K, but all their games I've played sucked almost as much as NCAA has this generation. Hell, I remember people clamoring over how Backbreaker was better than NCAA. I hate the problems with NCAA just as much as the next guy, but not enough to say one of the worst games ever made is better than it. I mean, really? Backbreaker better than NCAA?
      JeffHCross -
      The college market hasn't had competition since the Genesis and Playstation days, and I don't see that changing, even with this settlement.
      CLW -
      The parties settled so they and the judge almost always approves what the sharks er lawyers want. It will be interesting to see if anyone steps up when the exclusive deal expires. I'd love to see 2K jump in but as previously noted they are in a world of financial trouble (at least the last I heard) and couldn't afford the NCAA licensing fees to continue College Hoops (my favorite sports series of all time).

I agree that competition is always the best for consumers but I'm worried/concerned that EA has dominated the market for this product so.... long few will be willing to step up. Additionally, any company that does step up into this NCAA market is opening themselves up to "likeness" litigation (depending on the outcome of the suit against EA). That gives them two options (1) put up "crap" rosters or (2) pass the cost of the lawsuits on to their consumers via less features in the game or a higher priced product.

Moreover, if someone does step up their product likely will not be up to where EA's currently is because they would be starting from scratch. I just don't see the consumer base buying a product with so little "bells & whistles" that EA brings.

EDIT: The ONLY "interesting" thing about this that could change the above analysis is that the NCAA exclusive license expires roughly around the same time of the rumored 720/PS4 launch. Perhaps if someone started developing specifically for those consoles they could give EA a run for its money. I remember the 1st 360 and PS3 NCAA games were pretty bare bones dropping MANY things from the PS2 days.
      JeffHCross -
      Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
      I remember the 1st 360 and PS3 NCAA games were pretty bare bones dropping MANY things from the PS2 days.
      I'm pretty confident that we won't see a launch NCAA title this go around. They'll give themselves more time to get a full-featured title out. Of course, that would also possibly give more time to a competitor.
      OSUCowboyofMD -
      I don't know how I'll survive without this game!
      Jayrah -
      Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
      I just finished reading about this on OS and reading pastapadre's analysis. People couldn't wait to proclaim the 2nd coming of football messiah, 2K.
      HAHAHAHAHAHA . They are so far behind the curve though. And this game is actually getting pretty good.
      herropreese -
      It may or may not signal the return of another game to challenge EA.

But at least it opens the possibility of it happening. We may all end up pleasantly surprised.
      jaymo76 -
      Quote Originally Posted by herropreese View Post
      It may or may not signal the return of another game to challenge EA.

But at least it opens the possibility of it happening. We may all end up pleasantly surprised.
      I agree with this sentiment. I really don't expect a competitor to emerge for NCAA and if one did I would not have high expectations. However, I would love to see how Tiburon would have to raise their game in order to deal with competition. The NCAA series is my favourite of any PS2/PS3 series and I love it. I would be hard pressed to adopt a new college game as it would just be so far behind in so many regards (stadiums, uniforms, etc. When you really think about it, NCAA has a TON of stuff in it.