• NCAA Football 13 Not Using Infinity Engine (Real Time Physics)

Today football gamers erupted in applause when it was unveiled that EA Sports would be using a physics engine called Infinity Engine in the upcoming Madden NFL 13. Speculation immediately began whether or not NCAA Football 13 would receive the same treatment. IGN has confirmed that NCAA Football 13 will not have the Infinity Engine.

NCAA is holding off on using Madden's new Infinity Engine until next year, which means this superior football franchise needs to use itself to its advantage if it wants to keep its edge sharp as ever.

More from Cam Weber (General Manager for both titles) via Kotaku

The elephant in the room is NCAA Football, which will get real-time physics next year, Weber said. It ships seven weeks before Madden does, and when the football group decided to go for it and bring physics to this year's game—Weber said he came into this year's game unsure if they would—it was too late to properly integrate with NCAA.

Comments 76 Comments
      Gotmadskillzson -
      unacceptable.............I'm tired of the NCAA series being treated as the red headed step child.........1st Madden got expanded passer ratings......NCAA didn't ...........Madden got DPP and player traits.........NCAA didn't.......Now Madden get a brand new real time physics engine and NCAA doesn't..........It is almost like EA is slowly killing this series off.
      beartide06 -
      Such a disappointment. To me, if Madden can introduce it without having time constraints, what would limit NCAA from introducing it? Is it just a market bias for Madden or is it something else? I truly hope this NCAA announcement we get is something good, otherwise people will bash NCAA this year. Like I said in a previous post, Madden will feel far superior to NCAA this year when transitioning back and forth from one game to the other. In fact, some gamers may not even pick up NCAA this year because of the drastic difference. I give this a
      Tarhead10 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson View Post
      unacceptable.............I'm tired of the NCAA series being treated as the red headed step child.........1st Madden got expanded passer ratings......NCAA didn't ...........Madden got DPP and player traits.........NCAA didn't.......Now Madden get a brand new real time physics engine and NCAA doesn't..........It is almost like EA is slowly killing this series off.
      I have to agree 100%..... I just dont understand why the NCAA team feels it cant make better changes, but year after year Madden does.... I know they have a bigger budget, but this could have been implemented in NCAA...
      JBHuskers -
      http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=ncaa+football+12

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=madden+nfl+12

Here is a start as to why RTP is in Madden and not in NCAA. MUCH more pressure to get it out and working for Madden as it is their 2nd biggest piece of the pie behind FIFA.
      Little Steve -
      aw titties
      beartide06 -
      Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post

Here is a start as to why RTP is in Madden and not in NCAA. MUCH more pressure to get it out and working for Madden as it is their 2nd biggest piece of the pie behind FIFA.
      Thanks for the links, sir. Yeah, that is a MASSIVE difference. Madden is clearly the more well-known product between the two, and it also is evident that it sells better.
      SmoothPancakes -

And thus why Madden has and will always have a much more massive budget than NCAA ever will, and why most stuff gets put into Madden first and then trickles down to NCAA.
      Adibesee -
      JB,

Your assessment is likely 100% correct, but my issue is with the continued un-necessary division EA creates when dealing with NCAA and Madden. I work for a Fortune 500 company and 100% understand the bottom line, suits and decisions that can be counter to what happens in the real world. With that said I don’t understand why they felt it necessary to separate these games in such a fundamental way. I love college football and play NCAA as much as my schedule allows. This used to be non-stop, and as I have aged and now have a family that time has diminished. To be honest I still find some joy in the game but as someone who normally owns both Madden and NCAA I think this may be the move that pushes me away from NCAA. (at least from a play when I have time perspective standpoint). In addition I will likely work to buy NCAA used.I don’t want this viewed as an attack on the developer. Trust me I realize they aren’t the decision makers, but that change in my purchase will at least make me feel better. The only way any company learns is when their bottom line is affected. I think their decision could push the needle in the direction for EA.
      Deuce -
      I think EA could have saved me some grief if they would have just come out and said this new feature would not be in NCAA. ...or at least let the GC's let people know that it would not be in NCAA. I think the frustrating part was hearing about and watching the new engine then 5 minutes later hearing that it would not be in NCAA. I'm over it and will still enjoy NCAA like I do every year but DAMN!

I think G mentioned this in another thread but there is the bug issue we still need to think about. Wasn't there some feature a few years back that was in Madden but not in NCAA? We all threw a fit but it turned out to be a blessing b/c the Madden feature was bug ridden. I hope the new engine works flawlessly for those people who love Madden. If it does, great. Will be even better next year. If it sucks then it will be better next year for NCAA!
      beartide06 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
      I think EA could have saved me some grief if they would have just come out and said this new feature would not be in NCAA. ...or at least let the GC's let people know that it would not be in NCAA. I think the frustrating part was hearing about and watching the new engine then 5 minutes later hearing that it would not be in NCAA. I'm over it and will still enjoy NCAA like I do every year but DAMN!

I think G mentioned this in another thread but there is the bug issue we still need to think about. Wasn't there some feature a few years back that was in Madden but not in NCAA? We all threw a fit but it turned out to be a blessing b/c the Madden feature was bug ridden. I hope the new engine works flawlessly for those people who love Madden. If it does, great. Will be even better next year. If it sucks then it will be better next year for NCAA!
      I am with you
      gschwendt -
      Here's a brief word from EA regarding NCAA & RTP:
      http://kotaku.com/5915444/the-real-t...ow-says-madden
      The elephant in the room is NCAA Football, which will get real-time physics next year, Weber said. It ships seven weeks before Madden does, and when the football group decided to go for it and bring physics to this year's game—Weber said he came into this year's game unsure if they would—it was too late to properly integrate with NCAA.
      AustinWolv -
      Booooo, for the fact that momentum and strength/size still aren't accounted for in NCAA......
      MC1 -
      I don't understand
      JBHuskers -
      Quote Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
      I don't understand
      Basically if RTP was in NCAA this year, it would be probably full of bugs. There wasn't proper development time to get it in this year.
      SmoothPancakes -
      Basically if RTP was in NCAA this year, it would be probably full of bugs. There wasn't proper development time to get it in this year.
      Which means basically there were two ways this would go.

The current way, where NCAA isn't getting it until NCAA 14 and everyone is bitching about it.

Or, the team tried to put it in NCAA 13, was forced to rush to get it in in time, ended up being full of bugs and probably REALLY DID make NCAA unplayable (not just people complaining about this or that little things in the gameplay like in the past, but completely fucking up the gameplay to the point of the entire game not being playable in any form) and then every single one of us would be sitting here in a month bitching and moaning 24/7 because EA fucked up NCAA by trying to rush and get something added to the game that was full of bugs and issues that completely made the game entirely unplayable.
      JBHuskers -
      You'd probably get NCAA Backbreaker
      ryby6969 -
      Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
      Which means basically there were two ways this would go.

The current way, where NCAA isn't getting it until NCAA 14 and everyone is bitching about it.

Or, the team tried to put it in NCAA 13, was forced to rush to get it in in time, ended up being full of bugs and probably REALLY DID make NCAA unplayable (not just people complaining about this or that little things in the gameplay like in the past, but completely fucking up the gameplay to the point of the entire game not being playable in any form) and then every single one of us would be sitting here in a month bitching and moaning 24/7 because EA fucked up NCAA by trying to rush and get something added to the game that was full of bugs and issues that completely made the game entirely unplayable.
      This isn't true. They said in the podcast that the Madden team did not decide to use RTP in the game until the CD event in May. They had such a good response, the decided to roll with it. If this is the case, they had a plan to go on without it. NCAA could have done this also. I would have been fine with we were trying to get it in, but it would have been to buggy rather than we decided not to from the beginning.
      SmoothPancakes -
      You'd probably get NCAA Backbreaker
      That sounds about right.
      Deuce -
      So now they we know RTP is out what does everyone think the NCAA announcement is? My best guess is...I have no clue!?
      JeffHCross -
      I agree with the posts above. The fact that RTP isn't in NCAA is not, in itself, disappointing. The fact that I have to find that out via news and community websites is more of a sock in the gut.

Quote Originally Posted by beartide06 View Post
      To me, if Madden can introduce it without having time constraints
      I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "time constraints", but shipping almost two months later is a huge difference in development time.
      Quote Originally Posted by ryby6969 View Post
      This isn't true. They said in the podcast that the Madden team did not decide to use RTP in the game until the CD event in May. They had such a good response, the decided to roll with it. If this is the case, they had a plan to go on without it. NCAA could have done this also.
      By the time the May CD event would have rolled around (basing this off of last year, I don't even know if there was a May event this year), the game would be about (this) close to going final. Bug fixes are difficult enough to get implemented in retail code in that time frame. No way can you roll out a feature, especially something as fundamentally game-changing as RTP, in that time frame. We're not talking NCAA Backbreaker level ... we're talking the potential for gameplay fundamentally broken level.

Even the May timeframe is probably a red herring. They might have "decided" to use it then, but it had to be well integrated by that point anyway. They certainly weren't starting from scratch at that point.

Now, could NCAA have made that decision ~mid-March? Maybe that's what you meant. Sure, they could have. But I'm guessing the reason Madden waited to "decide" until May was because it wasn't ready until May. Sometimes you have no choice.

I can't overstate how big a difference seven weeks makes in a development lifecycle. Most crucially here, you can still make mistakes when you have seven "extra" (compared to when another title is releasing) weeks in your pipeline.