• NCAA Football 13 - Heisman Challenge

The latest NCAA Football 13 Playbook webcast is is in the books and has unveiled the new Heisman Challenge mode. The mode allows users to select from a pool of former Heisman Trophy winners that can be placed on any team as they attempt to recreate or surpass that player's Heisman-winning season.

"There are familiar faces on the field in NCAA Football 13, which now features a selection of former Heisman Trophy winners. With the new Heisman Challenge mode, fans have the ability to utilize the skill set of a legendary Heisman Trophy winner in a quest to match his award-winning historical performances and win the Heisman trophy once again."

Continue on to see the webcast, as well as full Heisman Challenge news and coverage.

Official Site Blogs:
    May 30, 2012 - 'NCAA Football 13 Playbook #4 - Heisman Challenge Dev Blog' by Alex Howell
    May 30, 2012 - 'NCAA Football 13 Community Blog – Heisman Challenge' by Brian Parker

Media Articles:
    May 31, 2012 - ESPN Video Games: 'Legends return for Heisman Challenge' by Jon Robinson
    May 31, 2012 - Kotaku: 'Even Heisman Winners Have Video Game Fantasies, and That’s NCAA Football 13’s New Mode' by Owen Good

Webcast and Info

Watch live streaming video from easports at livestream.com

• 16 former Heisman winners
    • One season on any team
    • Specific goals and accomplishments for each player
    • Reaction Time - new gameplay feature. LT during gameplay
    • Over 64 video interviews with the Heisman winners; unlocked as you play. Different stories for each player: game specific interviews, Heisman questions, Recruiting questions, Reflections on their Heisman year.
    • Compete on new Heisman leaderboards
    • Bonus unlockables if you win the Heisman
    • Exact look from their glory days
    • 3D Modeled player heads
    • Retro style
    • Modeled after winning year
    • Load screen for game will give player facts and history

10 Playable Heisman Winners in Base Version
    • WR Desmond Howard
    • RB Barry Sanders
    • RB Eddie George
    • RB Marcus Allen
    • RB Herschel Walker
    • QB Robert Griffin III
    • QB Charlie Ward
    • QB Doug Flutie
    • QB Andre Ware
    • QB Carson Palmer

GameStop Pre-orders will unlock:
    • RB Mark Ingram
    • QB Tim Tebow
    • QB Matt Leinart

Play the Three Demo games to unlock:
    • WR Tim Brown
    • RB Archie Griffin
    • QB Jim Plunkett

The Athleticism
    Maxed out attributes
    • Overall ratings above 100
    • Eddie's speed
    • Herschel's power
    • Tim Brown's hands
    • Flutie's elusiveness

The Plays
    Tuned Playcalling
    • More passes for QBs
    • More rushes for RBs
    • More catches for Wrs

The Moments
    Special Teams added
    • Return kicks and punts
    • Recreate Desmond
    • Barry's returns
    • Tim Brown's 2 returns

The Challenge
    Break goals and accomplishments for each player
    • Player specific goals
    • Different goals for each Heisman Winner
    • Based on Heisman Year stats
    • Over 40 goals for each player

Compete on the Leaderboards
    • Finish Accomplishments to max out Legend Score

The Gameplay
    Heisman Mode & RTG Specific
    • Reaction Time slows the game
    • Left Trigger activates it
    • Letting go of LT brings you back to real-time

Camera Zoom in on the action
    • Position Specific Cameras
    • Seeing receivers run routes is easier
    • Running the ball is more fun

Reaction Time has its limits
    • Gain yards to gain more time
    • Meter at playcall shows amount of time you have left to use
    Comments 134 Comments
      xMrHitStickx904 -
      Completely agree with it's a copy of 2K's Jordan Challenge mode. Problem is, Jordan played like ... well himself during the era you had him in. Down to the special moves, jumper, uniform, shoes etc. None of these players in Heisman Challenge look any different from a normal counterpart. No signature jukes, signature throwing motions, things that make these obviously special players truly stand out.
      illwill10 -
      I think the Reaction Time feature is the main improvement to RTG.
      "The experience of being a college football superstar is now even more exciting with a new feature in Road to Glory that allows players to see and feel the game differently during key moments, increasing on-field awareness and creating amazing opportunities."

It is something I wont use in RTG. I just hope they finally have Custom Quarter Lengths in RTG. I would love to see drills, but I doubt will happen
      ram29jackson -
      Quote Originally Posted by brza37 View Post
      This looks like an awful copy of 2k's Challenge Mode. I have no problem with them copying the idea at all but they totally missed the point. People played The Jordan Challenge because 2k actually got his playstyle, signature moves, mannerisms and the memorable moments down pat. They also put you in his shoes during the right time period. This is just pre-made create a player mode with juiced up ratings. If they could have recreated that same feeling with Baryy Sanders that 2k did with Jordan I would be all over this. But in the clips Barry looks like he plays no differently than any other RB in NCAA. They could have at least given him a more personalized player model but the model he has is so generic. Nothing about that player resembles Barry except his face. His low center of gravity, jukes cutting ability and spin moves are just not there. Add to the fact that you're just playing against the normal modern day rosters and the mode makes no sense. How could they miss the point of this mode so badly? But when you see how Alex demoed the game its easy to see who this is marketed too. When he played as Howard he only ran something remotely close to the route once. And still the QB magically knew where he was going to be and threw it to him right on the money despite the fact that he ran completely different routes than the ones that were called. Awful.
      I agree, its generic fodder
      ram29jackson -
      thats funny/interesting...EA just changed the look of their forums to the new NCAA 13 backround..the green actually looks better LOL its easier on the eyes
      cdj -
      E3 2012: Slow Your Role in NCAA Football 13's Heisman Mode

NCAA is holding off on using Madden's new Infinity Engine until next year, which means this superior football franchise needs to use itself to its advantage if it wants to keep its edge sharp as ever. The Heisman mode isn't just about giving you a name to play. It's about putting top-tier players from the past on any roster you want. Eddie George and Charlie Ward can bring school pride to your favorite team even if they didn't really go there. With more coming as DLC, EA Sports is really planning to run with this.
      ram29jackson -
      It's about putting top-tier players from the past on any roster you want. Eddie George and Charlie Ward can bring school pride to your favorite team even if they didn't really go there. With more coming as DLC, EA Sports is really planning to run with this

boring..yawn..etc

really quite silly is all it is. Road to Glory will still be more fun than this
      gschwendt -
      Heisman Challenge Packs available on PSN & XBL.

Unlock Tim Tebow, Mark Ingram, and Matt Leinart for use in Heisman Mode with the Heisman Challenge - Recent Winners Pack!

400 MSP (XBox Live Marketplace)
      $4.99 USD (PlayStation Store)

Unlock Tim Brown, Archie Griffin, and Jim Plunkett for use in Heisman Mode with the Heisman Challenge - Classic Players Pack!

400 MSP (XBox Live Marketplace)
      $4.99 USD (PlayStation Store)
      CLW -
      Wow $5 is a bit steep for three RTG players you could probably create yourself if you really wanted to. It MIGHT be worth $2.50 if you were REALLY into the mode.
      JBHuskers -
      Yeah, they don't tie into me getting the so I will probably pass.
      CLW -
      Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
      Yeah, they don't tie into me getting the so I will probably pass.
      LMAO I'd be LIVID if I had to do Heisman mode 6 more times. It became so..... tedious/boring during Season Ticket it became a running joke in the threads here posting stats.
      JBHuskers -
      Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
      LMAO I'd be LIVID if I had to do Heisman mode 6 more times. It became so..... tedious/boring during Season Ticket it became a running joke in the threads here posting stats.
      Yeah I got through RGIII really quick, still stuck on Sanders. It is tedious and boring.
      CLW -
      Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
      Yeah I got through RGIII really quick, still stuck on Sanders. It is tedious and boring.
      Here was my strategy

#1 RBs - go to run WILD for 2 games and then just super sim the rest of the season
      #2 QBs - go to throw like CRAZY for 2 games then just super sim
      #3 WRs - go to run nothing but streaks for a few weeks and then super sim
      JeffHCross -
      Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
      Wow $5 is a bit steep for three RTG players you could probably create yourself if you really wanted to.
      For me, it's not about them being RTG guys (and I'm not sure how you'd go about creating them yourself). I love the videos. Eddie George's video about Illinois (which, if you're playing as Ohio State, unlocks the week of the Illinois game) is awesome. He starts laughing when he's reminiscing about having 187 yards at halftime. Because, y'know, it is laughably ridiculous.