• NCAA Football 13 - Heisman Challenge

The latest NCAA Football 13 Playbook webcast is is in the books and has unveiled the new Heisman Challenge mode. The mode allows users to select from a pool of former Heisman Trophy winners that can be placed on any team as they attempt to recreate or surpass that player's Heisman-winning season.

"There are familiar faces on the field in NCAA Football 13, which now features a selection of former Heisman Trophy winners. With the new Heisman Challenge mode, fans have the ability to utilize the skill set of a legendary Heisman Trophy winner in a quest to match his award-winning historical performances and win the Heisman trophy once again."

Continue on to see the webcast, as well as full Heisman Challenge news and coverage.

Official Site Blogs:
    May 30, 2012 - 'NCAA Football 13 Playbook #4 - Heisman Challenge Dev Blog' by Alex Howell
    May 30, 2012 - 'NCAA Football 13 Community Blog – Heisman Challenge' by Brian Parker

Media Articles:
    May 31, 2012 - ESPN Video Games: 'Legends return for Heisman Challenge' by Jon Robinson
    May 31, 2012 - Kotaku: 'Even Heisman Winners Have Video Game Fantasies, and That’s NCAA Football 13’s New Mode' by Owen Good

Webcast and Info

Watch live streaming video from easports at livestream.com

• 16 former Heisman winners
    • One season on any team
    • Specific goals and accomplishments for each player
    • Reaction Time - new gameplay feature. LT during gameplay
    • Over 64 video interviews with the Heisman winners; unlocked as you play. Different stories for each player: game specific interviews, Heisman questions, Recruiting questions, Reflections on their Heisman year.
    • Compete on new Heisman leaderboards
    • Bonus unlockables if you win the Heisman
    • Exact look from their glory days
    • 3D Modeled player heads
    • Retro style
    • Modeled after winning year
    • Load screen for game will give player facts and history

10 Playable Heisman Winners in Base Version
    • WR Desmond Howard
    • RB Barry Sanders
    • RB Eddie George
    • RB Marcus Allen
    • RB Herschel Walker
    • QB Robert Griffin III
    • QB Charlie Ward
    • QB Doug Flutie
    • QB Andre Ware
    • QB Carson Palmer

GameStop Pre-orders will unlock:
    • RB Mark Ingram
    • QB Tim Tebow
    • QB Matt Leinart

Play the Three Demo games to unlock:
    • WR Tim Brown
    • RB Archie Griffin
    • QB Jim Plunkett

The Athleticism
    Maxed out attributes
    • Overall ratings above 100
    • Eddie's speed
    • Herschel's power
    • Tim Brown's hands
    • Flutie's elusiveness

The Plays
    Tuned Playcalling
    • More passes for QBs
    • More rushes for RBs
    • More catches for Wrs

The Moments
    Special Teams added
    • Return kicks and punts
    • Recreate Desmond
    • Barry's returns
    • Tim Brown's 2 returns

The Challenge
    Break goals and accomplishments for each player
    • Player specific goals
    • Different goals for each Heisman Winner
    • Based on Heisman Year stats
    • Over 40 goals for each player

Compete on the Leaderboards
    • Finish Accomplishments to max out Legend Score

The Gameplay
    Heisman Mode & RTG Specific
    • Reaction Time slows the game
    • Left Trigger activates it
    • Letting go of LT brings you back to real-time

Camera Zoom in on the action
    • Position Specific Cameras
    • Seeing receivers run routes is easier
    • Running the ball is more fun

Reaction Time has its limits
    • Gain yards to gain more time
    • Meter at playcall shows amount of time you have left to use
    Comments 134 Comments
      xMrHitStickx904 -
      Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
      Amen! Now I did play the legends stuff in NBA 2K12, and I enjoyed it when I played it, but I haven't touched the legends modes/stuff since October when I played it the first time. It just doesn't really have any replay value for me. Once I beat it, that's it, not really much anything else to do in it. Same thing with the Madden Moments. I like playing the Madden moments and reliving some of the greatest moments of games that I've watched, but after I go through and beat the Madden Moments and complete them all on a given edition, that's it. I rarely, if ever, go back and play them again, it just becomes a "throw away mode" for me.

So while they're nice modes, and are fun the first time playing them, after that it just sort of becomes a waste of space (at least for me it does) and makes me wish all the time spent on it would have been spent on something with more staying power, more replayability, etc, something that will benefit the game long-term, be it dynasty mode, online dynasty, gameplay, whatever.
      This might be the best thing you've ever posted. Seriously.
      SmoothPancakes -
      Quote Originally Posted by xMrHitStickx904 View Post
      This might be the best thing you've ever posted. Seriously.
      Well, I like to thing I have had some great posts in the past. But thank you.

I can see these modes being great ways to try and draw in casual fans, maybe the talk of the mode on the back of the box will influence them to buy the game, and the modes, as I said, are indeed fun to play for a bit, but after a while, they just lose their luster and become background clutter.

Take NCAA 12. When I first got the game, I was jumping around between Dynasty, Online Dynasty (while I was a part of one) and Road to Glory. Over time I stopped going to various things and now, when I get on NCAA 12, I completely ignore everything else in the game and just go straight to Dynasty and load up my coaching carousel dynasty.

Same thing with NBA 2K12 and the legends stuff. I played the legends stuff when it first came out, unlocked all the legends teams, the players, had a lot of fun with it. Now? I go straight to either My Player or Association, that's it.

It's going to end up being the same thing with this mode. I'll check it out, I'll play, have some fun with it, and after a while, that'll be it. I won't go back to it, I'll end up doing my usual of focusing all my time on Dynasty. Nothing against them putting time into stuff like this, since I'm sure it will help the casual gamer sales and sell some extra copies of people wandering by and see it on the back of the box, but I personally would much prefer them put the time in on dynasty, online dynasty and gameplay instead.
      JBHuskers -
      If there are trophies, I'll play it

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
      souljahbill -
      And you know there will be.
      gschwendt -
      Webcast is live. You can watch the stream here:
      http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/for...sman-Challenge
      cdj -
      • 16 former Heisman winners
      • One season on any team
      • Specific goals and accomplishments for each player
      • Reaction Time - new gameplay feature
      • Over 64 video interviews with the Heisman winners
      • Compete on new Heisman leaderboards
      • Bonus unlockables if you win the Heisman
      gschwendt -
      Players available in the Heisman Challenge

Desmond Howard
      Tim Brown
      Barry Sanders
      Eddie George
      Marcus Allen
      Hershel Walker
      Archie Griffin
      Mark Ingram
      Robert Griffin III
      Charlie Ward
      Doug Flutie
      Jim Plunkett
      Matt Leinart
      Tim Tebow
      Andre Ware
      Carson Palmer
      gschwendt -
      Each player has a 3D modeled player head showing what they looked like when they won the Heisman.
      gschwendt -
      Sixty-Four video interviews with every player unlocked as you play. Different stories from each player... game specific questions, heisman questions, recruiting questions, & reflections on their heisman year.
      JBHuskers -
      The interviews will be very cool to watch.
      gschwendt -
      Webcast shows sample interviews with Eddie George (talking about his Heisman clinching game), Archie Griffin (talking about he'd like to play in a Spread offense), & Herschel Walker (talking about winning the Heisman).
      gschwendt -
      Players ratings are over the 99OVR threshold.
      Tuned playcalling... more passes for QBs, more runs for RBs, & more catches for WRs.
      The Moments... can now return kicks & punts.
      gschwendt -
      Target goals to accomplish & break records that the players set.
      gschwendt -
      Reaction Time - "slows down the game", camera zooms in on the action... limited based on performance (perform better, get more reaction time). It's the Max Payne/Matrix effect brought into football.
      L2/LT triggers it (hence why the option pitch was moved this year).
      JBHuskers -
      Reaction Time is a blast to do on kickoff returns. At one of the community days we had an impromptu contest of who could get the most kickoff returns for a touchdown.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
      gschwendt -
      BTW, Reaction Time is only in Heisman Challenge and Road to Glory. You don't have to worry about it bleeding over into dynasty nor play now games.
      gschwendt -
      Sneak peek of the main menu in the webcast.
      gschwendt -
      You can put the players on any team, Barry Sanders on Stanford, etc.
      gschwendt -
      Webcast shows "gameplay"... it's all based on Heisman Challenge but you can possibly get an idea of what to expect in 13.
      psuexv -
      Rudy is not going to be happy with those lack of jukes.