• FIFA 13 - Gameplay Preview

[Editor's Note: The following special report previewing the gameplay changes coming to FIFA 13 are from community member steelerfan.]

On Thursday, May 10th, EA Canada held an invite-only webcast for various community members to give us a preview of the many gameplay changes that are coming to FIFA 13. I was fortunate enough to be asked to participate in the webcast, which featured Producers Aaron McHardy and Nick Channon as well as Community Manager Romily Broad.

By now, FIFA fans, you have probably had the opportunity to read the "bullet point" articles that have come out giving brief descriptions of the various gameplay changes we're going to see when FIFA 13 hits the shelves this Fall. Let me tell you, those articles do not do the changes justice.

Reading those bullet points does not give you the level of depth and importance of each of the 5 key areas that the EAC team has addressed in FIFA 13. Those 5 areas include: Attack Intelligence, Complete Dribbling, First Touch Control, the Player Impact Engine, and Tactical Free Kicks, among other changes.

McHardy and Channon did an excellent job going over the various additions by showing us real-world examples, examples from FIFA 12, and examples from FIFA 13 (much of which came in the form of their pre-Alpha Testbed Environment). This gave us a great comparison that showcased how the additions will replicate what you see on the real pitch more accurately than FIFA 12. The changes are so robust, and potentially impactful, that the explanation of several of the items had to be rushed through in order to finish the webcast in under 2 hours (it had been planned to be just an hour).

Now that I've set the stage for what went on last Thursday, let me walk you through some of the details of how these gameplay upgrades will alter what we see on the virtual pitch this Fall.

First, the Attack Intelligence has received a complete overhaul. The game's positioning code has been re-factored and AI teammates will now make more decisive runs. Players will curve their runs to stay onside (as opposed to stopping in FIFA 12), and they will curve around defenders to get into open areas (all while keeping their hips open to the goal). In FIFA 12, the code only allowed for straight runs which meant that a properly positioned defender could prevent an attacking player from moving to open areas on the pitch.

Your virtual mates will create separation with the defenders to open passing channels and AI players will now think 2 plays ahead. By thinking 2 plays ahead, players will move into position to receive the ball early, instead of holding their position as they do in FIFA 12.

To balance the effects of these Attack Intelligence changes, the ability of individual players to perform these attacking strategies will be driven by their ratings and fatigue levels. In addition, McHardy stated that the defending AI will adapt to what they see and that the new Attacking Intelligence does not break, or wreak havoc on, the defensive side of the game. Instead, he said, the developers are seeing more balance, more options for the attacking team, and more realistic movements by attackers to gain positioning in dangerous areas.

Complete Dribbling is an area that builds on FIFA 12's Precision Dribbling (and some of the techniques introduced in FIFA Street) to give the user a tighter and more finite control experience on the ball. Player movement and the direction the player is facing have been separated so that each area now has a full 360° spectrum. This will allow players to dribble laterally, or backward, while facing the defender or the opposing net.

In FIFA 12, if you changed the direction you were dribbling, your player's hips and torso followed suit which caused an unrealistic slow down in your efforts to get off a pass or shot in tight space.

The entire dribbling system in FIFA 13 was designed on the idea of not slowing the user down, but giving you more control to keep pressure on the defense. Throughout his presentation, McHardy said that the moves are done with the left stick, but that button controls can override everything to pull off the exact move you're looking for. The idea was to let everyone experience this level of control without needing a Doctorate in Street Fighter Stick Skills to do it.

First Touch Control will impact several areas of the game. On the surface, it is a system that weighs the speed of the ball and player ratings, among other things, to determine how quickly (or if) a player gains control of the ball on a pass. While we were shown several examples of this, and how random (in a very fresh way) that first touch can be in FIFA 13 (no more gluing a bullet to a pass receiver), the biggest effect of this system may actually be to how defenders handle it.

When defending a lobbed through-ball, or a cross, in FIFA 12, it was far too easy to gain possession of the ball, turn upfield, and move to counter with an attack of your own. With the implementation of First Touch Control, users will have to make more realistic decisions as to whether or not they play that ball, or if they simply clear it into the stands. Choosing to play the ball will now carry with it an increased risk of committing a critical turnover.

The Player Impact Engine has been fleshed out as well. We shouldn't see anymore videos popping up of players falling on each other and engaging in activities that require an 'M' Rating. In FIFA 12, if one player landed on another, the code told them to get up as quickly as possible. This resulted in players becoming intimately tangled at times. Now, the top player will roll off the pile and both players can stand without showing each other any affection.

Better joint tension (no more "broken arm" visuals) and the elimination of "explosion" collisions will also add a welcomed level of visual realism that was missing, at times, in the first iteration of the Player Impact Engine in FIFA 12.

The effects of the Push/Pull button have been addressed too. It can be applied anywhere on the pitch, not just to the dribbler, to gain position on your opponent. Bigger, more physical players will use it to shield opposing Strikers in the Penalty Area from finding an open passing lane to receive the ball in prime scoring real estate.

Additionally, the referees will now fully understand it's effects and make their decisions accordingly (there will now be fouls and bookings for pull downs). In FIFA 12, the introduction of the Impact Engine had a negative effect on officiating. With an infinite number of types of collisions possible, the referees still had a finite number of them that they understood, resulting in too few calls. The referees will now "understand" everything they are seeing and the result will be better carding decisions.

The re-work of the free kick system, known as Tactical Free Kicks, is also meaty and should provide the user with numerous options to be creative when trying to find a way to get the ball on target. The option to add a 3rd kicker into the mix will give you plenty of opportunities to deceive the opposition with step-overs. We were shown several examples, and they immediately got the creative juices flowing. With up to two potential kickers stepping over the ball before it was actually struck, you could see the players on the wall, very realistically, reacting and adjusting to each potential kicker's approach.

Tactical Free Kicks didn't just introduce more options for the offensive side though. The defending club will be able to add or remove players from the wall before the kick, have their wall perform multiple jumps, and creep their wall forward (at the risk of an infraction being cited, or even booked, by the referee) to counteract what the kick taker's club is showing them. The upgrades to each side's approach should create a very intriguing game of cat-and-mouse when the game ships.

Some changes that weren't previously outlined were also shown to us. Lateral Contain has added the ability for a defender to contain an attacking player by moving laterally, while continuing to keep his hips facing the ball, in order to funnel the ball in a direction that is advantageous to the defensive side.

There are new pass types (the example shown was similar to a saucer pass in hockey) that will occur (by simply pressing the pass button) to maneuver the ball more effectively past defenders' legs and feet. Pass speeds have also been increased to go with First Touch Control. In FIFA 12, the speeds had been lowered to avoid adverse affects after the introduction of the Impact Engine.

Defenders will now have the intelligence to shield strikers from a loose ball rolling toward the goalline in an effort to gain a goal kick. New shot and clearance animations have also been added, as well as new celebrations.

As you can see, the "bullet point" articles, while accurate, did not come close to scratching the surface on the details of what has been overhauled, re-worked, added, and built upon in the gameplay areas of FIFA 13. I was impressed with all of the changes, and I'm looking forward to getting to try them out for myself this Fall.
    Comments 22 Comments
      psusnoop -
      Very good read, nice article too

Lots of good things in the article that are going to make this game even better. I gotta admit though, I do like that fouls will be called better
      cdj -
      Great write-up, steelerfan.This preview has been added to a full list of previews, which can be found here.
      Kwizzy -
      Really well done Steelerfan. Every year I want to get back into playing Fifa and every year I put it off. I was in Brasil during the World Cup in 2006 and instantly became hooked on "Futbol", and I constantly hear how great a game Fifa is. Perhaps this is the year I bite the bullet & make it happen!
      steelerfan -
      Thanks, guys.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to fire away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
      psuexv -
      Good stuff Matt. Looking forward to the new improvements. And yes I do mean that. Even though I don't play FIFA, I think what they do with the game is awesome and can trickle down to other titles. Would be cool to see the new positioning code transferred into Madden and NCAA to have WRs find holes in zones.
      steelerfan -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kwizzy View Post
      Really well done Steelerfan. Every year I want to get back into playing Fifa and every year I put it off. I was in Brasil during the World Cup in 2006 and instantly became hooked on "Futbol", and I constantly hear how great a game Fifa is. Perhaps this is the year I bite the bullet & make it happen!
      Quote Originally Posted by psuexv View Post
      Good stuff Matt. Looking forward to the new improvements. And yes I do mean that. Even though I don't play FIFA, I think what they do with the game is awesome and can trickle down to other titles. Would be cool to see the new positioning code transferred into Madden and NCAA to have WRs find holes in zones.
      We need to get you two guys on board this year. FIFA is a great franchise. You guys need to pick up 13 and get in our FIFA League here at TGT.

JBHuskers -
      Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
      We need to get you two guys on board this year. FIFA is a great franchise. You guys need to pick up 13 and get in our FIFA League here at TGT.

Definitely. I went from a less than part-time FIFA player to a full-time one with FIFA 12.
      psusnoop -
      Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
      Definitely. I went from a less than part-time FIFA player to a full-time one with FIFA 12.
      This was my first Fifa game ever and I'm enjoying it quite a bit!
      jaymo76 -
      Great write up Steeler. In addition, a big thank you for organizing the FIFA 12 league this year. I'm not great at the game but it's a heck of a lot of fun to play online even when I lose (which is often )
      steelerfan -
      Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
      Great write up Steeler. In addition, a big thank you for organizing the FIFA 12 league this year. I'm not great at the game but it's a heck of a lot of fun to play online even when I lose (which is often )
      Thanks, jaymo. Looking forward to getting you back in for Season 4.

SmoothPancakes -
      Looking forward to this game. FIFA 10 is the only soccer game I've ever bought, so definitely time to upgrade. Now if only we had a 360 FIFA league on here.
      steelerfan -
      Looking forward to this game. FIFA 10 is the only soccer game I've ever bought, so definitely time to upgrade. Now if only we had a 360 FIFA league on here.
      Get a PS3 already!

SmoothPancakes -
      Get a PS3 already!

Get a 360 already!

jaymo76 -
      Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
      Get a 360 already!

Get a PS3... 2 beats 1 so it's official Smooth. Sve up those pennies and you can be in for the first online season of 13.
      SmoothPancakes -
      Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
      Get a PS3... 2 beats 1 so it's official Smooth. Sve up those pennies and you can be in for the first online season of 13.
      Not a sound investment for me. Pretty much the only game that would get any playtime on the PS3 is FIFA, maybe future NHL and Tiger Woods games, since I'm the only one of my friends who play and own those two games on 360. Everything else that would get serious playing time, especially online with friends, would be bought for 360 since that's what 95% of my friends all play on and that we play together.
      JBHuskers -
      Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
      Get a PS3 already!

You're kinda outnumbered here Smooth. Just look at our Tiger Country Clubs
      psusnoop -
      For Smooth

and JB
      steelerfan -
      http://www.incgamers.com/Interviews/...he-game-part-1

steelerfan -
      First 13 Gameplay trailer...

jaymo76 -
      First 13 Gameplay trailer...