• NCAA Football 13 - Dynasty Mode Improvements

The NCAA Football 13 Dynasty Mode Improvements have been revealed. Continue on to read the official blogs, view the Dynasty Mode trailer video, see the full list of improvements, and more.

Game days come to life with mid-game updates featuring a new studio analyst, plus enhanced commentary from NCAA Football veterans Kirk Herbstreit and Brad Nessler. Recruiting now goes deeper than ever with the addition of dynamic grades and the ability to scout players. Plus, there are even more ways to interact with your Dynasty from the web.

Blogs:

Media Articles

NCAA Football 13 Dynasty Mode Improvements
    • Dynamic Pitches - Some pitches change on a weekly basis. (New pitch: Playing Style, based upon stats and on-field performance.)
    • Scouting - Actual ratings and overall revealed via scouting
    • Breaking into Top Ten - If other schools do not show interest, team can move onto board. Prospects start with fewer teams on board. Any team has a chance at every recruit.
    • Triple Threat Athletes
    • Phone Call
    • Search Improvements - Faster & optimized
    • New "My School" Screen - Showing current recruiting pitch ratings
    • Changes to Player Transfers - New reasons for leaving: Playing Time, Broken Promises, Coach Leaving, Homesick. Try and keep players from leaving by offering recruits. Broken promises can hurt Coach Prestige. Improved transfer logic and number of transfers.
    • Website Improvements: New Scouting on the Web, Complete offseason and preseason on the web
    • Online Dynasty Live Dashboard: Serverside ability to identify, address, and prevent Transfer Failed issues
    • ESPN Bottom Line Ticker (Priority Alerts, Upset Alerts, Final Alerts): Games happen in real-time, upcoming game preview
    • ESPN Studio Updates: Live updates in all four quarters, updates will show one to four games. Will highlight: General & Top 25, Upset alerts, BCS updates, big days for players. Hosted by ESPN's Rece Davis.
    • New game open will feature "live look-in" from Rece in-studio and then sending it out to Kirk and Brad.
    • Nessler will give 'game impact' discussion based on Studio Update from Rece

Archived Webcast:
    easports on livestream.com. Broadcast Live Free
    Comments 389 Comments
      gschwendt -
      Quote Originally Posted by beartide06 View Post
      Hmm that is interesting. It does worry me a bit. Did you let the developers know about that? User vs user games with scores like that does not surprise me because the user is going to generally be more intelligent. My fear is that the game will be too easy against the CPU. I surely hope that Heisman is a big step up from AA. Were you playing with default sliders by chance? Thanks for the replies by the way. I appreciate all of the CD guys efforts, and hard work working with EA. If any other CD guys have some input on these topics, they are welcome to chime in!
      Yeah, I definitely made them aware of it. It could have been any number of factors for me to see it but I made sure to let them know.

As for sliders, yes, everything was default. We really don't touch sliders much while we're down there because there are going to be a million things changing just in the week that we're there that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to tweak the sliders.
      Quote Originally Posted by drlw322 View Post
      Love the interaction between the community leaders and community on here. It's 1st class. Just a quick question that's kinda off base. If you can tell me, is the edit player screen the same or does it have different option this year. Such as different player editor letting you pick the player body type or secondary color for equipment.Also has the body proportion silder been fixed. Before it would be al messed up for differnt body types.
      The player editor is the same as far as I'm aware. As for the body proportion sliders, I know exactly what you're talking about but honestly I didn't really look at that. It's never been a big enough concern of mine to put any focus to it but at the same time I know how annoying it is when you're trying to edit a player.

Remind me if/when we receive early copies and I'll take a look at that. If it's unchanged, then I can be sure to let a dev know to look at it. I imagine they've probably seen it/heard of it but I don't imagine they spend much time editing players in-game rather they edit all players in a spreadsheet/database.
      JBHuskers -
      Quote Originally Posted by baseballplyrmvp View Post
      what if you have 3 qb's on your board? does the #3 qb know he's the third option or does he think he's the coach's first choice for the position?
      No. Order won't matter at all.
      JBHuskers -
      Quote Originally Posted by drlw322 View Post
      Love the interaction between the community leaders and community on here. It's 1st class.
      Thanks man!
      baseballplyrmvp -
      k. thanks jb. i'll have more questions tomorrow
      drlw322 -
      Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
      Yeah, I definitely made them aware of it. It could have been any number of factors for me to see it but I made sure to let them know.

As for sliders, yes, everything was default. We really don't touch sliders much while we're down there because there are going to be a million things changing just in the week that we're there that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to tweak the sliders.
      The player editor is the same as far as I'm aware. As for the body proportion sliders, I know exactly what you're talking about but honestly I didn't really look at that. It's never been a big enough concern of mine to put any focus to it but at the same time I know how annoying it is when you're trying to edit a player.

Remind me if/when we receive early copies and I'll take a look at that. If it's unchanged, then I can be sure to let a dev know to look at it. I imagine they've probably seen it/heard of it but I don't imagine they spend much time editing players in-game rather they edit all players in a spreadsheet/database.
      Thx for the quick respond, I'll def hit you up again when you get a early copy. I edited over 700 players last year to match their real life counter part. It was really annoying when I had to swap a RB and WR to match their. Ody proportion.

Here are some of my work. http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-progress.html
      will41 -
      where can i see a full replay of the dynasty show.
      Rudy -
      Quote Originally Posted by baseballplyrmvp View Post
      this wasnt that hard to begin with. you just had to pay attention to who you tried it on. in this site's 360 od, which we started as 1* coordinators, i've signed, i think, 5 5* recruits through 3 1/2 seasons, not to mention numerous 4*'s. even as the OC for 1* utah state, i was able to land a 5* and a couple 4*'s. there are a couple indicators that'll point out who's top 10 you'll be able to crack and who's you wont.
      There is no way you guys did that on Heisman recruiting. I've read a few guys now post that recruiting was too easy and didn't require strategy. The only way those complaints are legitimate are if you were on the highest recruiting difficulty imo. It's like complaining it's too easy to beat the cpu when you are playing on Varsity. When the difficulty is high for recruiting you really had to pick your spots and be careful with your time.

The default difficulty in recruiting was Varsity and it's always been too easy and unrealistic to recruit at that level (which was default before NCAA 11). If people wanted more difficulty and strategy in recruiting you just had to boost this up to at least All-American. I found Heisman recruiting with the top schools to be near perfect and even then it was a tiny bit too easy.
      Rudy -
      Tommy, any word on recruit's weight and if they will be completely random like in the past or tied into to ratings/tendencies?
      psusnoop -
      I like the addition of R. Davis. It will certainly add flow the game and experience that is for sure.

The scouting I like, I know recruiting can be cumbersome like JB (cdj) mentioned but as long as it gets tweaks there are some pluses here as well that certainly can't or shouldn't get overlooked. The ability to crack a recruits top 10 by adding him to you board. The ability to lose interest from a recruit for ignoring them is a plus as well. I like that you can scout out the players (though I can foresee many people just allowing the CPU to do this after a few advances), I for one will not be one of them. I'll enjoy a little more depth here.

You know I read a few posts of disappointment about the lack thereof but honestly with the amount of bugs, and flaws in 2012 I really just wanted those things cleaned up and a new coat of paint for 2013 and I was going to be happy. Provided things are cleaned up it looks like I'm going to be really pleased with 2013.
      souljahbill -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
      Tommy, any word on recruit's weight and if they will be completely random like in the past or tied into to ratings/tendencies?
      I think you already know the answer to this one.
      Deuce -
      Quote Originally Posted by psusnoop View Post
      You know I read a few posts of disappointment about the lack thereof but honestly with the amount of bugs, and flaws in 2012 I really just wanted those things cleaned up and a new coat of paint for 2013 and I was going to be happy. Provided things are cleaned up it looks like I'm going to be really pleased with 2013.

Could I ask a favor of one of the CD guys? Next time you are corresponding with one of the devs can you ask for a brief description of how TB teams will work with all the new presentation? Thx!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      psusnoop -
      Tommy, I think I saw that you summarized that the CPU recruiting logic is better this year in 2013. Did anyone (CD Group) just recruit a whole year out to see how the CPU recruiting was for the year? Just wondering how the CPU fared in battles against the user? What has bothered me is that on a good percentage of my board like at SJST in SBCOL I'll secure about 7-10 recruits by going after them hard initially and after I have a lead started I can go from 60 minutes full call to 30 minutes quick call and put zero effort in signing those 7-10 guys because the CPU refuses to recruit them. So my question is did you notice these patterns still holding true or was the CPU more aggressive in targeting these types of situations? As users we are always lurking, waiting, hoping for another user to short a good recruit one week to get a jump on them which can turn the tide in the recruitment of said player.
      cdj -
      Quote Originally Posted by will41 View Post
      where can i see a full replay of the dynasty show.
      There was an issue with the YouTube and LiveStream archives of the show. I expect we'll have full replays available later today and we will post a link at that point.

I like the addition of R. Davis. It will certainly add flow the game and experience that is for sure.
      Me too! (Who or what is "R. Davis?")
      texacotea -
      Any chance we get to see decommits? It happens all the time.
      psusnoop -
      You know, while small it would be nice to see during visits that you could see a group of recruits standing on the sideline. I think I would enjoy scoring a TD in front of that group of recruits, not that it will add anything really to the game, but seeing a group of recruits in school attire on the sideline seems simple enough to add in without taking to much away from the game. It can even look generic (not sure there would be any other way ) but something small. I wouldn't want it to misrepresent the true number of recruits visiting though. If I have 1 visiting then only show one but if I have 5 show me 5.

I don't know, just a thought.
      Paakaa10 -
      Since most of the conversation so far has trended towards the nuts-and-bolts of recruiting and Dynasty/Online Dynasty workings, I figured I would begin my impressions of the NCAA Football 13 Dynasty Improvements on the presentation (ooh, dirty word!) side of things, since--as many of you who have been here a while know--I do spend a lot of time thinking about and working with that side of the game when I'm given the opportunity to head down to EA Tiburon for the Community Events.

Playing in Dynasty/Online Dynasty with the true, full-featured ESPN BottomLine seems like such a simple addition but it adds so much to the atmosphere. I'm sure that everybody here spends Saturdays glued to ESPN during the college football season, and now that experience of watching one game but being able to keep tabs on the other action is going to be available in NCAA Football 13. During my time with the game at the latest Community Event, I was able to see numerous "Upset Alerts" trigger in the BottomLine, and all the logic seemed to be sound as far as that was concerned. I found that when an "Upset Alert" was triggering, very often the "Studio Update" would focus on that game over the course of my play time as well.

At first I wondered whether or not having that persistent BottomLine would end up distracting me from playing the game I was actually a part of, but--as mentioned in the paragraph above--I've become so conditioned to experiencing the broadcast that way, so it really doesn't distract from the game I was playing. Time will tell whether this becomes an issue for some people, but I really do believe that most of us are so used to it that it doesn't become a distraction. After all, players are trained not to watch the out-of-town scoreboard, right?

On the subject of "Studio Updates," which are going to be a cool addition to the game this year, it's great to have the broadcast presentation using even more of the ESPN design package and incorporating Rece Davis from the commentary side of it. During the time I spent with the build at the last Community Event, I would say that on average I saw 4 or 5 "Studio Updates" trigger per game in the Dynasty/Online Dynasty games; no idea whether or not that is the frequency that they'll occur in the final game or if it'll be more or less frequent than that. The logic was pretty good about following up on the same game multiple times as well, so if there was a real shoot-out or an "Upset Alert" then there was a good amount of attention spent on it over the course of the game. As Tommy mentioned previously in this thread, it would also appear that the "button through" timing has been tweaked on the back end so that it is more difficult to "cancel" out of a "Studio Update" than it was to get out of a "Game Track" last year; I think this piece of feedback/criticism was one thing that every Community Event guy brought up regarding presentation when we were at the studio for the first event in January, so the team knew that something had to be done about it.

One thing that was still being tweaked with "Studio Updates" at the last Community Event was how games are selected for feature during the game you're playing. Oftentimes the "Studio Updates" would track rivalry games, conference games, or Top 25 clashes, but there was an oddball as well; I was playing a game as Oklahoma State against Kansas State and I got multiple "Studio Updates" from a game between Tulsa and UTEP. From a geographical standpoint, that makes sense--Tulsa and Stillwater being only about an hour away from each other--but it was hard for me to believe that if Oklahoma State was on ESPN, the real-life "Studio Updates" would be so focused on a C-USA clash during a Big XII game. I did note it in my feedback to the developers and was told that it was still very much a process that they were working on. That was really the only "head-scratcher" I encountered during my time with the game, so it didn't sound like something that will be an issue come launch.

That's what I have for "story time" this morning, since I'm off to work. I'll hit the thread again tonight to see if anybody has any questions and to try and contribute some of my thoughts on the more "nuts-and-bolts" pieces of Dynasty/Online Dynasty for NCAA Football 13.
      psusnoop -
      Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
      Me too! (Who or what is "R. Davis?")
      The incorporation of Rece Davis in the game, those studio updates were really refreshing to see and hear. A big plus to the overall experience while playing your game.
      cdj -
      The incorporation of Rece Davis in the game, those studio updates were really refreshing to see and hear. A big plus to the overall experience while playing your game.
      My bad. Your next point was on Scouting, so I was trying to connect the two points. The Davis stuff is pretty interesting. At each event you could see/hear more being added, so we're just as anxious as everyone else to hear the final version on July 10.
      Kwizzy -
      Deuce, I just sent off your question with regards to Teambuilder teams so don't worry you aren't being ignored, I just don't have the slightest clue what the answer is to your question is so I have to check.

Some other info I just received back:
      -Now, when you search for a QB, you will only see recruits that are specifically QBs. You will no longer have to sort through tons of ATH prospects as well. ATHs have their own seperate query now. Obviously it'd be nice if ATHs that could play QB were included too but I personally think this is preffered to the clutter of having every ATH in the results.

-Also I inquired as to the different types of "double/triple threat ATHs" and the response was: There are several different types of Triple Threat ATH combinations, DE/LB, SS/WR/LB, etc
      Kwizzy -
      Deuce, directly from EA....

We’re going to go much more in depth about how the updates work with Teambuilder and in OD with user teams during our podcast tomorrow. We really want to discuss the design decisions that went into the feature so that there’s a better understanding of how the sims will work. We will make sure both these questions are addressed tomorrow.
      So make sure you catch the podcast tomorrow.