• Win a Copy of EA SPORTS UEFA EURO 2012

Thanks to our friends up at EA Canada, The Gaming Tailgate is giving away a copy of EA SPORTS UEFA EURO 2012 (a Digital Expansion Pack to FIFA Soccer 12) for both the PlayStation 3 and X-Box 360.

To be entered in the drawing for a copy of UEFA EURO 2012, respond to this posting with your console of choice, and your top feedback item(s) for FIFA 13. We will pick winners at random on Wednesday, May 9 at 9 PM CT. (UEFA EURO 2012 is an expansion pack, so you must own FIFA 12 in order to play & win.)

Additional FIFA news and feedback can be had by following FIFA Community Reps Rom and Rolla on Twitter or find them on Instagram by searching EASPORTSFIFA. Continue on to read JBHuskers' impressions of UEFA EURO 2012 and get entered into the drawing.

If you haven't kept up with FIFA news, here is the official release detailing the game features:

The only officially licensed videogame of the 2012 European Football Championship which begins June 8 in Poland and Ukraine, EA SPORTS UEFA EURO 2012 recreates all the drama and excitement of one of the largest and most-watched sporting events on the planet. Fans will be able to compete for glory as their favourite European country in the UEFA EURO 2012™ tournament against rival nations in the group stage, progress through the sudden victory knockout rounds, and ultimately compete for the chance to be crowned UEFA EURO 2012™ champion.

EA SPORTS and Coca-Cola Zero™ are teaming up to deliver an online service that will drive real-life story lines from the UEFA EURO 2012™ qualifying campaign and during the tournament into the game, enabling fans to relive dramatic moments with challenges based on real-life matches. Fans are able to submit matches and vote on the ones they want to replay by visiting the EA SPORTS football community at http://www.facebook.com/easportsfifa. Challenges that receive the most votes will be pushed into the game weekly between April 27 and July 5, 2012. Challenges will enable fans to earn experience points and level up their EA SPORTS Football Club profile.

UEFA EURO 2012 also features a new mode called Expedition that enables fans to build, manage and compete with a customized team against other European nations, crafting the perfect strategy for European domination. Fans will choose their favorite European player or FIFA Soccer 12 Virtual Pro to captain their customized team, win matches to earn better players from defeated nations, and then defeat the best nations to earn the best players in a campaign quest to defeat all 53 countries and complete the journey to conquer Europe.

If you play FIFA 12 on the PS3, make sure to check out the TGT FIFA League.

JBHuskers' Impressions of UEFA Euro 2012

On April 24th, EA SPORTS released an expansion pack for FIFA 12 with the UEFA EURO 2012 DLC. As opposed to a $39.99 standalone disc package, the UEFA EURO 2012 expansion pack comes as a downloadable package for only $19.99; which immediately gives the customer a great value. Just like past UEFA EURO or World Cup special editions of FIFA, UEFA EURO 2012 feels like it's own separate game once you get into it from the main menu. In the video below, you'll see a little presentation prior to UEFA EURO loading up. The interface is skinned differently, but is very similar to the regular FIFA 12 game with the horizontal bar going left or right to select which game mode you want to play. Additionally, the EA SPORTS Football Club leveling system carries over seamlessly into UEFA EURO 2012. There are five main components to this DLC, Online UEFA EURO 2012, Kick-Off (exhibition match), Expedition, UEFA EURO 2012, and Challenges.

For those familiar with past UEFA EURO and World Cup games, you won't be surprised with the layout and format of the tournament setup. In the setup for both the online and offline UEFA EURO 2012 tournaments, you are starting in the group stage. For the online tournament, your group is filled with unknowns until you start playing online matches. Your first three online matches will determine the four nations in your group. In the offline tournament the teams and groups will already be set up for you, but it is not set up exactly how the groups will be shaping up for the tournament. Thankfully, you can freely edit the groups, and even the teams as you wish, so you can make your own set of 16 to compete, or go along with the real-life setup.

There are a couple of drawbacks with the offline and online UEFA EURO tournament. First off, the qualifying stages are missing from play as you jump right into group play at 16 teams. For the real-life UEFA EURO 2012, there were 51 teams competing for 14 spots (as 2 spots were held by the host countries of Poland and the Ukraine). It would have been nice to be able to give the complete experience from start to finish within the tournament. There are over 50 nations to choose from in this DLC; however, not all of the nations are licensed, so you will not see authentic kits and rosters for some teams. This is an understandable omission as getting over 50 countries to comply is quite an undertaking.

A couple of usual FIFA standards show up in this DLC pack as well with Kick-Off and Challenges. Kick-Off allows you to play solo or against a friend on the same console in a match with the UEFA EURO nations. I would have liked to seen the ability to have online play on Kick-Off where friends can possibly do a version of the tournament on paper (so to speak). Challenges are no stranger to FIFA games, and they provide some great real-life situations for you to overcome. For this DLC, you'll have a current challenge to overcome, and a certain time frame to complete it. Currently there is the Norway/Denmark match from March 26th where you have little time remaining to secure a win for the Danes. At press time, this challenge has 44 hours and 30 minutes remaining to play. As the UEFA EURO tournament progresses, more real-life situations will be available. In my opinion, it's always great to try to repeat or rewrite history, and these challenges enable you to do so.

A completely brand new game mode makes it's way into this DLC pack, and it's a great one. This mode is called Expedition. For those who think they have done everything there is to do on FIFA and are just waiting for FIFA 13 to come out, you might want to give this game mode a try. Expedition mode gives you the ability to create a fantasy roster of players for the custom team that you make. That fantasy roster is MILES away from coming to fruition though as you will just start with your created player (if you have one) and a roster made up of all reserve players. Your goal is to conquer all of the European nations one by one, and taking a player from their team along the way. Just like in FIFA Street, you are able to take a reserve player the first time you beat a particular nation, a substitute player the second time you beat that same nation, and a starting 11 player the third time you beat the nation.

Each time you gain a win against a nation, you earn a mosaic piece. To complete the mosaic, you will need to beat ALL 53 nations 3 times each. If you were looking for more to do with FIFA, this will definitely give you more to do. As you beat nations, roads to the defeated country will open up on the map (like the one shown in the picture above). The more roads you have open, the more options you have in choosing your next match, but be careful. If you lose a match, you could destroy a road to that country, and you'll have to work to rebuild that road.

Overall, you cannot go wrong with the UEFA EURO 2012 DLC pack for FIFA 12 at half the price a typical tournament pack would cost. There is a TON to do, especially with Expedition. If you're a trophy or achievement hunter, you will have to complete the mosaic in order to get one of the achievements, or in other words get a total of 159 wins. Competing with other FIFA players online in this tournament format is always fun, and sometimes can be very challenging, and on top of all of that, you get to also relive moments as they happen in this year's tournament. I am greatly pleased with the entire package that this DLC provides, but I must let you go now as I need to continue to build that mosaic in Expedition!

Please check out the video below for the opening welcome screen for the DLC, along with a menu run through, and a full match between Spain and Italy.

Comments 12 Comments
      CLW -
      Good stuff CDJ. I'm really enjoying FIFA 12 and the Euro expansion pack. I haven't messed with the Expedition mode yet but I'll probably get around to it at some point.

As far as suggestions for 13 I personally think:

1. the game needs to be toned down a bit on offense.

In my opinion the series is too much "wide open gameplay" and goals come too easily (at least on the default settings).

2. I also find the one on one dribble moves to be very difficult to pull off.

However, people that are really good on the sticks that do pull them off make defenders look too silly too frequently.

3. I'd like to see officials miss offside calls.

Right now the system is perfect and although officials get the call right most of the time there are those misses that can completely change a game.

4. I'd like to have a "career" mode as a National Team Manager

Personally, I've always enjoyed playing with National teams more than club soccer. I'd like for them to add a Career mode as a National Team manager with the ability to lose my job etc... The mode would obviously revolve around friendlies and qualifying for the various National Tournys: World Cup, Euro, Gold Cup, etc.... Of course in order to do this more National Clubs would need to be added to the game over the current list. Perhaps it could even be intergrated with the regular Career mode where you will be offered the national team spot based on your club's performance.

Along with this I would like to see the World Cup, Euro, etc... tourny's integrated into the regular game. I know EA has generally stayed away from this in the past but I think it would add allot if every 4th year in your career there would be a World Cup to play/coach in.
      SmoothPancakes -
      Pretty cool here. Gotta love stuff like this. I don't own FIFA 12 (still haven't gotten around to buying it, and at this point, may as well wait until FIFA 13 now) so I'm not going to enter, but cool deal here for people who want the Euro expansion pack but never bought it or didn't/don't have the money to get it right now.
      jaymo76 -
      I have been tempted to pick this up but when I heard 20+ of the teams are non-licensed, that put me off a little bit. However, I will probably end up picking it up just because FIFA 12 is such a solid game and I suspect whether licensed or not, the expansion pack will be a solid offering.

The one area though that needs to be improved for FIFA 13... the amount of fouls and yellow/red cards. Right now they are almost non-existent. I would like to see in the 5-7 range per game.
      steelerfan -
      I already have Euro 2012, so I can't enter (good luck, jaymo!).

I agree with you, jaymo, about the lack of fouls and bookings. As a matter of fact that is one of the areas I harped on in the feedback I've sent to the FIFA team (I've been in touch with them for a couple of months now). I asked them to implement a Foul slider as well. Hopefully, if enough guys rally behind this, it will be a priority for 13.

CLW, I agree about the game being wide open, but only online. I have a new set of sliders I've worked on since the release of Euro 2012 that I feel are really good for guys of our, relatively, average skill level. I may post them in the FIFA 12 thread at some point. If you want them sooner, let me know (I'm not to sure if you play offline much).

Anyway, I want to encourage anyone who plays FIFA to leave some feedback here. We have their attention, and they want to gather more feedback from North American FIFA players. Beside that, you could win this DLC.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
      steelerfan -
      By the way, nice job with the article (as always), cdj. Good work on the impressions, too, JB. I pretty well concur with your assessment of this expansion pack, but I haven't dug into Expedition Mode too much yet.

CLW -
      Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
      I already have Euro 2012, so I can't enter (good luck, jaymo!).

I agree with you, jaymo, about the lack of fouls and bookings. As a matter of fact that is one of the areas I harped on in the feedback I've sent to the FIFA team (I've been in touch with them for a couple of months now). I asked them to implement a Foul slider as well. Hopefully, if enough guys rally behind this, it will be a priority for 13.

CLW, I agree about the game being wide open, but only online. I have a new set of sliders I've worked on since the release of Euro 2012 that I feel are really good for guys of our, relatively, average skill level. I may post them in the FIFA 12 thread at some point. If you want them sooner, let me know (I'm not to sure if you play offline much).

Anyway, I want to encourage anyone who plays FIFA to leave some feedback here. We have their attention, and they want to gather more feedback from North American FIFA players. Beside that, you could win this DLC.

Yeah PM me your set of sliders. I have predominately been playing you guys online as I just haven't found a club team I can really get behind to try to build up in career mode (thus my wish for a National Team career mode).
      steelerfan -
      Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
      Yeah PM me your set of sliders. I have predominately been playing you guys online as I just haven't found a club team I can really get behind to try to build up in career mode (thus my wish for a National Team career mode).
      If I'm going to be motivated enough to PM them, I may as well just post them. If I haven't posted them by time you're ready for them, text me and I'll call you and give them to you over the phone.

JBHuskers -
      By the way, nice job with the article (as always), cdj. Good work on the impressions, too, JB. I pretty well concur with your assessment of this expansion pack, but I haven't dug into Expedition Mode too much yet.

Thanks man!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
      steelerfan -

steelerfan -
      If I'm going to be motivated enough to PM them, I may as well just post them. If I haven't posted them by time you're ready for them, text me and I'll call you and give them to you over the phone.

Posted them in the FIFA 12 Thread.

hendu -
      What I'd suggest EA adds to Fifa 13 is something more to help get new players/moreso new fans of the game into understanding the rules and intricacies of the sport. As someone who bought 12 as my first soccer game, and a person that wasn't much of a fan of the game beforehand, it took me a minute to get up to speed with everything, despite the tutorials. And with all the teams available as well, a primer a way for new players to get to know those teams would be nice as well. With the game being the biggest sports game on the market already, what better to get even bigger than roping in even more non-soccer fans!Console-360
      cdj -
      jaymo and hendu - Check your PMs shortly for your EA SPORTS UEFA EURO 2012 codes! Congrats and enjoy!

Keep the feedback coming.