• GTTV: NCAA Football 13 Gameplay Reveal

On last night's GTTV, the show provided the first gameplay information for NCAA Football 13. With a combination of game footage and narration from gameplay designer (and former Florida QB) Larry Richart, first word of improvements to the passing game were revealed.

- There was essentially one type of pass in past, now 25 different trajectories.
    - This includes the ability to pass over linebackers and users can lead the pass with the left stick for added control
    - There are 20+ new drop backs, based upon proper dropbacks depending on the routes in the play.
    - QBs can throw on run without setting up, but throws are more difficult across their body.
    - Icons dim at snap, lit up when receivers able to make the catch.
    - No more psychic defensive backs.
    - Both offensive and defensive players "have to see it before they can make a play on the ball."

Check out the clip here on the GameTrailers website or continue on after the link to see the embedded video.

The NCAA Football 13 footage is in the second segment and begins at the 11:54 mark.

EA SPORTS plans to release complete gameplay details and information on Tuesday, April 17.
    Comments 97 Comments
      beartide06 -
      I liked a lot of different things, but one thing that worries me is when he said WR's will be able to catch the ball when the icon is lit up. Does this mean that WR's cannot make catches at all unless the icon is lit up? To me, that could pose as a problem. QB's in real life throw into double coverage, or more, and WR's are able to make some amazing catches. Also, does this mean you can only throw the ball to that WR with the icon lit up? With blitzes this could be very difficult. There are a lot of questions I have. Lol.On a brighter note, no psychic DB's and there is ball trajectory!!!
      xMrHitStickx904 -
      I'm interested on how this affects user catching. hope it doesn't handicap those with good user skills.
      XxDaMole00xX -
      Ball Trajectory will make a lot of fans happy and having more control on the passing will drop the interception rate we've seen in years past. Not having to set up before throwing on the run is a big upgrade for such a simple change. I especially hope this transitions into Madden. Beartide06- I think the icon lights up to let you know the WR is able to make the catch. You should still be able to throw it whenever to any WR.Finally, the "have to see it before they can make a play on the ball" was better known as "Procedural Awarness" back in Madden 09. Now im 100% confident its a new AI system where they make logical plays for the ball once they make eye contact.
      beartide06 -
      Yeah I figure that is the case, but my main concern is my first question. If the WR is only able to make a catch when his icon is lit up, does this mean he cannot make a catch at all, no matter what unless his icon is lit up? Or does this mean he cannot not even try to catch a pass? There are just so many variables to consider. I am looking forward to an in depth look at game play Tuesday to clarify some of these questions.
      Cipher 8 -
      Well they addressed my two biggest issues with the game, pre-ordering now.
      Cipher 8 -
      Now the only thing I hope for is the ability to hot route a defensive back if you will, by choosing inside or outside shade on a receiver before the snap and predicting or rather guessing which type of routes they'll run and having an advantage or disadvantage against it based on what you choose, if you choose it. Being able to not choose it by default but also being able to choose it when you know they tend to run slants on 3rd down, for example.
      illwill10 -
      I think Awareness will play a big role in passing game. I think it will affects the trajectories and the WR/DBs looking back.
      It will be a frustrating/realistic situation if you throw to your open young WR and he didnt look for the ball.
      beartide06 -
      Quote Originally Posted by illwill10 View Post
      I think Awareness will play a big role in passing game. I think it will affects the trajectories and the WR/DBs looking back.
      It will be a frustrating/realistic situation if you throw to your open young WR and he didnt look for the ball.
      Just got off the phone with a friend who mentioned this. Maybe awareness depends on when the icon comes on. Maybe a freshman's icon will not turn on until he is basically wide open, but a senior's may come on pretty quickly, for example. Or maybe if you have an outstanding WR his icon will turn on in double or triple coverage because he is more likely to make a spectacular catch. Speaking of spectacular catch, maybe that also ties into when they can make certain catches.
      beartide06 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Cipher 8 View Post
      Now the only thing I hope for is the ability to hot route a defensive back if you will, by choosing inside or outside shade on a receiver before the snap and predicting or rather guessing which type of routes they'll run and having an advantage or disadvantage against it based on what you choose, if you choose it. Being able to not choose it by default but also being able to choose it when you know they tend to run slants on 3rd down, for example.
      In a situation like this, I wish EA would implement WR choice routes on the fly. For example, a play is run where the WR is designed to run a slant route. Well, your corner plays the inside position to take that away. Well, when the WR starts to run his slant and sees the CB playing inside, it would be nice to see that WR adjust and run a slant-n-go to beat the CB. This would be a great addition for playbooks such as the Run and Shoot. Awareness could also play a factor in a WR making such an adjustment. Basically, WR's would be making post-snap hot routes. This would add such a nice flavor to the game.
      JerzeyReign -
      Didn't get to see it but from the responses I'm reading on different forums, NCAA seems to have turned the corner a bit. I'm still subduing my passion due to the game playing alright last year before patches destroyed it. This looks good though.
      OneEighth -
      The WR icons represent what WRs do in real life. A specific part of their route is dedicated to getting open and will not be looking for a pass until the reach a certain point of the route. These icons will light up representing the fact they will be looking for the pass.
      WolverineJay -
      I like the video it shows that EA Tiburon is at least listening to our complaints of NCAA (Psychic Db's, Superman Lb's, Low Pass Trajectory, Awareness under-utilized, Juke moves worthless in 12'). All of those have been touched on in the video. This has me more interested in Tuesday.

Now what about OL/DL interaction, special teams, and penalties to name a few more big legacy issues.
      beartide06 -
      Quote Originally Posted by OneEighth View Post
      The WR icons represent what WRs do in real life. A specific part of their route is dedicated to getting open and will not be looking for a pass until the reach a certain point of the route. These icons will light up representing the fact they will be looking for the pass.
      Ahhhh I think I understand. So the icon lights up when the WR is able to actually SEE the ball. This was also another option I discussed with someone. If the icon lights up, he can see the ball and therefore make a play on it. When it is not lit up he is not ready for the pass and it will most likely end up incomplete, dropped, or picked off. Now, how well this works is what I want to see in action. I wonder if you will be able to throw it before the WR is ready, but by the time the ball gets there he is turning around ready for the ball. Kind of how a back shoulder fade would works.
      I OU a Beatn -
      The only thing that I really noticed was on the only regular view shot on the deep ball where the DB took an uber lame angle and basically let the WR catch the ball. I hope that's just because they were playing on Freshman difficulty. Kind of hard to guage how the pass rush is from the video, but that's my number one area since they've finally apparently taken care of trajectory and being able to control the lead of the WR.
      JeffHCross -
      All I cared about was seeing Larry Legend. Seriously though, the list of improvements is sounding good.
      JeffHCross -
      On my PS3, so I can't test, but this may be a direct link to the episode or segment. http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/...rs-tv/151?ch=3
      JerzeyReign -
      psuexv -
      I will really be interested to see how this actually works. defensive players "have to see it before they can make a play on the ball hopefully it's not just for the DB that is on your WR, but also eliminates the other DBs that were manned up on other WRs and will peel off magically.

Are you guys allowed to talk about any of this or do we need to wait until Tuesday?
      cdj -
      Tuesday. Keep the questions coming though. If EA SPORTS doesn't answer them on Tuesday in blogs/media, either we will try and answer or we will try and get them answered straight from the team.