• NCAA Football 13 and Former Heisman Winners

Since February 1st, six different pictures have surfaced on twitter relating NCAA Football 13 and former Heisman winners. Players including Eddie George, Barry Sanders, Marcus Allen, Mark Ingram, and Archie Griffin have come up with either pictures of themselves with the Heisman Trophy or in photos that appear to be taken on a set. The latest (seen above) is of Griffin sitting in front of an NCAA Football 13 backdrop.

These pictures come from the Twitter accounts of Sanders and also Sandy Sandoval, Senior Director of Athlete Relations for EA Sports. Of course it's not uncommon to see photos of Sandoval with various athletes given his job duties, however these images have surfaced with descriptions tying them to NCAA Football 13.

Continue after the break to see the images as well as links to the tweets they were pulled from and let us know what you think this might mean for the next version of NCAA Football.

@eddiegeorge27. Yes sir.
    https://twitter.com/#!/sandysandovalEA/status/164742504728625154/photo/1

On set with 95 Heisman winner Eddie George. EA Sports NCAA College football 13'
    https://twitter.com/#!/sandysandoval...960512/photo/1

Me and the @HeismanTrophy at the EA NCAA 2013 shoot - never get tired of that pose!!!
    https://twitter.com/#!/BarrySanders/status/166626439649705986/photo/1

Me and @MarcusAllenHOF at the EA NCAA 2013 shoot...
    https://twitter.com/#!/BarrySanders/status/166625804061655040/photo/1

At EA Sports NCAA 2013 shoot with @Mark_Ingram28 and @sandysandovalEA
    https://twitter.com/#!/BarrySanders/status/166625569465827329/photo/1

On set with the greatest Heisman winner of all time, Archie Griffin. The only 2 time Heisman winner.
    https://twitter.com/#!/sandysandoval...012352/photo/1

With my boyhood idle. From Eastside San Jose. My hood! Should be in Pro Football HOF. #16 Jim Plunkett
    https://twitter.com/#!/sandysandoval...691520/photo/1

I'm in San Diego doing a shoot for EASports with some other Heisman guys. (no image)
    https://twitter.com/#!/DesmondHoward...98311914049536
    Comments 38 Comments
      steelerfan -
      Here you go, ram. Print and have fun!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk
      ram29jackson -
      Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
      Here you go, ram. Print and have fun!

just because youre not creative as me, thats no reason to be jealous
      jaymo76 -
      That is pretty damn funny! Well played Steeler.
      SmoothPancakes -
      Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
      That is pretty damn funny! Well played Steeler.
      Agreed.
      JeffHCross -
      What ram miserably fails to realize is that NHL and FIFA are globally popular. Just because you don't use teams from Sweden or Korea or wherever, you have to realize that there are people in those countries who do.
      I'm still kind-of reeling from my single experience of NHL with Online Team Play and hearing our opponents talk in a language I didn't recognize.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
      Well, while I know there are people out there like ram who do want historical teams, nationally, there is no doubt that FCS schools are more wanted by people than historical teams. Both have something they can bring to the game, but FCS schools are by far more needed than historical teams at this point and time in the game and series.
      I agree ... with a caveat. If FCS teams weren't integrated into Dynasty and they were solely introducing teams for Play Now or Online usage, then I think Historical teams have more value. I think there are plenty of guys that have the nostalgic kick like I do. Though, unlike Ram, it's not the teams from the 30s that I'd be looking for. But yes, if you're talking about integrating with Dynasty mode, obviously FCS is a higher request.

As for "why does FIFA and NHL have all these teams but NCAA can't" and that discussion ... one possible (and simple) explanation is roster sizes. I don't know that I believe that's necessarily the real reason, but it's certainly a potential one. 70 man rosters are a big memory footprint.
      SmoothPancakes -
      Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
      I'm still kind-of reeling from my single experience of NHL with Online Team Play and hearing our opponents talk in a language I didn't recognize.

I agree ... with a caveat. If FCS teams weren't integrated into Dynasty and they were solely introducing teams for Play Now or Online usage, then I think Historical teams have more value. I think there are plenty of guys that have the nostalgic kick like I do. Though, unlike Ram, it's not the teams from the 30s that I'd be looking for. But yes, if you're talking about integrating with Dynasty mode, obviously FCS is a higher request.

As for "why does FIFA and NHL have all these teams but NCAA can't" and that discussion ... one possible (and simple) explanation is roster sizes. I don't know that I believe that's necessarily the real reason, but it's certainly a potential one. 70 man rosters are a big memory footprint.
      Yeah, I mean historical teams definitely have their own group of people who want them and would definitely use them. But when I speak of FCS teams, as you said, I'm personally speaking from a dynasty aspect. While they may get some use in Play Now, dynasty definitely would be the area that they would get the most use. Both FCS and historical teams deserve their places on the game, but for me personally, FCS teams, from a dynasty aspect, need to be in the most.

And I'd have to agree with that. Hockey and soccer teams only have so many players on their rosters. Hockey, if I remember right, is a max of 23 players on a team. Soccer, off the top of my head I don't know if there are any set limits (at least world wide) but there's only 16 players on a roster for a match with the 11 on the pitch and 5 on the bench. So comparing hockey and soccer (with limited rosters) to NCAA, with 70 players on a team, it's easy to see why the NHL and FIFA series have so many teams, where as we only have the 120 from the FBS right now. Now, they have managed FBS and FCS back in the old days, so it is possible. The exact reason why haven't seen FCS teams return, who knows. But memory/disc space could indeed be part of the issue.
      baseballplyrmvp -
      The exact reason why haven't seen FCS teams return, who knows. But roster space could indeed be part of the issue.
      then someone slap one of the ea guys upside the head and tell em to make the fcs teams available by dlc. it doesnt have to be premium, but it could work exactly like their online pass- have a code within the game box that lets you download em for free. otherwise, $5 for all of em.
      steelerfan -
      Actually, on FIFA, the roster limit is 42 (not including Youth Squads).

And, for the record, the Match Day rosters are set at 18, not 16.

SmoothPancakes -
      Actually, on FIFA, the roster limit is 42 (not including Youth Squads).

And, for the record, the Match Day rosters are set at 18, not 16.

There we go, got the official record from himself. While I like and follow soccer, there is still much about it that I don't know, so thanks for setting the numbers straight.
      steelerfan -
      There we go, got the official record from himself. While I like and follow soccer, there is still much about it that I don't know, so thanks for setting the numbers straight.
      My point is, there must be around 2x the players in FIFA as there are in NCAA. FIFA has 29 leagues which range from 10 to 24 teams. Even if we say average league has 14 teams, that's 406 teams. Add in 12 "Rest of the World" teams, and 42 national squads, and you're at 460.

Conservatively, if we say each club has 28 players, that's 12,880 players.

NCAA would have around 8400, to compare.

Now add in 460 teams worth of uniforms (2 or 3 per team), and it would look like NCAA is coming up way short.

However, NCAA has approximately 3x the number of stadiums that FIFA has and, I believe, that is the big space eater (thanks, again, M$ for using DVD).

Edit: there appears to be 510 league teams in FIFA 12 which makes the grand total in the neighborhood of 564.

ryby6969 -
      The problem with historical teams is they will be basically useless if the historic offense's are not also included. Who the hell would want to use a team from the 30's and not have the Wing-T or another of the comparable offenses? I would feel dirty using a spread offense with some of the historic teams people would want to see.
      ram29jackson -
      Quote Originally Posted by ryby6969 View Post
      The problem with historical teams is they will be basically useless if the historic offense's are not also included. Who the hell would want to use a team from the 30's and not have the Wing-T or another of the comparable offenses? I would feel dirty using a spread offense with some of the historic teams people would want to see.
      you cant have it all LOL, just use a alot of pro sets and enjoy the artwork of the players..i didnt really push 1930s anyway..at least give me some 50s through 70s stuff..but the fact is,they did try it on old gen and it wasnt bad..except that the players were cut out bigger it appeared for some reason ?

but if the design art guys can challenge themselves with leather helmets etc,that would be cool
      JeffHCross -
      However, NCAA has approximately 3x the number of stadiums that FIFA has and, I believe, that is the big space eater (thanks, again, M$ for using DVD).
      FWIW, when I was talking about memory, I was not talking about disc size. I was talking about the roster database (which, depending on the implementation, may be "always" stored in RAM memory). That may or may not be a factor, I was just throwing it out there as a possibility.

But when I speak of FCS teams, as you said, I'm personally speaking from a dynasty aspect. While they may get some use in Play Now, dynasty definitely would be the area that they would get the most use.
      Yep, I knew you were. And then, in my opinion, it becomes a question of investment vs reward. FCS isn't likely to be a game seller, even for current FCS students (but you never know). So then it becomes a question of how much Dynasty re-tooling would be necessary for, potentially, little return.

But, of course, this is all just a theoretical exercise
      Treadstone6700 -
      If this is for some 'greatest games' type mode like NBA 2K I would not be pleased. 2K was able to expand into things like that because their gameplay was tight and their association mode was great.NCAA needs to tighten up the gameplay and revamp dynasty/recruiting before wasting space on historical teams/players/etc imo
      JeffHCross -
      Keep in mind guys, the only reason I mentioned historical teams is that is because that's what I would want it to mean. But, as you all know, I'm just a major nostalgic nut when it comes to college football. Don't take it to be a prediction of any kind
      xMrHitStickx904 -
      As far as that goes, I think FCS teams can be implemented properly. They were on PS2 & PSP even though graphically, the game wasn't as advanced as it is now. That could have something to with it too. But at any rate, I rather have FCS teams in '13 over historical teams.
      JeffHCross -
      Quote Originally Posted by xMrHitStickx904 View Post
      As far as that goes, I think FCS teams can be implemented properly. They were on PS2 & PSP
      From what I could tell, the rosters on the PS2 weren't updated after the teams were initially introduced. I know Appalachian State was off, which was particularly annoying during their championship run.
      Escobar -
      Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
      From what I could tell, the rosters on the PS2 weren't updated after the teams were initially introduced. I know Appalachian State was off, which was particularly annoying during their championship run.
      They were always a year or two behind.