• Omaha.com: Ex-Husker QB Added to Games; Will Be Featured Official

Courtesy The Omaha World-Herald: In the future, when football fans play the Madden NFL or NCAA Football video game series, they'll see the face and hear the voice of referee Clete Blakeman.

It's the first time an identifiable referee has been chosen for either of the popular EA Sports series, which have been played by millions on PlayStation and Xbox.

Creative Director Jeff Luhr said it isn't certain yet whether Blakeman will be featured in next year's games, which will be Madden 13 or NCAA Football 13. Both come out in the summer of 2012.

"It will definitely will be in (the games) at some point," Luhr said. "Both are considerations."

Luhr is the creative director for NCAA Football, as well as creative director for the Core Football Gameplay team, which serves NCAA Football and Madden NFL.

Luhr said Blakeman traveled to Orlando where he did some motion capture work and photo shoots.

With Blakeman having recently been an official with the Big 12 and currently an NFL official, his face and voice will be familiar to both college and pro fans, Luhr said.

Click here to view the full Omaha World-Herald article.
    Comments 60 Comments
      DariusLock -
      Cool, maybe the ref animations will be better.
      jaymo76 -
      If they have brought the guy in and did photos/motion capturing, etc... why wouldn't he be in NCAA and Madden 13? This doesn't seem like a huge project that would take two years does it?
      JeffHCross -
      Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
      If they have brought the guy in and did photos/motion capturing, etc... why wouldn't he be in NCAA and Madden 13? This doesn't seem like a huge project does that would take two years does it?
      This, itself, wouldn't take two years. But sometimes something of a lower priority can take multiple years to appear in the title because other things take the resources it needs. So it could take two years worth of development for them to have the total time necessary.

The other consideration is that you will practically never see promises from a development team at this point in their cycle
      JBHuskers -
      That's cool. Clete is from Omaha. He's risen up the ranks to ref really quick in the NFL. Been a in the league only five years, but two or three of them he's been the head ref.

Now for NFL Blitz they need an over steroided Ed Hochuli.
      Roy38 -
      Pig Bomb -
      one more example of EA spending resources on something that doesn't help fix the long list of broken crap in their game
      I OU a Beatn -
      Quote Originally Posted by Pig Bomb View Post
      one more example of EA spending resources on something that doesn't help fix the long list of broken crap in their game
      My thoughts exactly.
      cdj -
      Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
      If they have brought the guy in and did photos/motion capturing, etc... why wouldn't he be in NCAA and Madden 13? This doesn't seem like a huge project that would take two years does it?
      At the least they'll swap in the scanned head and replace existing referee lines with the ones Blakeman recorded so I don't think it would be a huge undertaking, but nothing is a 10-minute fix. Just my guess, but it'll probably boil down to whatever the team decides to do in all aspects of Presentation. If there's enough time after whatever/any big ticket items are added, they'll probably have the Presentation team add it in. If not, then next year. That is how I perceive the comments within the article.

A small detail, but IRL officials are wearing new 'uniforms' this season and they aren't in the game. If added, that could be part of the work here as well.
      JBHuskers -
      Again, it's not pulling away gamplay guys to do this....people STILL don't realize that. There are many teams within the game's development.
      I OU a Beatn -
      Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
      Again, it's not pulling away gamplay guys to do this....people STILL don't realize that. There are many teams within the game's development.
      I think most of us realize that, but that doesn't mean it's not wasting resources. I'm positive Blakeman isn't doing the work for free. I'd imagine NCAA doesn't have the biggest budget in the world, and any money wasted on petty stuff like that is just that - a huge waste in my eyes.
      JBHuskers -
      Again it's a referee so they are probably not spending a big chunk of the budget on it either.
      I OU a Beatn -
      Regardless, it's still a waste. Until they fix the fundamental flaws that have plagued this game for years and years, every thing they do is a waste to me. All the new features in the world do no matter unless it plays like an actual football game.
      steelerfan -
      Quote Originally Posted by I OU a Beatn View Post
      unless it plays like an actual football game.
      That you can play in 40 minutes or less.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk
      bdoughty -
      Boo, Hiss, waste of time money and space. Get the Mo-Cap guys some C++ from Dummies books, STAT!

Spoiler: show
      JBHuskers -
      Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
      Boo, Hiss, waste of time money and space. Get the Mo-Cap guys some C++ from Dummies books, STAT!

Spoiler: show
      Exactly people are acting like this is a major feature that is taking up half the budget
      I OU a Beatn -
      No, like I said, it's a complete waste of resources when their game doesn't function anywhere remotely like it should. I realize most of you live by the "well, it'll have bugs, so we'll just deal with it," but I don't. For six years now, I've played the game for barely a month and given up because of the enormous amount of flaws that have carried over year to year and have seemingly gotten worse(except for this year's game, which was actually improved in some areas). This is coming from someone who played the game year 'round from '04-'07 and would only stop playing when the new version came out.

Until EA proves they can begin fixing issues that have plagued this game(if you want the list of huge issues again, just let me know), beefing up the refs in the game is a huge waste of resources. I said about how cannons were a waste of resources last year, much like Season Showdown was a huge waste whenever that was implemented, and I got much of the same flak and was assured that NCAA '12 was a great game. Well, I guess we see how that turned out. The same exact issues that plagued the previous games were still there in plain sight(except for the pass defense, which was actually mildly improved), and a few more issues sprouted up.

Correcting issues with the actual gameplay > refs, season showdown, cannons, etc...
      JBHuskers -
      But they're two completely separate entities....complaining they're working on apples but not fixing oranges makes no sense...kinda like that analogy
      I OU a Beatn -
      You guys said it yourselves. The NCAA Football franchise under EA doesn't have a large budget. Any amount of money spent on stupid shit like this is a complete waste of resources when the core game play is broken. I would think their limited budget would be better served on fixing the game play rather than giving us realistic referee animations or whatever.
      JBHuskers -
      You guys said it yourselves. The NCAA Football franchise under EA doesn't have a large budget. Any amount of money spent on stupid shit like this is a complete waste of resources when the core game play is broken. I would think their limited budget would be better served on fixing the game play rather than giving us realistic referee animations or whatever.
      But when you complain about a local article about a ref going in to do mocap work, you're acting like the budget is $100 for the year and it's all blown now. Trust me, the budget may be small compared to Madden, but doing this is not really putting a strain on anything else in the development of the game. On top of that, how do you know this came out of the NCAA budget? This is a shared feature most likely. That's why complaining about this is asinine.
      bdoughty -
      Until EA proves they can begin fixing issues that have plagued this game(if you want the list of huge issues again, just let me know), beefing up the refs in the game is a huge waste of resources. I said about how cannons were a waste of resources last year, much like Season Showdown was a huge waste whenever that was implemented, and I got much of the same flak and was assured that NCAA '12 was a great game. Well, I guess we see how that turned out. The same exact issues that plagued the previous games were still there in plain sight(except for the pass defense, which was actually mildly improved), and a few more issues sprouted up.

Correcting issues with the actual gameplay > refs, season showdown, cannons, etc...
      First, while some of these features are a waste to YOU, that does not make them a waste to everyone else who purchases the game. Secondly, you have absolutely no idea how a software company runs. Instead of typing a ton of stuff I am just going to link you to this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_g...elopment#Roles

Now only a small segment of that development team would be in charge of fixing gameplay. While you want a priority on fixing gameplay you just can't go willy nilly and axe other departments to beef up on one area. Eventually you will need those other departments and having to replace and rehire employees is not exactly a smart business move. There are issues in the game, nobody would tell you otherwise, that said there are still plenty of people that enjoy NCAA 12, faults and all. What we can hope is that the team learns from their mistakes and makes a better NCAA 13. If they do not meet you expectations, you can save $59.99 and play something else.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
      But when you complain about a local article about a ref going in to do mocap work, you're acting like the budget is $100 for the year and it's all blown now. Trust me, the budget may be small compared to Madden, but doing this is not really putting a strain on anything else in the development of the game. On top of that, how do you know this came out of the NCAA budget? This is a shared feature most likely. That's why complaining about this is asinine.
      Exactly, plus if you have a motion capture studio, one would imagine you are going to use it from time to time. Just a case of people complaining about something to complain about.