• Kotaku: Chaotic Conference Calls Scramble College Football’s Video Game, Too

Kotaku's Owen Good recently caught up with NCAA Football Producer Ben Haumiller to discuss how all of the announced, rumored and possible conference realignment in real life can cause design issues and chaos before the release of NCAA Football 13.

Continue on to read some of the highlights from the article.

Whether a conference swells to 22 or even 14, as the SEC will next year, the uncertainty in eight major conference memberships has Haumiller's development team building several contingency plans, and facing a nightmare scenario in which the game released in July 2012 doesn't reflect the reality coming in August.

"We're going to go as late as we can possibly go to be correct," Haumiller said, acknowledging that uncertainties in the departures of Pitt, Syracuse, and West Virginia from the Big East could be resolved after the game enters its alpha state around April or May. So could the desperate, circle-the-wagons alliance of a proposed Mountain West-Conference USA merger, creating a 22-team megaleague to protect the midweek broadcast viability of college football's have-nots.

"A 22-team conference is something we've never had to deal with before," said Haumiller. "It would break our code," as currently written, he said.

Haumiller said his team is building code for NCAA 13 that tries to accommodate scheduling in a 22-team, user-created league—even one jampacked full of traditional rivals like Alabama, Tennessee, Ohio State, Michigan, Cal and Stanford, who stage their matchups on specific dates in the season. But this logic may not make it into the final game. They'll work as long and as far as they can until either real-world events sort themselves out, or the NCAA Football developers have to make a choice between keeping that code and maybe implementing another feature.

Haumiller said he would prefer for a 22-team scheduling engine to remain in the game, because one of the game's greatest strengths is how users can rearrange conferences between seasons. In essence, if EA Sports gets to a point where it's stamping discs with conference memberships still unresolved, ideally it could still put out a game where users can correct that themselves after spending five minutes in a menu.

"If it takes a little amount of work, and removing it would not leave much room for a new feature," it'll probably stay, Haumiller said. "But if it would be a large task to implement, and there's no certainty it will happen (in real life), I could see us making a decision to say, no, this other thing is what we want to get into the game. Do I want to get that in there? Yes. But the reality is we only have a limited amount of time and space."

Click here to read the entire article from Kotaku and then share your thoughts with The Gaming Tailgate and the NCAA Football community.
    Comments 10 Comments
      JeffHCross -
      Beat you by a half-hour!Good article. If I really try to read between the lines, this gives a little more insight into the development process than Tiburon has historically talked about. Kotaku seems to have taken more of a reporting-on-development focus lately, and I think it's a good idea. The more insight the average video game fan can get into the development process is a good thing.
      DariusLock -
      I hate how they act like coding is soooo hard. I've taken coding classes in college and read books on it, it's not that tough. The coding should be the first thing done on the game, graphics and animations should take the longest.
      bdoughty -
      Quote Originally Posted by DariusLock View Post
      I hate how they act like coding is soooo hard. I've taken coding classes in college and read books on it, it's not that tough. The coding should be the first thing done on the game, graphics and animations should take the longest.
      It is a breeze, you have to wonder why almost every game has a patch when it releases and future patches thereafter.
      JeffHCross -
      Quote Originally Posted by DariusLock View Post
      Coding Hello World is easy. Coding moderately complex systems that require basic interaction between them isn't even that hard. Even coding 1.75+ million lines of code, given enough time, people, and resources, isn't too difficult, given the conditions.

Making sure those 1.75+ million lines of code have no errors: that's tough. Fixing the errors? Tougher. Being bug free? Impossible. Hell, even fitting the game into memory can be difficult enough. Oh, and you can't move your deadline either.

Coding is difficult. Coding is stressful. Is it as bad as, say, getting shot at for a living? No. But it's not as if any Joe Average can do it. And I'm just talking your basic code ... let alone the knowledge/planning/organization it takes to do complex AI.

Oh, and you're absolutely right about time ... if you start from scratch, coding the game will probably not be the long pole in the tent, unless your graphics/interfaces/etc are simple. Introducing new code to an existing environment is a different monster. I believe it tends to be easier to introduce new animations/models/graphics than to introduce a new feature with new code.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
      It is a breeze, you have to wonder why almost every game has a patch when it releases and future patches thereafter.
      Sarcasm?
      bdoughty -
      Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post

Sarcasm?
      Yes, in large amounts. I have yet to run across a programmer who does it for a living, calling it easy.
      JeffHCross -
      Yes, in large amounts. I have yet to run across a programmer who does it for a living, calling it easy.
      Thought I'd read it right, wanted to make sure
      jaymo76 -
      Kind of off topic but indirectly connected... for the 2012 season I believe FOUR teams are transitioning to full FBS membership (2 WAC, 1 MAC, 1 SUNBELT). However, even though each team will play a full conference schedule they are not bowl or BCS eligible until 2013. Has the development team mentioned if these teams will be added or is it more likely they will be added for NCAA 14 when the teams are full FBS members???
      bdoughty -
      Good question. I hope they are added next year and just let things play out. I doubt many will care if they made some lowly bowl in year one. I am just happy to have a team in San Antonio (my Birthplace) to replace North Texas as my Dynasty of Doom. Based on UTSA success this year they might make the original Western Kentucky look like LSU.
      jaymo76 -
      Good question. I hope they are added next year and just let things play out. I doubt many will care if they made some lowly bowl in year one. I am just happy to have a team in San Antonio (my Birthplace) to replace North Texas as my Dynasty of Doom. Based on UTSA success this year they might make the original Western Kentucky look like LSU.
      I really want to see them in... I would love to play as UMASS and see how long it takes to get to the top.
      Pig Bomb -
      Haumiller says "it would break our code" ...LMAO!!!! shhhhhhhh....here's a little secret..it's already broken...big time!!