• NCAA Football 12 Video: Deep Look into Custom Playbooks

As part of their weekly Quick Clip series, the NCAA Football Facebook page has posted a video showing a deeper look at the Custom Playbooks feature in NCAA Football 12. Continue on to check out the video and then share your thoughts with the community.

Comments 38 Comments
      th3 last tiger -
      New to TGT, but from what I saw this looks like an incredible improvement. My only concern is that if someone wanted to create a cheesy playbook, they would have the ability to put in all the formations and plays that they wanted. Then again so can you, so I guess it would even out.
      JBHuskers -
      Welcome man!
      souljahbill -
      Quote Originally Posted by th3 last tiger View Post
      New to TGT, but from what I saw this looks like an incredible improvement. My only concern is that if someone wanted to create a cheesy playbook, they would have the ability to put in all the formations and plays that they wanted. Then again so can you, so I guess it would even out.
      Cheesy people only use the same handful of plays anyway so having lots of plays won't give them any more of an "advantage" then usual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Dr Death -
      Here's a question he didn't address in that video, and I'm sure the answer to this is - Yes - but after we create our Custom Playbooks, both O & D, can we then assign them as our Primary Playbooks just like in years past? So if/when we go to Play Now those PB's pop up as our primary ones. I know... probably a stupid ? but just wanting to make sure we will have that ability.
      gschwendt -
      Quote Originally Posted by Dr Death View Post
      Here's a question he didn't address in that video, and I'm sure the answer to this is - Yes - but after we create our Custom Playbooks, both O & D, can we then assign them as our Primary Playbooks just like in years past? So if/when we go to Play Now those PB's pop up as our primary ones. I know... probably a stupid ? but just wanting to make sure we will have that ability.
      I'm not 100% positive but I'm fairly sure that is indeed the case. I am positive that you can set it as your coach's playbook inside of Dynasty.
      morsdraconis -
      I can't remember or not, but can you go in and change the audibles for whatever playbook you plan to use as your base so that when you go to create a custom playbook, the base you choose has those new audibles? Like, for instance, using Northwestern's playbook, could I go in and change all of the audibles for that playbook to goalline formation audibles so that I'd be able to remove every formation in the playbook besides the locked ones?
      gschwendt -
      Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
      I can't remember or not, but can you go in and change the audibles for whatever playbook you plan to use as your base so that when you go to create a custom playbook, the base you choose has those new audibles? Like, for instance, using Northwestern's playbook, could I go in and change all of the audibles for that playbook to goalline formation audibles so that I'd be able to remove every formation in the playbook besides the locked ones?
      I'm not sure if your changes would carry over to your custom playbook or not but you can certainly do it once you're in there.
      Tarhead10 -
      Nice video...I especially like the part about adding/removing plays from formations... Some plays in formations dont differ in routes or what direction the routes might be going, so its nice to add/remove plays based on exploiting the defense, especially in zone...
      morsdraconis -
      Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
      I'm not sure if your changes would carry over to your custom playbook or not but you can certainly do it once you're in there.
      Ah, well that's just as good then. Didn't know that you could change the audibles inside custom playbook. Cool stuff.
      gschwendt -
      Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
      Ah, well that's just as good then. Didn't know that you could change the audibles inside custom playbook. Cool stuff.
      Yep... goto 4:22 of the video and you'll see where it's done (though it doesn't actually show him changing them).
      morsdraconis -
      Yep... goto 4:22 of the video and you'll see where it's done (though it doesn't actually show him changing them).
      Heh, totally missed that the three or four times it's been shown (guess that's what I get for glancing at screenshots and then just listening to the videos most of the time).
      Unconquered -
      Does anyone know what Ace - Panthers Trips and Ace - Slot Y Flex (seen at 1:35) will look like? A screenshot or diagram would be nice.
      gschwendt -
      Quote Originally Posted by Unconquered View Post
      Does anyone know what Ace - Panthers Trips and Ace - Slot Y Flex (seen at 1:35) will look like? A screenshot or diagram would be nice.
      Ace - Panthers is probably a formation brought over from Madden's Carolina playbook (though not necessarily in Madden 11)... I don't have any idea what it looks like though. The Ace - Slot Y Flex will probably be the TE in the slot and on the line of scrimmage.
      Dr Death -
      I'm not 100% positive but I'm fairly sure that is indeed the case. I am positive that you can set it as your coach's playbook inside of Dynasty.
      Thanks! I figured that was the case, but it never hurts to ask. I appreciate it!
      Unconquered -
      Ace - Panthers is probably a formation brought over from Madden's Carolina playbook (though not necessarily in Madden 11)... I don't have any idea what it looks like though. The Ace - Slot Y Flex will probably be the TE in the slot and on the line of scrimmage.
      Thanks. Y Flex makes sense, but I can't figure what Panthers Trips could be since they've got just about every other trips formation covered.

I tried downloading a PDF of the Madden 11 playbooks, but that yielded no answers.

Something to look forward to on launch day, I guess
      CLW -
      Interesting with all of the "controversy" surrounding the ability to edit/change audibles they didn't even bring it up in this "deep look" yet it is clearly on the screen. Now how it works and what you can do is still sort of left out there in the unknown.

I suppose the only logical explanation for this is they recently added this ability and haven't finished it yet to show us. I cannot think of any other reason why they wouldn't show us the ability to edit/change audibles ESPECIALLY if they claim to read/visit the community sites where it was discussed ad naseum.
      gschwendt -
      Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
      Interesting with all of the "controversy" surrounding the ability to edit/change audibles they didn't even bring it up in this "deep look" yet it is clearly on the screen. Now how it works and what you can do is still sort of left out there in the unknown.
      That's just for standard audibles, not formation audibles.
      JeffHCross -
      Quote Originally Posted by Unconquered View Post
      Does anyone know what Ace - Panthers Trips
      I did see it in one playbook while at the event, and it looked like your average Trips formation to me. I didn't see anything particularly special. That I can recall, at least -- it's possible I'm confusing it with something else.
      FoleyLions -
      Whats that Shotgun-Short Snap formation at 2:41??
      morsdraconis -
      Quote Originally Posted by FoleyLions View Post
      Whats that Shotgun-Short Snap formation at 2:41??
      Good eyes! I totally missed that one. Interesting. More of a Pistol look possibly with normal line up of the RB? Kinda like an offset Shotgun formation but shorter snap maybe?