• NCAA Football 12 Blog: Dynasty Tuning

The latest blog from EA SPORTS discusses some of the Dynasty Tuning that can be found in NCAA Football 12. The blog from Jordan Peterson discusses improvements to CPU Scholarship Offers, CPU Recruiting Based on Play Style, and more. Continue on to read the full blog then share your thoughts with The Gaming Tailgate community.

Hi NCAA Football fans, NCAA Football 12 designer Jordan Peterson here once again, this time to discuss some of the other improvements that have been made to Dynasty mode this year. This blog is going to focus on some of the tuning that was done this year to improve your overall Dynasty experience as well as answer some of the questions that have come up after the other Dynasty blogs were released this week. As you are about to see, based on your feedback we've made a lot of great improvements to the Dynasty mode experience in NCAA Football 12. Let's get on to the updates.

Sway Pitch

One complaint we heard last year was that Sway Pitch felt like too much risk without enough reward and because of this, a lot of fans avoided using Sway Pitch all together which is something I never want to hear as a developer. This year, Sway Pitch has been tuned to provide more of a bonus when you are successful, and less of a penalty when you fail. Additionally, we've adjusted the percent chance that a Sway will be successful to help make Sway Pitch a more effective recruiting tactic, I believe you will now find the Sway Pitch option to have a greater impact during recruiting.

CPU Scholarship Offers

In addition to Sway Pitch, another significant improvement to recruiting is how efficiently the CPU will offer scholarships. Previously, the CPU would occasionally have a recruit that, even though he was ranked first on their board they would not offer a scholarship in order to close the deal and sign the prospect. The CPU will now offer scholarships more intelligently, and as a result, causes some much closer recruiting battles with the CPU against other CPU controlled teams and the user.

CPU Recruiting Based on Play Style

We have heard feedback regarding CPU not recruiting based on their play style, so this was one of our earliest adjustments for NCAA Football 12. Previously, if you were running an option offense, the CPU would simply take the best quarterback that was available, or possibly one just interested in the school. Now, you will find that the CPU will focus upon players that fit their particular play style. That means scrambling QBs will be targeted by option teams, while air raid teams will look for pocket passing quarterbacks.

Another community concern that we addressed for NCAA Football 12 is the balancing of the top 150 recruits. There was some discussion that there were not enough highly rated defensive prospects appearing in the ESPNU Top 150. Based on that feedback we have increased each defensive position's chance of having a prospect worthy enough of being considered one of the top 150 prospects in the recruiting class.

Sim Running Stats

The sim stats for the running backs, backup running backs and quarterbacks were also tuned. Meaning when you sim in Dynasty, the backup HB will get more touches and, in turn, more rushing yards. Quarterback sim stats were adjusted to be more in line with actual NCAA results. The added benefit of tuning these stats is that it facilitated tuning Heisman. Throughout Dynasty you should now see a much better balance of several different position types winning the Heisman.

Incoming Prospect Ratings

Finally, we've updated the incoming ratings for all generated prospects with a focus on ensuring they are consistent with the recruits on the default roster. Now you won't notice a drop off in overall player talent in future years of the Dynasty when the players on the default roster have graduated. I think you will find that some positions, in particular Kickers and Punters, will be far more accurate this year.

Answers to Previous Blog Questions

Earlier this week, we released the blog for Coach Carousel and two Quick Clip videos. I would like to take this opportunity to address some additional questions that I've seen on the forums.

Coach Carousel – Who was that mystery man?

In part 2 of the Quick Clips video, NC State hired their Offensive Coordinator, but he was not one of the top 3 candidates. Good catch! This is an example of the bonus that is provided to hiring within the current school. The Offensive Coordinator was not initially one of NC State's top candidates, but when it came time to hire a coach they decided to stay in-house. Also, you may have noticed that as an A rated coach, he had a lower rating than some of the other Offensive Coordinators that were available.

Coaching Carousel – How fast can you climb the ladder?

Can you become a Head Coach at a 6 star school from a 1 star Offensive/Defensive Coordinator within 2-4 seasons? Yes, it is possible. However, it will require some exceptional skill on the player's part to pass most, if not all, of their goals and some luck on the carousel. The right jobs need to open up at the right time to progress that quickly. This is certainly possible, but by no means easy to do.

Coaching Carousel – Prestige and Progression

How much does Coach Prestige impact progression? Coach Prestige is now a significant factor in the progression formula. It can also be tuned via Live Tuning Packs, so if at some point we feel it needs to play more or less of a part of progression, we can adjust it accordingly. However, we have kept the importance of Coach Prestige in mind when tuning and are very comfortable with its current impact upon progression.

Coaching Carousel – Is Coach Prestige your only rating?

As mentioned above, there have been a lot of questions on coach ratings and how the addition of the Coach Carousel will alter the course of a Dynasty in future years. We've talked a lot about how play styles move with the coach from one school to another and the impact that Coach Prestige has on the game, but I also wanted to point out that the Coach Loyalty rating is dynamic as well. If you are the type of coach that looks to hop from job to job every year, expect to have some struggles on the recruiting trail when a prospect wants to know if you will be there all four years to coach him. At the same time, there will be 119 other coaches out there just waiting to use that pitch against you when they get the chance.

Coaching Carousel – Default coach ratings

There seem to be quite a few A+ coaches? Keep in mind that default Coach Ratings can be edited, customized, and shared via Roster Share. If you want more of a challenge in your Dynasty, dropping their initial ratings will cause them to progress slower. Having said that, during the Carousel, schools will always look at A+ rated coaches that are out of a job.

Furthermore, each player in the Dynasty will start out with a Coach Prestige of D+. The contracts were designed with a slow progression to A+ in mind.

Coaching Carousel – Job Security and Wins/Losses

As an Offensive/Defensive Coordinator, will Job Security go up if we fail the objective based goals but win a lot of games? These contracts were implemented so that Wins and Losses have a significant impact upon job security. However, it is largely dependent upon the team prestige and the caliber of the contract.

Custom Playbooks – Formation Audibles

How are formation audibles set? Formation audibles are set automatically by the CPU for each formation in a custom playbook. The CPU will pick the play out of those in the custom playbook's formation that most closely matches that particular formation audible.

Thanks once again for checking out our blogs this week and I'll see you online when NCAA Football 12 releases on July 12th.
    Comments 108 Comments
      souljahbill -
      Easily the best blog of the week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      JBHuskers -
      Custom Playbooks – Formation Audibles

How are formation audibles set? Formation audibles are set automatically by the CPU for each formation in a custom playbook. The CPU will pick the play out of those in the custom playbook's formation that most closely matches that particular formation audible.
      So basically if you remove a play that was in a formation audible, a play from your playbook will automatically replace it. (as this was a huge question this week)
      Deuce -
      CPU recruiting to their style and better ratings for new recruits. Boom goes the dynamite!! Ah yeah!

Any word on the CPU recruiting too many players at one position? I don't feel like this was addressed but maybe the other fixes have corrected this?
      Jcoop9 -
      CPU recruiting to their style makes the coaching carousel a lot better! Ready for 7/12 now.
      Kwizzy -
      Really good info in this blog.
      JBHuskers -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kwizzy View Post
      Really good info in this blog.
      Agreed
      psusnoop -
      Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
      CPU recruiting to their style and better ratings for new recruits. Boom goes the dynamite!! Ah yeah!

Any word on the CPU recruiting too many players at one position? I don't feel like this was addressed but maybe the other fixes have corrected this?
      This is a big one, I really hope this is really looked into hard.
      psusnoop -
      I like the fact that CPU will now offer a scholarship to a recruit when they should. This is a much needed addition as well as recruiting to their style as well. Good stuff!!
      morsdraconis -
      Quote Originally Posted by psusnoop View Post
      I like the fact that CPU will now offer a scholarship to a recruit when they should. This is a much needed addition as well as recruiting to their style as well. Good stuff!!
      I would venture to guess that between them fixing that issue and having CPU teams recruit to their style of play, that the issue of grabbing too many players of certain positions should be fixed.

It was my understanding that part of the reason why some teams were getting too many players of certain positions was because they'd have 3 QBs rated highly and going after all three of them without ever offering any of them a scholarship to close the deal, therefore, once the end of recruiting happened, those 3 QBs would all go to the highest team on their list and thus that team signing all 3 QBs when they only needed one.
      psusnoop -
      The sway pitch is a welcomed addition, I use/used it in 11 but not all that much. As it said it did feel as though it was hurting more then helping in most instances. Glad they looked into that one.
      hillbill -
      Excellent news!!
      psusnoop -
      Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
      I would venture to guess that between them fixing that issue and having CPU teams recruit to their style of play, that the issue of grabbing too many players of certain positions should be fixed.

It was my understanding that part of the reason why some teams were getting too many players of certain positions was because they'd have 3 QBs rated highly and going after all three of them without ever offering any of them a scholarship to close the deal, therefore, once the end of recruiting happened, those 3 QBs would all go to the highest team on their list and thus that team signing all 3 QBs when they only needed one.
      Which makes sense, lets hope that this is the case and it clears itself up with the adjustments that were made.
      Pig Bomb -
      boom shakalaka .... great news on dynasty tuning!!
      souljahbill -
      I didn't realize that people didn't use Sway Pitch. I used it for everything that wasn't locked or rated as High for everything B and above.

Sinister -
      I still have questions though

1. During recruiting a team winning the National Championship the previous year, does that have any impact for being a Championship Contender. The coach response to that should circle around the fact that they won it the previous year. The same goes for Conference prestige if you won your conference the coaches responses should reflect that.

2.With the change on how teams recruit will that give other teams and users better chance at getting good players, because the cpu isn't trying to grab all the good players in one position.

3. Was pipeline fixed I didn't understand why my created school was based in PA, but my main pipeline was in California. It was very hard to get good players in surrounding states, but I could easily get guys from Florida and Texas
      JBHuskers -
      Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
      I didn't realize that people didn't use Sway Pitch. I used it for everything that wasn't locked or rated as High for everything B and above.

I usually would use it on a low rating to try to get it to average.
      gschwendt -
      Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
      I usually would use it on a low rating to try to get it to average.
      The big problem with it last year was that even if you were successful and moved from a low to an average, the pitch differential was negligible (ex. get 20 for low, 25 for average) so that when you failed, you completely wasted that pitch and when you were successful, it didn't garner enough benefit to be worth it. That combined with the fact that you're actually helping your opponent by swaying because obviously he'll express that same new interest in that pitch.
      ram29jackson -
      Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
      So basically if you remove a play that was in a formation audible, a play from your playbook will automatically replace it. (as this was a huge question this week)
      I wonder how Rhombic will take that ?
      JBHuskers -
      Yeah I didn't use it all the time....maybe once every two weeks if that.
      Kwizzy -
      Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
      I still have questions though
      3. Was pipeline fixed I didn't understand why my created school was based in PA, but my main pipeline was in California. It was very hard to get good players in surrounding states, but I could easily get guys from Florida and Texas
      Pipeline is based on where the players on your roster come from. I would say that if your main pipeline was in CA then that is more an issue with where the teambuilder rosters generate your players from.