• NCAA Football 12 Blog: Custom Playbooks

Designer Jordan Peterson has written a blog on the official NCAA Football 12 product site showing how Custom Playbooks work in this year's game.

After checking out the blog, share your thoughts here with the community.

Hi NCAA Football fans, NCAA Football 12 designer Jordan Peterson here, and I could not be happier to provide some more information about one of the many new features of NCAA Football 12: Custom Playbooks. In this particular blog, I will be walking you through the process of creating a Custom Playbook.

First, let me establish some basics for custom playbooks, and address some of the questions I have seen on the forums. You will be able to create 30 Playbooks, 15 for both Offense and Defense. These Custom Playbooks can be used in Offline and Online Dynasty, any Play Now game, and in Ranked Online games. Now, let's create a Custom Playbook!

The first step to create a Custom Playbook is selecting a base playbook. This playbook will appear with all of its current plays, and audibles, once you are in the Playbook Editor. Please keep in mind that your Hail Mary, Goal Line and Special Teams plays will be associated with your base playbook, and cannot be edited. So choose wisely!

This is the main hub of Custom Playbooks. From here, you will be able to view your playbook as it will appear in-game by selecting View Playbook, in addition to accessing Adding/Removing Plays, Formations and Audibles. You may also note that for each Custom Playbook there will be a maximum of 377 plays and 40 formations that can be selected. However, for those of you that prefer a more minimalistic view, you can reduce your playbook down to only 50 plays. Before we get into editing the Custom Playbook, let's take a quick look at the base playbook.

From this view, you will be able to view plays that are currently in each formation, in addition to accessing Add/Remove Formations. Once you have advanced into a particular formation via View Plays, you can jump to the Reorder Plays screen and Add/Remove Formations. The functionality for maneuvering through Play and Formation views should be very familiar; it's the same functionality for Playcall in game.

Now, if for some reason I wanted to add a power running game to my spread offense, Add/Remove Formation will allow you to add entire formations to your playbook with a single button press. Here you will find every formation, from every single playbook we have in the game. The options here are practically limitless.

However, if you're like me, you may want to break down your Custom Playbooks even further. Selecting Edit Plays will provide an even deeper level of customization of your playbook. From here, you will be able to add any single play from the global playbook pool, or, trim your playbook down to a more manageable size. Only want to run 6 plays out of Strong I: Close? Trim it down and make it easier to find your plays.

Finally, those of you that always wanted to see your plays in a particular order within a playbook, or have spent what seems like hours frantically scouring a playbook for a particular play, can now rearrange your plays on the Reorder screen. From here, you will be able to drag and drop each play and arrange your playbook so it appears exactly as you want it to in game. Never again will you have to search through a massive playbook to find the particular play you like to use in a particular situation.

And that's the final step. From there you can rename your playbook, and use it in Play Now, Dynasty, Online Dynasty and even Ranked games. Or, go ahead and create more playbooks.

I hope you enjoyed this preview of Custom Playbooks, please stay tuned for more information on Dynasty and Road to Glory in the coming weeks.

Thanks again, and remember, NCAA Football will be available on July 12th!
    Comments 78 Comments
      jwallace0317 -
      I'm getting the distinct impression that EA hasn't yet figured out how it's going to handle formation audibles in the context of custom playbooks.
      Buckeye -
      Hai Guyz! Questions-

1. If I choose to include a new formation in my custom playbook, do I have to keep all four formation audible plays in that formation or can I remove them and choose other plays as my audibles?
      2. The blog doesn't mention if custom playbooks can be used in Unranked Online games. Why is this so? I would love to try a new custom playbook on an unsuspecting stranger in unranked scrimmage mode.

Great job by the Tiburon team, btw! NCAA '12 looks good feature wise!
      souljahbill -
      For the regulars here, no new info. Still my favorite addition for '12 though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      souljahbill -
      Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
      2. The blog doesn't mention if custom playbooks can be used in Unranked Online games.
      Of course they can be used in unranked games.

ram29jackson -
      simply fascinating,...15 entire offensive playbooks with names , very interesing idea. 3 is probably enough for me ..?
      xGRIDIRONxGURUx -
      im starting to get the feeling that formation audibles will be disabled... im so very not happy about that feeling either... seriously... i thought they were waiting this long to roll out a solid blog about it because they were getting the kinks out... mi hoping that im wrong because i am near certain that it wouldnt be that big of an issue to have customizable...

"E"
      coogrfan -
      Quote Originally Posted by jwallace0317 View Post
      I'm getting the distinct impression that EA hasn't yet figured out how it's going to handle formation audibles in the context of custom playbooks.
      I strongly suspect that formation audibles will be disabled when using custom playbooks.
      rhombic21 -
      That would be a MAJOR blow to the functionality of those playbooks. To the point of almost making them useless.

At the very least they ought to make it so that you can access the default formation audibles if you don't delete those plays from your playbook.
      jwallace0317 -
      Damn. Just seems ridiculous not to be able to designate different formation audibles for each formation you include in your playbook. Sort of the essence of "custom," lol.
      beartide06 -
      Even though it's not new news, I'm still pretty pumped to be able to attack my opponents from a great variety.
      rhombic21 -
      Yeah. If there are no formation audibles, it will completely ruin this feature.
      ram29jackson -
      Quote Originally Posted by rhombic21 View Post
      Yeah. If there are no formation audibles, it will completely ruin this feature.

completely ruin ? naaaaaaww, maybe more of a disappointment but not a - completely ruin hah
      souljahbill -
      These are the audibles assigned to the right stick, right?

coogrfan -
      The reason I'm dubious about this is because I seem to remember that in the ps2 versions (at least up to NCAA 06) using a custom playbook disabled the formation audible feature. Note that this is pure speculation on my part, I am not aware of anything official from EA on the matter.
      coogrfan -
      Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
      These are the audibles assigned to the right stick, right?

Correct.
      rhombic21 -
      Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
      completely ruin ? naaaaaaww, maybe more of a disappointment but not a - completely ruin hah
      If you don't have formation audibles, you can't really use this at all on defense with the way that people play no-huddle and throw so many formations/motions at you. And on offense you can't really use it either because it's basically going to be impossible to put together a meaningful scheme unless you want to operate out of one formation all game.

I am not being over-dramatic here. If you cannot use formation audibles with custom playbooks, then custom playbooks will be completely ruined.
      souljahbill -
      Quote Originally Posted by coogrfan View Post
      Correct.
      Are these not customizable now? I've never set up my audibles because I rarely use them.

rhombic21 -
      Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
      Are these not customizable now? I've never set up my audibles because I rarely use them.

Formation (aka "quick") audibles are not customizable right now. You can customize 5 additional audibles, but the formation/quick audibles that are tied to each formation in the game cannot be changed.

Without these audibles, it is basically impossible to make any kinds of checks/changes at the line that are necessary during a game, unless you use one formation all game (which defeats the entire purpose of using custom playbooks in the first place -- if you're just going to use one formation all game, then you can probably find a base playbook with that formation and the plays you want in it).
      rhombic21 -
      To clarify, it won't ruin the feature if it is still not possible to customize your formation audibles, so long as there is at least some mechanism for using them with custom playbooks (i.e. you can access the audibles if you keep those plays in your custom playbook). If, however, it's like last gen apparently was (last gen's custom playbooks couldn't be used online so I never used them), and you can't use formation/quick audibles at all with custom playbooks, then there will be no point in creating a custom playbook.
      oweb26 -
      Quote Originally Posted by rhombic21 View Post
      If you don't have formation audibles, you can't really use this at all on defense with the way that people play no-huddle and throw so many formations/motions at you. And on offense you can't really use it either because it's basically going to be impossible to put together a meaningful scheme unless you want to operate out of one formation all game.

I am not being over-dramatic here. If you cannot use formation audibles with custom playbooks, then custom playbooks will be completely ruined.
      I think you are being a tad bit over dramatic, but I do see what you are saying. I have to say it will be a bit disappointing very disappointing, I still dont see it ruining it too much, not to a point of making the feature useless. It does kind of negate the term "custom" playbooks. Maybe "almost" custom would be a better term.

Why do we think audibles aren't in the game again?