• Gamespot's "On The Spot" with NCAA Football 12 - Video & Recap

As part of the May 12 edition of GameSpot's "On The Spot" web program, the show featured a taped interview with NCAA Football 12 producer Ben Haumiller discussing the game and featuring some gameplay footage. To watch the video archive of the show, head over to GameSpot.com and continue on to read our show recap. After watching, share your thoughts with the community.

Show recap:

- Ben Haumiller with host
    - Wanted to add unique team elements, such as entrances in pre-game and also aspects during the game
    - Oklahoma's Sooner Schooner entrance shown
    - Enhanced Collision System discussed
    - Oklahoma State (Alex Howell) at Oklahoma (CPU)
    - GameTrack discussed. Can be very detailed or simple in telling game story
    - 3D Grass and Crowd discussed
    - HDR Lighting discussed
    - Game in stores July 12 for 360 and PS3
    Comments 51 Comments
      souljahbill -
      They're talking about SMB3 now. Have they shown the NCAA footage yet?
      gschwendt -
      Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
      They're talking about SMB3 now. Have they shown the NCAA footage yet?
      Nope... they've made mention that it will be on the show but haven't actually shown anything.
      xMrHitStickx904 -
      started.
      xMrHitStickx904 -
      tackles look great. from how he's playing, he's making good reads, thus finding the holes.
      cdj -
      Show recap:

- Ben Haumiller with host
      - Wanted to add unique team elements, such as entrances in pre-game and also aspects during the game
      - Oklahoma's Sooner Schooner entrance shown
      - Enhanced Collision System discussed
      - Oklahoma State (Alex Howell) at Oklahoma (CPU)
      - GameTrack discussed. Can be very detailed or simple in telling game story
      - 3D Grass and Crowd discussed
      - HDR Lighting discussed
      - Game in stores July 12 for 360 and PS3
      souljahbill -
      It just ended. Not bad.
      WolverineJay -
      I tuned in just in time to see the touch pass over the LB on the 4 verts play that went for a TD. I'm 90% sure that LB would have broke that up or picked it off in NCAA 11.
      WolverineJay -
      Also heard Ben say that even though they improved zone defense this year it isn't overpowered at all. Then he elaborated that there will be holes in the zone to allow an offense to still move the ball against zone D, which is all were asking for in the sim community.
      Jayrah -
      Quote Originally Posted by WolverineJay View Post
      Also heard Ben say that even though they improved zone defense this year it isn't overpowered at all. Then he elaborated that there will be holes in the zone to allow an offense to still move the ball against zone D, which is all were asking for in the sim community.
      Not to be rude.... But Ben talking about the stuff means squat! Lol. Of course he'll talk it up! That being said, it looks like it will play the way they're describing. If it does and they don't tweak it to death after release for anything that's "too hard" I think this is the version I've been searching for since this gen released!
      WolverineJay -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jayrah View Post
      Not to be rude.... But Ben talking about the stuff means squat! Lol. Of course he'll talk it up! That being said, it looks like it will play the way they're describing. If it does and they don't tweak it to death after release for anything that's "too hard" I think this is the version I've been searching for since this gen released!
      LOL. You can be rude to Ben he said it not me, lol. I just reported what he said for those that didn't watch the show.
      Rudy -
      Quote Originally Posted by WolverineJay View Post
      The OS preview on Madden felt the zone defence was a little too over powered. Still a little worried about it.
      WolverineJay -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
      The OS preview on Madden felt the zone defence was a little too over powered. Still a little worried about it.
      I understand what everyone is saying and will withhold my personal judgement until I get my hands on the demo next month, but in the video the guy completed a 4 verts play for a TD versus a cover 2 zone. He hit the post route wr over the deep middle, which is a realistic hole in that zone defense so that was promising to see.
      xMrHitStickx904 -

^ OS previews have let me down lately.
      JeffHCross -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
      Trust me, we'll keep our eyes on it for you
      Jaredlib -
      Guys....uh hopefully someone can held me calm about this stuff but after watching that video I am VERY concerned.

The OSU guy hits the same post route twice in a row right before Ben specifically says something about the post route being stopped this year. Right after that you see the verticals play that looks exactly like it does against zone in NCAA 11 with the MLB getting no depth. Also the OSU QB scrambles twice and the defenders don't react all until he crosses the line of scrimmage.

On defense you see him call man coverage, control the LB who is manned up with the RB (who runs to the flats) and just abandons his coverage and blitzes, forcing an incomplete pass even though the RB is WIDE open.

The positive from the video is, just like the IGN vids, you see the computer running backs run the ball with authority, pulling off a nice spin in this one. Looked good.

I was really happy with what I saw in the IGN videos but this vid brought me way down. It looked like some cheese tactics will work just as well in 12 to, just being honest. I am gonna watch it again
      rhombic21 -
      Yeah, the video didn't look so great with respect to zone coverage against the skinny post or with respect to DL pass rush (which is developing as a trend). Again, the DL doesn't do a good job collapsing the pocket or maintaining rush lanes, and the second level defenders do a poor job reacting to the QB scramble.

One thing that also sticks out to me is that the computer does a HORRIBLE job with alignment issues. Virtually every play in the video they align with the strong side of the defense to the wrong side. For instance, they are often times in a Nickel package, but play it with the CB on the weak side with no slot receiver or tight end to cover. This leaves the LB on the other side with multiple receivers to cover, and is just poor in terms of football fundamentals. There's no point in playing nickel if you aren't going to put your 3rd CB over a receiver.

These are the AI things that EA needs to get right if offline play is ever going to be realistic. The computer just doesn't make intelligent decisions, whether you're talking about playcalling, utilizing substitution packages, or pre-snap adjustments.
      Jaredlib -
      Can the community guys please look into this at the next event? I am begging you guys to look the devs in the eyes and tell them this stuff isn't right
      Jayrah -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jaredlib View Post
      Can the community guys please look into this at the next event? I am begging you guys to look the devs in the eyes and tell them this stuff isn't right

You gotta think that was on Varsity Default settings. That was some crappy defense by the #1 squad in the land. Community guys have already said it's not that easy. I don't think there's anything to take out of the video.
      Rudy -
      Quote Originally Posted by rhombic21 View Post
      One thing that also sticks out to me is that the computer does a HORRIBLE job with alignment issues. Virtually every play in the video they align with the strong side of the defense to the wrong side. For instance, they are often times in a Nickel package, but play it with the CB on the weak side with no slot receiver or tight end to cover. This leaves the LB on the other side with multiple receivers to cover, and is just poor in terms of football fundamentals. There's no point in playing nickel if you aren't going to put your 3rd CB over a receiver.
      This has always been a minor beef for me as a user as well. When I call nickel zone against a 3 WR set, I expect my nickel CB to line up against the slot WR. I shouldn't have to flip the formation every time to make this happen and it completely gives up the fact I'm playing zone. The same logic should apply to the cpu.
      Rudy -
      If people want the Cover 2 zone to automatically be able to stop the skinny post and verticals, what type of offensive plays do you expect to actually be successful? You want the defense to flood the short zones and take away everything short and then still be able to stop all the deep stuff with only two safeties? I'll never gain a yard passing if the Cover 2 could do all that. My biggest problem with the Cover 2 was not being able to hit a quick go route about 20 yards downfield. If you throw it right you should be able to squeeze a pass in between the CB and Safety down the sideline but the super jump/swat always prevented that.

I think what most people would like to see is more variety in the defensive outcomes. We need some random blown coverages and some good and bad defensive plays with the same play calls. The skinny post should be available some times and not others just because a player may make a smart play once and a not so smart play the next time depending on his abilities.