• NCAA Football 12: Custom Playbooks

EA SPORTS has just notified us that we can both confirm and freely talk about anything that has to do with Custom Playbooks. Please feel free to post any questions, thoughts, and concerns that you may have within the comments.

• Total plays - The max number is 377, but it varies between 370-377 based on the teams base playbook.
    • Playbooks - 15 on offense 15 on defense
    • 40 formations total
    • Can be used in Online Dynasty and ranked/unranked online games
    • Goalline and Special teams are in each playbook
    • The max number of formations will depend on the playbook.
    • Cannot edit Goal Line, Special Teams or Hail Mary. The number of plays in defensive playbooks is also dependent upon the base playbook selected so it falls into the 377-370 range as well.
    Comments 241 Comments
      morsdraconis -
      Quote Originally Posted by psuexv View Post
      Yeah I'm not disagreeing that this wouldn't be cool. I'm just saying that I don't think EA intended this feature to do that and I probably at this point won't do that. If they did intend for it, I would think they would have allowed things like customizing the style not taking the style of the base playbook.
      Oh, I can definitely understand that as well and I'm sure that's what most people will be doing, but I know there are going to be plenty of people that spend the first week or two of the game (while waiting for updated rosters) customizing the hell out of their playbook and probably building playbooks from scratch and I'll probably be one of them.
      psuexv -
      Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
      Oh, I can definitely understand that as well and I'm sure that's what most people will be doing, but I know there are going to be plenty of people that spend the first week or two of the game (while waiting for updated rosters) customizing the hell out of their playbook and probably building playbooks from scratch and I'll probably be one of them.
      Wait a tick... I thought you weren't even getting the game
      JBHuskers -
      Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
      Sort of like the dreads question last night in the IGN thing. They got their dreads in, but now they're already bitching because it's only one length and they don't get multiple lengths to choose from.

That's what they do, take the most inane thing and pound it to the ground with post after post, page after page.
      steelerfan -
      Wait a tick... I thought you weren't even getting the game

I guess Coaching Carousel is no longer needed to push mors back on board.
      steelerfan -
      Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post

That's what they do, take the most inane thing and pound it to the ground with post after post, page after page.
      Yep.
      morsdraconis -
      Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post

I guess Coaching Carousel is no longer needed to push mors back on board.

I'm weak, what can I say?
      psusnoop -
      Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post

I'm weak, what can I say?
      boknows34 -
      Is custom playbooks just going to be a place to assemble all of the plays that I like, or can I make my own plays, and more importantly, with my own formations, and the ability to have unbalanced or split O-lines. For example, there are two formations that I would like to be able to use, one has an O-line of
      C LT LG RG RT and the other has a split line where the LG C are together and the LT RG RT are together on the right side of the field. Both are total gimmick formations, but perfectly legal. Also would I be able to make custom routes on pass plays (like in older versions of Madden that had custom playbooks) or would there be just a set of generic routes like streak, curl, post, in, out, etc... (like in the most recent version of Head Coach)?
      cdj -
      Quote Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
      Is custom playbooks just going to be a place to assemble all of the plays that I like, or can I make my own plays,
      Custom Playbooks lets you put your favorite formations and plays currently in the game into one playbook. There is no play creator or editor. Though, you can still do pre-snap hot routes and adjustments.

Thanks for joining the site!
      boknows34 -
      Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
      Custom Playbooks lets you put your favorite formations and plays currently in the game into one playbook. There is no play creator or editor. Though, you can still do pre-snap hot routes and adjustments.

Thanks for joining the site!
      That's unfortunate. It's definitely a positive that I can substitute out plays that I don't like, but a play creator would make custom playbooks better. The other thing that I hope to see is a return of trickery.
      JeffHCross -
      Quote Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
      That's unfortunate. It's definitely a positive that I can substitute out plays that I don't like, but a play creator would make custom playbooks better.
      It would, but there's also a lot of concerns to be thought of before adding in custom plays. NFL Head Coach 09 had Custom Plays, and it was quickly obvious that the "top" plays created were all designed solely to abuse the AI or cheat.

I'm just saying that I don't think EA intended this feature to do that and I probably at this point won't do that. If they did intend for it, I would think they would have allowed things like customizing the style not taking the style of the base playbook.
      I would think that they intend just as much for someone to create their playbook from scratch as they do for us to just make simple edits.

For mors's idea of not having anything that doesn't match 21 personnel ... I can understand why he wouldn't want Hail Mary or Goalline to be in his playbook. But even a team that runs nothing but 21 personnel has got to have something for those scenarios. Or at least you would think they'd have it as an option. Plus, I imagine there's some reason those formations are forced to be kept. Otherwise it doesn't make sense, and I choose to believe that it makes sense.

As for the style of the base playbook ... just pick a base playbook that matches the style you're going to end up with. If you're going totally from scratch, then it really doesn't matter which base playbook was used. (Though it does occur to me that it would suck to get halfway through your playbook and then decide on a different style)
      JBHuskers -
      Looking through my notes, I found some clarification that may not have been brought up. When you hit or to remove ALL formations and you have a (i.e. Shotgun) set that is an audible in a particular formation (i.e. Shotgun 4WR). It DOES actually remove every play in the formation except for the audible play.

My first thoughts (and I'm not sure if everyone else had the same thoughts from the CD) were that it wouldn't touch any of the plays in the formation, but I can confirm that it does remove everything but the audible play.
      JeffHCross -
      JB, you're talking about the master Playbook audibles here, right? Just want to clarify for anyone that reads that as a post on formation audibles.
      JBHuskers -
      Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
      JB, you're talking about the master Playbook audibles here, right? Just want to clarify for anyone that reads that as a post on formation audibles.
      Yeah when you're trying to delete a formation that is in the master audible set.
      boknows34 -
      Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
      It would, but there's also a lot of concerns to be thought of before adding in custom plays. NFL Head Coach 09 had Custom Plays, and it was quickly obvious that the "top" plays created were all designed solely to abuse the AI or cheat.
      Maybe it's something to hope for in future games. If people want to cheat/abuse the AI offline, then whatever; but if people are concerned about cheaters online, just don't allow custom plays online.
      Cipher 8 -
      Yeah when you're trying to delete a formation that is in the master audible set.
      So is that formation actually deleted then, aside from the one play that is stuck because it's an audible, or does the formation still count against your max formation total? And does the play (the audible play) count against your total plays.

I think it would be dumb to be forced to have that formation and that play count against you and then actually show up in your playbook too as a formation but only one play in it.

I got another question. Certain playbooks have certain custom formation options (I think you can change between them with right stick but I'm not sure i haven't been on NCAA 11 in a couple days and can't remember right now) Basically I'm talking about the thing where you change backup RB, heavy, dual hb, strong slot, wr flip, etc. But some teams playbooks have like a special set up for a specific formation already like some have a TE in slot from default where other playbooks same formation and everything would have 3 WR's as it's default.

How is this treated in custom playbook? Will there be these team specific formations we can choose from but all the plays within them be all in one pool, so say BYU's custom Spread Flex compared to idk Florida State's Spread Flex for example. Even though say BYU's has a TE in the slot where FL.St. has a WR are all the plays still just linked to the Spread Flex formation pool. Does that make sense? I'm confusing myself now... lol Basically I would like to choose a team specific's formation because sometimes they have different formation options like the WR flip, Strong Side, Weak Side, Strong Slot where the same formation on other team's playbooks don't have those options.
      Kwizzy -
      Quote Originally Posted by Cipher 8 View Post
      So is that formation actually deleted then, aside from the one play that is stuck because it's an audible, or does the formation still count against your max formation total? And does the play (the audible play) count against your total plays.

I think it would be dumb to be forced to have that formation and that play count against you and then actually show up in your playbook too as a formation but only one play in it.

I got another question. Certain playbooks have certain custom formation options (I think you can change between them with right stick but I'm not sure i haven't been on NCAA 11 in a couple days and can't remember right now) Basically I'm talking about the thing where you change backup RB, heavy, dual hb, strong slot, wr flip, etc. But some teams playbooks have like a special set up for a specific formation already like some have a TE in slot from default where other playbooks same formation and everything would have 3 WR's as it's default.

How is this treated in custom playbook? Will there be these team specific formations we can choose from but all the plays within them be all in one pool, so say BYU's custom Spread Flex compared to idk Florida State's Spread Flex for example. Even though say BYU's has a TE in the slot where FL.St. has a WR are all the plays still just linked to the Spread Flex formation pool. Does that make sense? I'm confusing myself now... lol Basically I would like to choose a team specific's formation because sometimes they have different formation options like the WR flip, Strong Side, Weak Side, Strong Slot where the same formation on other team's playbooks don't have those options.
      To answer your first question, yes that formation & play do count against your total but you can remove that play from your audibles (change it to a play you do want in your book) and then the play/formation can be removed.

I'm not sure on your second question, what you're referring to is called package subs but I don't know how they're handled in CPBs, maybe G does.
      razorback44 -
      Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
      Sort of like the dreads question last night in the IGN thing. They got their dreads in, but now they're already bitching because it's only one length and they don't get multiple lengths to choose from.
      This x1000. Some people are just never going to be happy.
      JBHuskers -
      Quote Originally Posted by razorback44 View Post
      This x1000. Some people are just never going to be happy.
      That was true with making a big deal out of pre-game openings online; when it was the same when these entrances were debuted last year and there wasn't such an outrage, now all of a sudden OUTRAGE!!!!!1111
      rhombic21 -
      That was true with making a big deal out of pre-game openings online; when it was the same when these entrances were debuted last year and there wasn't such an outrage, now all of a sudden OUTRAGE!!!!!1111
      You stay classy.