• NCAA Football 12 Designer Talks Zone Defense

NCAA Football 12 Designer Ben Haumiller discusses the changes made to Zone Defense in this year's game while new footage is showcased. Continue after the break to see the video and let us know what you think.

Comments 99 Comments
      CLW -
      I see how you roll here at TGT. My people shall rise up and overthrow your authoritarian regime!
      gschwendt -
      Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
      I see how you roll here at TGT. My people shall rise up and overthrow your authoritarian regime!
      Well, from now on, I'll just post the videos without actually watching them to see if the content is worthwhile
      CLW -
      Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
      Well, from now on, I'll just post the videos without actually watching them to see if the content is worthwhile
      All content from "the fine folks" is worthwhile especially when the video is entitled "Brand New Footage showing changes...".
      souljahbill -
      I don't know why you even bothered. You should've known they would be on top of a new video or bit of news like Charlie Sheen on a "goddess." :p
      gschwendt -
      All content from "the fine folks" is worthwhile especially when the video is entitled "Brand New Footage showing changes...".
      Even if it's posted nearly a week after I post it?
      CLW -
      Even if it's posted nearly a week after I post it?
      Especially then.
      JBHuskers -
      Especially then.
      Don't go to the Madden thread then
      JBHuskers -
      In regards to the video....the very first thing people are going to say (I can hear it now) is that the game is broken because zones work properly and their cheese no long works. In many different playthroughs within many different builds, I can say that I have a had a hard time getting a good offense going for the most part. It'll definitely take some adjusting.
      psuexv -
      I can't wait... being successful on offense will actually take some work.
      psuexv -
      Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
      In regards to the video....the very first thing people are going to say (I can hear it now) is that the game is broken because zones work properly and their cheese no long works.
      True but I'm assuming that if you play on a lower skill level it will still be able to cheese.
      psusnoop -
      In regards to the video....the very first thing people are going to say (I can hear it now) is that the game is broken because zones work properly and their cheese no long works. In many different playthroughs within many different builds, I can say that I have a had a hard time getting a good offense going for the most part. It'll definitely take some adjusting.
      Well I think this is fantastic. This is a much needed improvement in an area that will have a direct impact on games. My small ball game just may work well in this years version.
      CLW -
      Yep "Zones = Cheese" will be all we hear when the demo drops. I just hope and pray they don't patch/tune it down. These morons need to learn how to read defenses properly and to take what the zone gives them.
      JBHuskers -
      Yeah....the guys that were at the CD's definitely provided a lot of good feedback on what didn't work or look right, and by the time April rolled around, we noticed a lot of those issues were addressed and for the most part already resolved.
      psuexv -
      Yep "Zones = Cheese" will be all we hear when the demo drops. I just hope and pray they don't patch/tune it down. These morons need to learn how to read defenses properly and to take what the zone gives them.
      Do they really though. I mean if your just a random gamer(especially a young kid), do you really care about how real a game plays. I will say that I never really cheesed in my life but when I was in my teens, I just wanted a fun game that I could play.

I've said this for awhile and I think "difficulty" levels should be "realism" levels. Playing on Varsity is a video gamey experience where playing on Heisman the players play like their attributes are rated and the game play is as real as possible.
      souljahbill -
      Since I prefer running over passing, as long as I get some decent blocking, my offense should be ok.
      Tarhead10 -
      Im loving the improvements...A corner should be able to react to pass in the flats when in zone, thats the way its suppose to be....Also I like in the first part of the video where the corner reacts to the QB telegraphing the pass to the flats..I also hope they dont change this or tone it down... Its make the game alot more challenging and that only leads to more fun and more playtime for serious gamers..
      psuexv -
      I just hope EA didn't over compensate. Ben says in the video that the skinny post will no longer be there...well sometimes it should. Please don't let it be like curl routes in '10, where they were impossible to hit after '09 where they were a guaranteed route.
      JBHuskers -
      Quote Originally Posted by Tarhead10 View Post
      Im loving the improvements...A corner should be able to react to pass in the flats when in zone, thats the way its suppose to be....Also I like in the first part of the video where the corner reacts to the QB telegraphing the pass to the flats..I also hope they dont change this or tone it down... Its make the game alot more challenging and that only leads to more fun and more playtime for serious gamers..
      The scores of most users games at the various community days definitely reflected that.
      gschwendt -
      Quote Originally Posted by psuexv View Post
      I just hope EA didn't over compensate. Ben says in the video that the skinny post will no longer be there...well sometimes it should. Please don't let it be like curl routes in '10, where they were impossible to hit after '09 where they were a guaranteed route.
      Bear in mind that so long as you have complimentary routes, you can still hit various routes. Skinny posts aren't completely gone from the game... you just have to force the defender to make a decision and then read off of that.
      JBHuskers -
      Bear in mind that so long as you have complimentary routes, you can still hit various routes. Skinny posts aren't completely gone from the game... you just have to force the defender to make a decision and then read off of that.
      I'm kinda wondering if the route running grade is going to come more into play for who you wanna recruit this year.