• Inside Zone Breakdown versus 4-3 Normal

In an earlier article I covered the inside zone blocking scheme against various fronts, in this article I am going to cover various inside zone running plays against the 4-3 Normal defense in NCAA Football.

Ace Normal Inside Zone

The first thing you will notice is the blocking scheme is different from the previous article.

In the game the play side tight end blocks the defensive end, the play side tackle and guard combination block, the center and back side guard combination block and the backside tackle blocks the back side end.

Before we go further let’s take a look at the zone blocking rules:

Determine whether you are covered or uncovered: (covered means a defender is on the LOS on any part of your body.)

If you are UNCOVERED – Zone with your teammate to the play side.
    If you are COVERED, look at your back side teammate:
    • If backside teammate is UNCOVERED, zone with him (he will combo with you to the linebacker)
    • If backside teammate is COVERED, man block (no help from him).

Also remember, the covered and uncovered theory holds true for everyone on the line of scrimmage except the backside tackle who will execute a stretch double with the back side guard if he is covered.

Play 1:

The first thing you notice is that due to the down block by the play side tackle the Sam linebacker is able to run through and make a tackle. Also, due to the down block by the center the Mike linebacker is able to scrape over the top.

Play 2:

You again see the same blocking scheme but here the play side defensive tackle slants inside which pulls both the play side guard and tackle with him. If the Sam linebacker was plugging here he would have a free run at the ball carrier.

The other issue I have is the backside tackle who first blocks down on the end then releases to the Will. This allows the Will to scrape over the top untouched.

Play 3:

As I alluded to in play one the down blocks by the play side tackle and center will open up the possibility of the linebacker run through in the A-gap and C-gap.

Play 4:

One thing I like about this play is you see the Mike aligned in the A-gap right over the center and the center bypasses the down block and gets after the Mike. I'd like to see the center take a zone base step to stop the Mike from crossing his face.

The play side blocking stays the same and again on the back side the tackle attempts to block the defensive end then gets after the Will again allowing the Will to come over the top.

In the end there was a great cutback lane for the running back, however because the play side tackle blocked down the Sam was able to run through and make the tackle just as the running back was making his cut.

Play 5:

Play five is just like play three where the Sam is able to run through and make a tackle for loss.

Play 6:

This play concerns me a little because as has been talked about in pass blocking the offensive line seems to have a psychic ability to sense the blitz by the linebackers as each of the uncovered linemen come off on the plugging linebackers which goes against what has been shown in the previous plays.

Play 7:

Play seven suffers due to the blocking scheme as talked about in play five and three.

Ace Slot Inside Zone

Play 1:

Here the blocking remains the same as was seen with Ace Normal, however here the play side tackle releases directly for the Sam who looks as though he is blitzing, bringing up the concern about the psychic offensive line. The play side guard gets beat by a very good defensive lineman who ends up making the tackle. The center and back side guard combo the 1-technique allowing the Mike to come over the top. The back side tackle blocks the end, the technique here with the Will removed by alignment is to either release directly to the safety or to chip the end and release up field. The slot receiver also needs to attack the inside half of the defender on the block and not allow the Will to get involved in the play.

Play 2:

I would like to see the back side tackle either release up field or chip and release and the quarterback roll out to control the defensive end. The block by the slot receiver again needs to attack the inside of the defender to stop the Will from getting involved in the play.

Play 3:

The blocking play side remains the same. Here though you see the Will linebacker aligned inside the box, the tackle blocks on the defensive end allowing the Will to run through. I also like that the slot receiver releases to the safety, although I would like to see him attack him directly one to protect for the cutback but this would also muddy the read for the safety against play-action.

Play 4:

The only reason why this play worked was because the Sam linebacker tried to run around the play side defensive end which seems to happen a lot in the 4-3 Normal defense (I'll cover this more when I focus on the defense).

Play 5:

Play five is basically a copy of play four.

I-Form Normal Inside Zone

Play 1:

Here again you see the same blocking scheme and three areas where a linebacker run through could happen. The Sam linebacker plays hard to the outside opening up the C-gap and the Mike and Will linebackers flow hard play side. The play side tackle was able to come off in time to pick up the Mike creating a large lane for the ball carrier to run through.

Play 2:

This is a repeat of play one, however this time the 3-technique defender does his job and creates a pile as he is being driven back allowing the Mike to make the tackle.

Play 3:

This play is an exact repeat of play one.

Play 4:

This play has the same blocking as the others, however this time the Sam and Mike linebackers are plugging hard, the play side tackle basically ended up blocking down on the Mike much like he would on the counter play and the fullback is able to get the Sam out of the hole creating a large running lane.

Play 5:

Here again an inside slant by the 3-technique pulls both the guard and tackle inside, the play side tackle was still able to pick up the Mike however. The backside tackle blocks the defensive end allowing the Will to come over the top and make a play on the ball carrier.

Inside zone runs from the Shotgun

First I will cover the inside zone read:

Play 1:

Perfect inside zone scheme as was drawn up in my previous article. Since the scheme is correct the only thing to nit-pick is none of the linemen are stepping with the correct foot on their first step. You’d like to see the slot receivers get better blocks, but like I said that’s just nit-picking.

Play 2:

Again the scheme is good, but the 3-technique slanted inside, the center should pick that up, the guard would redirect and it would turn into a double-team block, they would then work up to the Mike. You’d also like to see the back side guard get on the play side shoulder of the 1-technique.

Play 3:

Scheme is good, but the center needs to be the blocker coming of the combo block. The backside guard was able to get vertical movement on the 1-technique but again you’d like to see him on the play side shoulder. Again with both outside linebackers in the box, the slot receivers need to attack the safeties.

Play 4:

The scheme is good, however there needs to be another animation added on the double-team block, it seems as though when the defensive linemen “makes a pile” he will always be able to pull down both blockers. There needs to be an animation where he is only able to pull down one and the add-on blocker (in this case the center) is able to come off and climb to the second level. The slot receivers again need to do a better job of crossing the defenders face and keeping them out of the inside.

Play 5:

I like this play only to highlight the block by the play side guard and center, they did not get their hips together and the defensive linemen was able to split the block. Again on the back side you’d like to see the guard get across the face of the 1-technique and the slot receivers need to attack the inside half of the defender.

Play 6:

Play side I am fine with the way the blocking played out given the circumstances. However, on defense you’d like to see that 3-technique hang in there longer and dropping only once he recognizes pass. The thing that looks bad is the backside tackle that basically pulls through the A-gap where he should be releasing up field. The slot receiver was able to get the block that sprung the runner for another 10 yards, but you’d like to see him take a sharper angle inside when releasing up to the safety.

Play 7:

You cannot really see too much on this play thanks to my great camera skills, but I cannot see anything that really sticks out.

Play 8:

Here you have both the Mike and Will backer plugging and both the center and back side tackle miss the block. The blockers need to be able to diagnose this sooner and redirect to pick up the linebackers.

Next up is the inside zone option:

Play 1:

I liked that the center picked up the Mike who moved up into the A-gap pre-snap. You’d like to see the back side guard get on the play side shoulder again.

Play 2:

A couple things on this play, the back side tackle pulls through the A-gap instead of releasing up field. On the play side the guard and center work a slip block to the Sam, the guard needs to stay on the 3-technique and the center release up to the Mike. If the Sam is able to run though the B-gap and make a play more power to him, but the odds of that happening from five yards deep are very slim.

Play 3:

Play three is just like play two.

Play 4:

On this play you get a good look at what happens when the wrong blocker releases up field, the play side guard needs to stay on the 3-technique and the center will release blocking from inside to out.

Play 5:

Play five has the same issues as play four.

Join the discussion here.