• The Gaming Tailgate: NCAA Football 12 Preview

Last week, several members of The Gaming Tailgate attended a Community Event for NCAA Football 12. While more details of that will come very soon, continue below to read a write-up from Chris Jacobs (cdj) briefly talking about some of the things we saw. In addition, we plan to go into further details in a podcast but wanted to give you a sample of what to expect.

Presentation
    Presentation in the NCAA Football franchise has come a long ways in the last few years and continues with NCAA Football 12. As we have seen and heard already, community members with an eye for in-game screenshots will utilize HDR, 3D grass and crowds along with new player related items to make their shots even more memorable: dreadlocks, bowl patches, heavy fog, increased player equipment & gear options, and more.

With 120 FBS programs, there is the need and desire by the development team to help make each team and school details as accurate as possible. Coming to NCAA Football 12 are more authentic team entrances (Auburn, Colorado, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia Tech, LSU, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas), along with updated uniforms (rest easy, Arizona State and Washington State fans), stadiums (Indiana), stadium signage (Oregon) and field art (Arizona State, East Carolina, Florida State, Ole Miss). The teams listed highlight just some of the changes coming to NCAA Football 12, they are not the full list.

Thanks to the help of the NCAA Football community, the development team was able to gather information quickly and efficiently for school Marching Band and cannon information. The best news? Both of them will be featured in NCAA Football 12! Bands are visible in the stands and both will be featured in cutscenes following big plays. Joining them in cutscenes will be coaches rallying their team – or maybe even jawing with officials.

The presentation of NCAA Football 12 also adds in GameTrack, montages, new between quarter highlight and score overlays, new stadium camera pans, special openings for BCS bowl games and some rivalry games, customizable Stadium Sounds situations for pregame (‘anticipation,’ ‘entrance,’ or both) and more. If you enjoyed the presentation in NCAA Football 11, you will be impressed by NCAA Football 12. As much as we’ve been able to disclose, there’s still significant new features yet to be announced.

Gameplay

NCAA Football 12 continues to build on gameplay, highlighted by the Enhanced tackling system and improved defensive zone coverage.

The Enhanced tackling system helps eliminate ‘suction’ from the game by no longer allowing players to engage in tackles or blocks until a collision begins actually takes place. Three-man gang tackles as well as double-hit tackles aid in the realism while a bevy of new tackle animations will let you see something new as you play the game.

The defense also receives a boost with improvements to zone coverage. Defenders will read receivers to help get their coverage responsibility, will carry them through zones, and will point to receivers as they leave their zone passing the assignment on. Man coverage also benefits as defenders will make moves based on what the receiver does – but they will no longer ‘mirror’ them.

Playbooks received a significant revamp with new authentic formations (such as TCU’s 4-2-5 Okie Across), nearly 150 new plays, as well as the standard yearly updates based on team changes. The playcall screen has received a slight makeover as users can now press the corresponding button to pick one of the three highlighted plays while moving left and right to select a different formation.

While the defense will have some teeth in NCAA Football 12, the offense can also boast of improvements. If you make the right read against improved defensive coverages, receivers can now catch the ball in stride and players can engage user controlled dive catches. As the dev team motion captured these new catches, they also added in new realistic animations for dropped passes. Improved ball and pylon physics also add to in-game realism.

This is just the start of NCAA Football 12. In the next few weeks and months we will hear about and be able to discuss all of the new features coming to the game on July 12.

As well, we have takes from other attendees representing The Gaming Tailgate:

As mentioned, stay tuned for more details about the game as well as the Community Events.

Comments 632 Comments
      skipwondah33 -
      Goodness those gameplay additions sound all kind of sexy lol
      gschwendt -
      To give a heads up, we'll be able to talk about anything that you would see inside a Play Now game. So any questions you have, fire away and we'll do our best to answer, though remember it was still a work in progress while we were there. We'll likely answer your question inside a podcast that we'll record either tonight or tomorrow.
      griffin2608 -
      When can you guys talk about Dynasty mode?
      gschwendt -
      Quote Originally Posted by griffin2608 View Post
      When can you guys talk about Dynasty mode?
      From here out, we'll only be able to talk about features and changes outside of a Play Now game after EA themselves have announced it.
      griffin2608 -
      Thank you.
      griffin2608 -
      during a play now mode did you have the option to choose a rivalry mode? If you did were there any different commentary/celebrations after the game?
      coogrfan -
      I'll ask the obvious question: in your opinion has the SuperLB swat issue been addressed?
      steelerfan -
      Quote Originally Posted by coogrfan View Post
      I'll ask the obvious question: in your opinion has the SuperLB swat issue been addressed?
      In my opinion, yes. I can't recall seeing any over-the-top LB jumping in my time with the game. It wasn't something I set out to look for, but it certainly didn't slap me in the face.
      ryby6969 -
      How did the defense feel to you G? Will it reward recruiting the high pursuit tackle linebackers? Also, do the ratings help determine how often the DB's still mess up in their coverage assignments? Thanks man.
      griffin2608 -
      How does the ball look? Is there a more realistic look to the trajectory or its physics?
      Oneback -
      Quote Originally Posted by coogrfan View Post
      Yes, I wish I would have taken a screen shot at the time, but I was able to routinely put touch on balls and drop it in behind the linebackers. I even asked at one point if the ball trajectory had been tweaked.
      ryby6969 -
      You lied to me OB! Came to Florida for "work" my ass!
      steelerfan -
      Quote Originally Posted by griffin2608 View Post
      How does the ball look? Is there a more realistic look to the trajectory or its physics?
      Ball physics have been improved. It's particularly noticeable when the ball comes to rest. It no longer comes to rest on it's nose. The trajectory seemed better too. Batted balls also act much, much more realistically than what we've seen in the past.
      griffin2608 -
      Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
      Ball physics have been improved. It's particularly noticeable when the ball comes to rest. It no longer comes to rest on it's nose. The trajectory seemed better too. Batted balls also act much, much more realistically than what we've seen in the past.
      Great, that was one of my biggest pet peeves.
      steelerfan -
      Quote Originally Posted by ryby6969 View Post
      We've all had to lie, lol. Don't hold it against us!
      ryby6969 -
      Could have at least picked me up! I am like 30-40 minutes away!
      griffin2608 -
      Did you guys play each other or were there times when you were facing the CPU? If you were able to play the CPU did you notice any differences in the AI? Did the teams play to their strengths?
      psusnoop -
      Quote Originally Posted by ryby6969 View Post
      Don't worry, I bit too.
      Paakaa10 -
      Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
      Especially in an epic game between myself and steelerfan where my defender tipped the ball at the line of scrimmage and his receiver caught it and fell into the endzone for a touchdown. Completed a comeback from down 14-0 for him and he ended up winning the game when he pick-6'ed my desperation heave to avoid overtime.