• Help Shape NCAA Football 12: Cannons

The NCAA Football team is reaching out to the community once again and wants your help in gathering team reference details for an item that will be included in NCAA Football 12. After asking for info on Cheerleader Chants & Band Locations several months ago, they now want your help in acquiring more team specific info - cannon locations.

The team is looking to find out what type of cannons a school uses at their home stadium (either the modern military style, or the classic “western” style), if the cannon is fired after every touchdown, and if the cannon is located inside the stadium (i.e. on the field).

Share your team - or any team you know - info in this thread with a video or photo reference, if possible. A written description would also work, but obviously a photo reference would be more beneficial. Continue on to read the request from the NCAA Football dev team.

We are looking to track down reference for cannon information for each school, so we would like to put it out to the community to help us track this info down to make sure we get everything as authentic as possible as we will be adding cannons into NCAA Football 12.

We are looking to find out what type of cannons a school uses at their home stadium (either the modern military style, or the classic “western” style), if the cannon is fired after every touchdown, and if the cannon is located inside the stadium (i.e. on the field).

Hopefully we will get responses as quickly and as detailed as we did for the band locations. Thanks again, guys!

Post your school's info - or any you know in this thread.
    Comments 194 Comments
      cdj -

Minnesota

Photo from MetroDome days.

Touchdown Cannon
      The Goal Line Club sponsors the Touchdown Cannon that is fired at all home games after touchdowns and field goals. We also take the cannon on the road once a year and to our BOWL GAME! - LINK

ArkHogs -
      "FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. --- They shoot up fireworks over a 30 x 107 foot video screen on the north side of Reynolds Razorback Stadium after every Arkansas score."
      http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories...a_548885.shtml
      cdj -

Washington State

Brought back in 2010, unsure if tradition will continue. - LINK

NatureBoy -
      At South Carolina, we don't fire any cannons. We have a rooster crow after TDs.
      ArkHogs -

The cannons fire from the pirate ship. It fires for touchdown and PAT.
      morsdraconis -
      Quote Originally Posted by ArkHogs View Post

The cannons fire from the pirate ship. It fires for touchdown and PAT.
      All they need to do for that one is copy what the Tampa Bay Bucs use. It's the exact same setup if I'm not mistaken.
      ArkHogs -
      Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
      All they need to do for that one is copy what the Tampa Bay Bucs use. It's the exact same setup if I'm not mistaken.
      Actually it's the same pirate ship. USF and Tampa Bay share Raymond James Stadium.
      cdj -
      From IrishBearcat at Tradition Football:

Cincinnati Bearcats do this as well after they score a touchdown, cannons are fired.
      ArkHogs -

"There was plenty of powdery ammunition - large expanses of unused, snow-covered seats in the 35,000-seat stadium. ROTC members built a snowman next to the cannon fired behind the end zone after every Bearcat score." http://www.gobearcats.com/sports/m-f...120410aaa.html

From IrishBearcat at Tradition Football:

Cincinnati Bearcats do this as well after they score a touchdown, cannons are fired.

RussellWilson -
      NC STATE has a modern cannon at the endzone closer to the scoreboard. They shoot it after every touchdown and field goal. and its inside the stadium
      baseballplyrmvp -
      i'm not 100% positive, but i'm pretty sure that hawaii shoots off fireworks after every warrior td at home
      Coachdenz -
      does not have a cannon
      cdj -

Ole Miss

From olemiss86 at Operation Sports:

From alterego2 via e-mail:

Here is a backstory about Miss Mary, the Ole Miss cannon. It is named in honor of Mary Wendell, the girlfriend of Jeremiah Gage, an Old Miss student in 1860 who left with his classmates to defend the South. All but about two of them were killed in the war; none returned to graduate. Gage was killed at Gettysburg, and many of his classmates were killed there in Pickett's charge. There are two monuments there on the field to the University Greys. Kappa Alpha manages the Ole Miss cannon and used to have a horse and rider come on the field.
      Paakaa10 -
      This is definitely proving to be a bit more difficult than locating band sections in the stadiums from earlier this year. I feel as though this is partially due to the fact that--while most colleges have bands--not all colleges are going to have a cannon. Unless we have somebody who knows with any certainty that a cannon is or is not used by a school, it will be difficult to say anything for sure until we find some direct measure of proof.

Good work so far though!
      cdj -

Oklahoma

No cannons; RUF/NEKS fire guns after each score.

From ruMorss at the EA Forums:
      Oklahoma Shoots off a gun like this after every touchdown.. Oh and after every field goal... Its located under the field goal post on the endzone away from the Big Scoreboard/ on the endzone with the little screen... They shoot 2 of them off at the same time...

gschwendt -
      Quote Originally Posted by Paakaa10 View Post
      This is definitely proving to be a bit more difficult than locating band sections in the stadiums from earlier this year. I feel as though this is partially due to the fact that--while most colleges have bands--not all colleges are going to have a cannon. Unless we have somebody who knows with any certainty that a cannon is or is not used by a school, it will be difficult to say anything for sure until we find some direct measure of proof.

Good work so far though!
      Yeah... I think it pretty much becomes that until we find definitive proof that they have one, then the assumption is that they don't.
      Paakaa10 -
      Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
      Yeah... I think it pretty much becomes that until we find definitive proof that they have one, then the assumption is that they don't.
      I've been trying to check out official college athletics sites and Wikipedia listings for football teams and stadiums to find any mention of cannons. Most of the college athletics sites have a "Traditions" page--which, for me, would be the logical place to mention a cannon used on game day--but I haven't been getting many hits on cannons aside from the Texas one I found earlier.
      ArkHogs -

Wyoming
      "For every home Cowboy Football game, a crew consisting of five to six cadets mans our 1943, 75mm mountain pack howitzer.The gun crews are trained how to load and fire the howitzer at a rapid pace for every point scored by the Cowboys." http://www.uwyo.edu/armyrotc/info.asp?p=484

EDIT (cdj) - From HS state championship game in Laramie, assuming same position for UW games

cdj -

Western Kentucky

In earlier years, The Brothers of Kappa Sigma at WKU lead the tradition of blasting a Cannon at the start and finish of every WKU football game, as well as whenever the Toppers scored. They were known as the Cannon Crew. The tradition was halted in the 90's but the cannon still exists. - LINK

ArkHogs -

Norther Illinois
      "the canon NIU fired after each score was blasting fireworks until the 3rd qtr" http://collegefootballquest.com/GameDetails.aspx?gid=55
      Sorry, that's all I could find on NIU.