• 25 New Plays Coming to NCAA Football 12

In addition to the first screenshot for NCAA Football 12, the EA SPORTS NCAA Football Facebook Page has released the first of 25 new plays that are coming to NCAA Football 12. The next five weeks will feature a new play each day, with the offense on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and the defense on Tuesday and Thursday.

To join in the discussion on the new Offensive Plays, visit this thread.
    To share your opinions on the new Defensive Plays, visit this thread.

From the Facebook page:
    "Over the next 5 weeks, we’ll be showing you 25 new plays that you’ll find in NCAA Football 12! You can expect to see a new offensive play every Monday/Wednesday/Friday and a new defensive play every Tuesday/Thursday. Each new play will be accompanied by a screen of the play art and a brief description of why the play has been added to NCAA Football 12. Let’s kick things off with the Pistol Full House HB Off Tackle!"

OFFENSE:

Pistol Full House HB Off Tackle (Play Art) – The Pistol Full House, aka the Diamond formation, was first unveiled last season by Oklahoma State and was later adopted by other teams across the country. A staple play of the three back pistol set is the HB Off Tackle play.

Shotgun Spread Flex Wk Y-Stick (Play Art) - Another spin on a staple play of the Air Raid offense that’s used by Houston, as well as others. Shotgun Spread Flex Wk Y Stick calls for the halfback to motion out of the backfield to the right. This motion puts him in a spot that allows the Y-Stick concept to develop.

DEFENSE:

Nickel Normal Cover 6 (Play Art) - Cover 6 is a split field coverage concept that has the secondary playing Cover 2 on one side of the field and Cover 4 on the other side. Add 2 plus 4 and you get 6, thus the name Cover 6.
    Comments 238 Comments
      HawkFan -
      I actually like the design of this play a lot. I use the Nevada playbook in one of my dynasties and while it can be a very good rushing playbook it has very limited types of rushing plays. Not sure you really need a certain type of team to run this play, I mean having a good fullback and a decent backup tailback and it should work fine,

I am very interested in seeing what else they reveal as far as plays go. This is a good start though in my mind.
      Solidice -
      I like the formation. I hope custom formation is in so I could use this formation without having the settle on another team's book.
      morsdraconis -
      Meh. The blocking is so piss poor, that play will never work. You'd have to have a superhuman offensive line to be able to block that play long enough for the back to get clear across the formation.
      CLW -
      Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
      Meh. The blocking is so piss poor, that play will never work. You'd have to have a superhuman offensive line to be able to block that play long enough for the back to get clear across the formation.
      That's a good point. I like that EA continues to add real life plays/formations. Of course, it doesn't matter if they plays will not work due to how the game plays.
      HawkFan -
      I have been using modified AA sliders from the TGT 360 dynasty for my dynasty with Duke. And I have had nothing over a B- offense and have led the country in rushing once, been 5th twice and top 25 the other two years. I do not have superhuman offensive lines, halfbacks, fullbacks or any position and I can move the ball. Guess it could be different styles of play. What level are you guys playing on?
      ryby6969 -
      Yeah, if you go against a team with a semi competent D-line this will be blown up in the backfield every time.
      HawkFan -
      Quote Originally Posted by ryby6969 View Post
      Yeah, if you go against a team with a semi competent D-line this will be blown up in the backfield every time.
      I'm not so sure about that. I mean I have run flexbone before and ran the wb sweep, and the other wb quick hitter to the outside (can't remember the name right now) that are very similar to this play and they all work pretty well and while not consistently, pretty well, If this play works anything like those two examples I am going to be more than pleased with it.
      ryby6969 -
      Quote Originally Posted by HawkFan View Post
      I'm not so sure about that. I mean I have run flexbone before and ran the wb sweep, and the other wb quick hitter to the outside (can't remember the name right now) that are very similar to this play and they all work pretty well and while not consistently, pretty well, If this play works anything like those two examples I am going to be more than pleased with it.
      That is assuming the backs pick up the guys on the outside that they are supposed to. The only way it will work consistently is if they have sped up the hand off animation.
      HawkFan -
      Quote Originally Posted by ryby6969 View Post
      That is assuming the backs pick up the guys on the outside that they are supposed to. The only way it will work consistently is if they have sped up the hand off animation.
      I agree with that if it's a standard turn and hand off it's going to be a little inconsistent, but if it's like the flexbone plays I mentioned it should be fine. Because in those plays the quarterback takes the handoff and turns to immediately hand the ball to the carrier. Agree with you that the back have to pick up the outside blocks but it's possible. Just trying to say to look at play art and write it off right away seems a little premature to me. But then again either of us could be right about it or wrong about it.
      xRomo9 -
      Nice, I hope the AI blocking is better like others have stated. It starts and ends there before anything else can happen.
      whitepony99 -
      I'm still voting for create a playbook with custom plays, I would love to create my own plays.
      HawkFan -
      Quote Originally Posted by whitepony99 View Post
      I'm still voting for create a playbook with custom plays, I would love to create my own plays.
      This +1000, I would love create a play and custom playbooks. But if I had to pick one or the other I would pick custom playbooks before custom plays.
      morsdraconis -
      Quote Originally Posted by HawkFan View Post
      I agree with that if it's a standard turn and hand off it's going to be a little inconsistent, but if it's like the flexbone plays I mentioned it should be fine. Because in those plays the quarterback takes the handoff and turns to immediately hand the ball to the carrier. Agree with you that the back have to pick up the outside blocks but it's possible. Just trying to say to look at play art and write it off right away seems a little premature to me. But then again either of us could be right about it or wrong about it.
      I'm not being premature at all. Try to run any HB Counter play out of any Shotgun formation and you will see what I mean. The blocking is atrocious in the trenches. Until they actually fix the game where players block with leverage (and thus get pushed around with leverage as well) this game will be nothing more than an arcade version of NCAA football where you find the plays that work and then abuse the hell out of them over and over again.
      gschwendt -
      I'm not being premature at all. Try to run any HB Counter play out of any Shotgun formation and you will see what I mean. The blocking is atrocious in the trenches. Until they actually fix the game where players block with leverage (and thus get pushed around with leverage as well) this game will be nothing more than an arcade version of NCAA football where you find the plays that work and then abuse the hell out of them over and over again.
      Actually, so long as you have two backside blockers in a Shotgun HB Counter, you'll have above average success. For example, run it out of Shotgun - Ace Big or even run it out of Shotgun - Slot and motion the WR and snap it as he is on the OT's back hip.
      HawkFan -
      Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
      Actually, so long as you have two backside blockers in a Shotgun HB Counter, you'll have above average success. For example, run it out of Shotgun - Ace Big or even run it out of Shotgun - Slot and motion the WR and snap it as he is on the OT's back hip.
      Thank you. Could not agree with this more. In my opinion and that is all it is, you have to be creative like a real football coach is when making some of these plays work. You can use motion and such to help a little. Think about it this way. There is no play in college football that works all the time , every play gets stuffed or fails to work at some point, and some of them do not work at all most of the time, depending on your talent and that of your opponent. I am not talking about being cheesy with it, and finding those five plays that work all the time and abusing them. I wish the game would send you a breakdown of your play calling with percentages of which plays you run and how often you run them, I doubt I would have a play over 10% for the season, I try every play, and not just once, I try them multiple times.

I have met people that say the end around never works and it's a piece of garbage on the game and I have personally used it for four or five touchdowns and probably average over 7 yards a carry with it. Does it get blown up in the backfield from time to time? Sure. Does it get me 2 or 3 yards sometimes. But then others it pops for a 45 yard touchdown.

I think this play will be like that. Like I said, I could very well be wrong, but then again I could very well be right.
      onikuno -
      BOOMER SOONER! OU perfected this formation late last year.
      Details -
      I'm thrilled with the addition of new plays (Madden is due for the same), but it emphasizes the necessity of custom playbooks.
      morsdraconis -
      Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
      How does any of that prevent the DT from blowing right up the middle in the wide open lane that's created by the pulling guard and getting to the hand off point sometimes before the QB even hands it off?

The only reason why it MIGHT work is if you're playing against someone that actually adjusts their defensive line out of the default setup. Against the computer, that play will NEVER work like it's supposed to.
      Kwizzy -
      How does any of that prevent the DT from blowing right up the middle in the wide open lane that's created by the pulling guard and getting to the hand off point sometimes before the QB even hands it off?

The only reason why it MIGHT work is if you're playing against someone that actually adjusts their defensive line out of the default setup. Against the computer, that play will NEVER work like it's supposed to.
      I do tend to semi-agree with you on the blocking, it still needs a great deal of work. I did think last year was a HUGE step in the right direction. I'd like to see more fine-tuning from this point on: make sure the right blocker is coming off the double to get to the second level depending on the play called, make sure blockers aren't indecisive or leaving blocks on Dlineman to get to linebackers when no one else is picking up the Dlineman, etc...

I do like that EA tries to continuously add new plays each year however I would like to see the plays that are currently in the game but don't quite work right get some more attention as well. Most notably WR jailbreak and bubble screens, Play action passes, QB Wraps and Zone Reads to name a few all need a bit of tweaking.
      gschwendt -

Seriously... just give it a try. I have success against both the CPU & HUM opponents. I haven't dissected it enough to say what happens after the ball snaps.