• How do you play NCAA Football?

Over the past few days, the official NCAA Football 11 twitter page has asked gamers some questions on their game preferences and playing style. By themselves, the questions may seem simple but together they can give a clearer picture on how each person plays the game differently.

• What is your favorite game mode in NCAA Football 11 and why?
    • Do you prefer to play Offense or Defense in NCAA Football 11?
    • What is your favorite play to run in NCAA Football 11 and why?
    • What is your favorite defensive formation to run in NCAA Football 11 and why?
    • Which side of the ball is your strength in NCAA Football 11?
    • When on Offense in NCAA Football 11, do you prefer to Run or Pass the ball?
    • When on Defense in NCAA Football 11, which position do you prefer to play and why?
    • On Defense, which position do you think is the most important and why?
    • When you win the coin toss in NCAA Football 11, do you prefer to put your Offense or your Defense on the field first?
    • How many games of NCAA Football 11 have you played Online this year?

Share your answers and thoughts with The Gaming Tailgate community.
    Comments 92 Comments
      psusnoop -
      * What is your favorite game mode in NCAA Football 11 and why?
      Online Dynasty, love the competition against other users. I enjoy recruiting against everyone.

* Do you prefer to play Offense or Defense in NCAA Football 11?
      I prefer Defense, though I to love touting the rock as well. Defense wins out though I need to tighten things up as of late.

* What is your favorite play to run in NCAA Football 11 and why?
      For me it is lining up in any I-Formation and running the ball. You know I'm going to run it, it's up to you if you can stop it.

* What is your favorite defensive formation to run in NCAA Football 11 and why?
      Anything that results in a stop or turnover. To be honest I mix things up enough that is hard for me to gauge. Maybe 3-2-6 Man.
      JeffHCross -
      Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
      [*]Which side of the ball is your strength in NCAA Football 11?
      Anybody who answers defense is lying (or, I suppose, interpreting the question in a different way than I). It's impossible for defense to be the overall strength in NCAA 11, which is half the problem. My personal strength in the series is defense ... but in 11 it's impossible to rely on your defense, so offense has to be the strength.
      cdj -
      Another new question posed to the community:

When on Offense in NCAA Football 11, do you prefer to Run or Pass the ball?
      AustinWolv -
      Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
      Another new question posed to the community:
      Prefer to run it, but take pleasure doing both, especially setting up a PA pass or going pass after pounding the ball to force the D to respond.

Tell them they need to work on the defense though, don't worry about the offense.
      morsdraconis -
      I-Form HB Dive FTW
      HWill -
      Which side of the ball is your strength in NCAA Football 11?

Offense, pretty much by default.

I prefer to run the ball, but I have no problem throwing the ball 30-50 times in a game if necessary.
      PDuncanOSU -
      •What is your favorite game mode in NCAA Football 11 and why?
      Lag when playing against other users is frustrating, but having friends teams to recruit against, compare stats against, and gameplan for keep the dynasty interesting many seasons in. I still enjoy offline dynasty, but lose interest after a couple seasons and will start with a new team.

•Do you prefer to play Offense or Defense in NCAA Football 11?
      I enjoy playing offense more, because I feel like I have more control over the success of the play.

•What is your favorite play to run in NCAA Football 11 and why?
      I'm not sure I have a favorite play... I do enjoy catching an agressive defense in a blitz and getting a big gain on a HB or WR screen.

•What is your favorite defensive formation to run in NCAA Football 11 and why?
      I like using the multiple playbook on defense. I like to recruit versatile players so that I can use the same personel in different defensive formations. I look for OLB with strength and pass rush skills along with some coverage skills to play DE/OLB, safeties with coverage skills as well as good strength and tackling to play nickelback so I can defend the run and pass out of nickel packages. I'm not a big fan of 4-2-5 or 3-3-5, I like the more traditional formations.

•Which side of the ball is your strength in NCAA Football 11?
      I definitely have better stick skills on the offensive side of the ball. My dynasty teams though, are typically stronger on defense. This is probably because I typically focus more on that side in recruiting and I do feel that I am pretty good at defensive playcalling and putting my best players in positiong to make plays.

•When on Offense in NCAA Football 11, do you prefer to Run or Pass the ball?
      I prefer a balanced, spread offense where I can be successful just taking what the defense gives me. I am typically better on offense though, when the passing game is more of a focus.
      steelerfan -

Though I joked about 689 Hook before, I actually enjoy Ace and I formations the most and love running the football. Power O!
      HawkFan -
      Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
      Anybody who answers defense is lying (or, I suppose, interpreting the question in a different way than I). It's impossible for defense to be the overall strength in NCAA 11, which is half the problem. My personal strength in the series is defense ... but in 11 it's impossible to rely on your defense, so offense has to be the strength.
      See I think we interpreted the question differently. I like the defensive side of the ball more because in this game it represents a lot more a challenge than the offensive side of the ball. That in itself making it more fun for me. Sometimes I find myself wanting to throw up 50 against the cpu and that's pretty attainable. But when I go out there and want to pitch a shutout or hold my opponent under 200 total yards, that is pretty hard. And there is the fun for me.
      Rudy -
      I prefer running the ball since I'm usually better at running than passing. I'm not exactly the second coming of Dan Marino.
      JeffHCross -
      Quote Originally Posted by HawkFan View Post
      See I think we interpreted the question differently. I like the defensive side of the ball more because in this game it represents a lot more a challenge than the offensive side of the ball. That in itself making it more fun for me.
      Oh, you and I are in total agreement. But the question was "which is your strength", not "which is your favorite". They had an earlier question that was "do you prefer" ... your answer fits that one pretty well, and I completely agree with. I'm fine with, and sometimes prefer, 7-3 games rather than 27-23. But there's no way defense is my strength in this year's game. More often than not I'm holding on for dear life.

baseballplyrmvp -
      i consider offense my strength.
      Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
      But there's no way defense is my strength in this year's game. More often than not I'm holding on for dear life.
      same here.... and in a close game, i'll even debate whether or not to go all out on getting a defensive stop or give up a quick touchdown, just so i can have the last seconds on a clock. usually i decide to go all out on defense, and it 8 out of 10 times, it ends badly for me.
      JeffHCross -
      Quote Originally Posted by baseballplyrmvp View Post
      same here.... and in a close game, i'll even debate whether or not to go all out on getting a defensive stop or give up a quick touchdown, just so i can have the last seconds on a clock. usually i decide to go all out on defense, and it 8 out of 10 times, it ends badly for me.
      Yeah, especially since your opponent can essentially control the clock themselves. Unless you're able to do so badly that you end up giving a 1-play scoring drive, "letting" your opponent score still ends up running most of the clock.
      xMrHitStickx904 -
      I'm used to just locking people down. Not so in NCAA 11. So offense has to be my strength.
      cdj -
      The latest question posed:

When on Defense in NCAA Football 11, which position do you prefer to play and why?
      steelerfan -
      When on Defense in NCAA Football 11, which position do you prefer to play and why?
      I play NT/LDT/LE nearly exclusively. First, it puts me in the middle of the action on nearly every play. Second, it keeps me from blowing coverage responsibilities (particularly when a receiver is off screen) and I can always switch if need be. I just feel that controlling the LOS is more important (for me) than patrolling the secondary. I can help create constant pressure (or at least the threat of it) which makes my coverage better and helps tip the scales against poor coverage AI. I've read a lot of the "if you play on the DL, you're letting the CPU play defense for you" comments and I just don't buy it.
      HWill -

Usually I play any of the Linebacker or Safety spots. No real specific reason, it's just what I have always done.
      PDuncanOSU -
      I typically play strong safety because I can be involved pretty heavily in run and pass defense. Against the run, my line and linebackers typically take on the blockers allowing me to come up and make the play. When defending the pass, I don't often have to worry about the receiver I'm guarding or my zone being off the screen.
      Rudy -
      I normally play a LB but struggle in pass coverage. Playing pass coverage on the PS3 has been too hard due to the lack of momentum of players. CPU players cut way too fast and you can't make enough plays. But I don't want to play DL the whole time either. I'll play a DE in obvious passing situations sometimes and I'll also play a S once in awhile. I will never use a CB. Just asking for trouble.
      JeffHCross -
      Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
      I play NT/LDT/LE nearly exclusively. First, it puts me in the middle of the action on nearly every play. Second, it keeps me from blowing coverage responsibilities (particularly when a receiver is off screen) and I can always switch if need be.
      This +1,000.