• How do you play NCAA Football?

Over the past few days, the official NCAA Football 11 twitter page has asked gamers some questions on their game preferences and playing style. By themselves, the questions may seem simple but together they can give a clearer picture on how each person plays the game differently.

• What is your favorite game mode in NCAA Football 11 and why?
    • Do you prefer to play Offense or Defense in NCAA Football 11?
    • What is your favorite play to run in NCAA Football 11 and why?
    • What is your favorite defensive formation to run in NCAA Football 11 and why?
    • Which side of the ball is your strength in NCAA Football 11?
    • When on Offense in NCAA Football 11, do you prefer to Run or Pass the ball?
    • When on Defense in NCAA Football 11, which position do you prefer to play and why?
    • On Defense, which position do you think is the most important and why?
    • When you win the coin toss in NCAA Football 11, do you prefer to put your Offense or your Defense on the field first?
    • How many games of NCAA Football 11 have you played Online this year?

Share your answers and thoughts with The Gaming Tailgate community.
    Comments 92 Comments
      morsdraconis -
      Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
      What is your favorite game mode in NCAA Football 11 and why?
      Online Dynasty - because it's dynasty but against other people

Do you prefer to play Offense or Defense in NCAA Football 11?
      Defense

What is your favorite play to run in NCAA Football 11 and why?
      This is a dumb fuckin' question.
      cdj -
      - OD. I wish we had coaching and conference offers online, but it's still a blast. Not even sure they could add the offers. Seems like it'd be a significant undertaking.
      - If I am shutting someone down, I might say D. Otherwise, it's almost always offense. I like playing keepaway and not letting my foe get into a rhythm.
      - Any sort of run outside. I enjoy it when the blocking works out perfectly versus the D and I can bust out a big run.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
      This is a dumb fuckin' question.
      If they use it to flesh out money plays, it isn't. Just checking through the responses on twitter, answers are pretty varied, surprisingly enough.
      HWill -
      • Can't really say I have a "favorite" mode. I play them all.
      • Definitely offense.
      JeffHCross -
      Online Dynasty - It's completely changed how I play the NCAA series. I'm a dynasty mode guy through and through ... in every sports game I play, I always go straight to career mode. But until a few years ago, I'd never even played in an online league. Then Online Dynasty came in NCAA 09, and I've barely played offline dynasties since.

On any other version of the game, I'd say defense. I prefer to shut down my opponents or at least stop them more than they stop me. It's satisfying to win a defensive battle.

But, on NCAA 11, that's practically impossible. So it's Offense by default for NCAA 11.

Anything that catches my opponent off guard and gives me a positive outcome.
      steelerfan -
      - I still think it's offline Dynasty. The connection issues experienced this year and the overall pace still make online Dynasties better on paper than in practice for me. I like the ability to knock out multiple weeks in one evening. There's nothing more frustrating to me than waiting 2 or 3 days for the last guy to play his game (especially when it's the same guy practically every week, lol). Therefore, the pace and continuity of offline is still superior to me.

- Offense. Defense can feel like the old cartoons of trying to plug holes in a dam with your fingers and toes.

- 689 Hook. (I'm kidding, I think some of you will get it ).

- 4-3
      hillbill -

Easily offline dynasty. Been a huge geek with that mode since NCAA 2001. Online dynasty sounds intriguing, but I would have to be in the perfect group to enjoy.

I'd like to give props to a mode that gets no attention and that is the Single Button Mode. My five year old son has really learned alot about the game and more importantly football, by being able to play this mode. He is a future NCAA junkie!

I like both equally well. I just seem better at Defense though.

Weird question. Anyone one that works I guess...duh!
      souljahbill -
      1) What is your favorite game mode in NCAA Football 11 and why?

Offline Dynasty. I had a single player online dynasty going but there were too many issues with the servers and things getting uploaded and at the time, there was the 20 minute wait limit to advance a week. I switched to offline and have been good ever since. Hopefully, Online Dynasty works better in 12 so I can try it again.

2) Do you prefer to play Offense or Defense in NCAA Football 11?

Offense because I feel like I have more control of my fate as opposed to playing defense. No touchdown gets me as excited as stuffing a 4th and 1 run however.

3) What is your favorite play to run in NCAA Football 11 and why?

I don't have a favorite play. I try really hard not to call any play more then twice.
      baseballplyrmvp -
      •What is your favorite game mode in NCAA Football 11 and why?
      online and offline dynasty. online d's are fun with friends but sometimes its nice to play by myself.

•Do you prefer to play Offense or Defense in NCAA Football 11?
      there's defense in this game? never noticed it before. offense is way easier

•What is your favorite play to run in NCAA Football 11 and why?
      no favorites. i try to call at least 30-40 different plays a game.

•What is your favorite defensive formation to run in NCAA Football 11 and why?
      i dont really have a favorite defensive formation since i'm more concerned about trying to get one stop throughout the course of the game. i'm more into trying to find something that works....i call most of my defenses out of the 4-3 and 4-2-5, though, if thats what this is asking?
      HawkFan -
        Online dynasty by far. I used to love playing just regular dynasty mode but now being able to play with people all over the country makes it that much more enjoyable. I would like to see the things from offline get added to online though. Such as coach contracts, job offers, etc.
        Defense, I find it a lot more challenging than offense in the game so I am always looking for a way to make my defense as dominant as my offense.
        Let's see I have run an option attack, a spread attack, a pro attack and a one back attack at some point on NCAA 11. Some of the biggest plays I have ever had have been from the end around and they seem the most satisfying when they work.
        I switch between the 4-3 and 3-4 on defense depending on my personnel, I stay away from the 3-3-5 and 4-2-5 because I have no clue how they are supposed to work and it seems I get burned a lot when using them.
      AustinWolv -
      What is your favorite defensive formation to run in NCAA Football 11 and why?
      1. Dynasty/Online dynasty
      2. Offense, since defense is limited
      3. Power off-tackle runs......because they usually work decently or for big gainers, and they are a staple of solid running attacks almost universally.
      4. 4-3..........solid against multiple looks, doesn't get blown off the ball on the ground....well, until homefield advantage BS kicks in....
      CLW -

Online Dynasty. I just wish there were coaching contracts and conference invites.

Neither. However, Defense is pretty limited in the series so offensive playcalling is more enjoyable.

I don't really have a favorite play but I prefer to call plays out of bunch sets which creates all sorts of matchup problems.

I don't really have a favorite. I'd have to say the 4-3 as a base defense and the 2-4-5 nickle and 3-2-6 dime in 3rd and long situations.
      morsdraconis -

3-4 is amazing and the best formation
      JeffHCross -
      4-2-5. I grew to love it with NCAA 09, when I found it very effective at stopping the offenses I was facing while at Air Force. I use it whenever my personnel allows, and I've paid even more attention to TCU in the last few years because of their 4-2-5.
      JHeb -
      1-Online Dynasty w/o a doubt...It's amazing and can only get better if they'll add Coaching Carousel and Dynasty Invites/Dynasty Expansion (U/C).

2-Offense but nothing feels better than shutting the other user or CPU down when they need a scoring drive or on a goalline stand.

3-No favorite plays really. Whatever works for me that game, that week, vs. that team.

4-I vary on fav. defensive scheme to use. I tend to go 335 v. users who like to run then I use lots of 425 vs. the CPU. I also like to switch it up and go Multiple some. I never end up in 34 or 43 for some reason. Honestly, anything I do on defense feels like I'm just guessing at it anyway. I have no realy strategy. I wish I did. I want to know more about D.
      gschwendt -
      -What is your favorite game mode in NCAA Football 11 and why?
      Online Dynasty... no question. Even before ODs I would participate in leagues which is what got me addicted to NCAA. In ODs though, you get to add in my favorite part (recruiting) and build your program over time.

-Do you prefer to play Offense or Defense in NCAA Football 11?
      Defense... just because offense at times can be too easy, I prefer the challenge of building up a defense to suit my needs.

-What is your favorite play to run in NCAA Football 11 and why?
      Really hard to answer that one... probably as of recent it would be Strong-I Tight HB Off Tackle... with two TEs and an offset FB, the defense pretty much knows exactly where it's coming, try to stop it.

-What is your favorite defensive formation to run in NCAA Football 11 and why?
      3-3-5 Split, with an OLB on the line of scrimmage, it gives the look of a 4-2-5 but with more flexibility as to who I'm sending in as a 4th rusher. As well, I have a few tricks up my sleeve from that formation.
      morsdraconis -
      You bunch of sissies running your lame ass non-traditional defensive alignments. Be a man and stop them with the 3-4 or the 4-3.
      Rudy -

Over the past few days, the official NCAA Football 11 twitter page has asked gamers some questions on their game preferences and playing style. By themselves, the questions may seem simple but together they can give a clearer picture on how each person plays the game differently.

Share your answers and thoughts with The Gaming Tailgate community.
      Offline dyansty 100%.

I prefer playing on offense because there aren't enough options on defense (fronts and plays). The lack of player momentum really hurts playing pass defense. Plus I'd like to see a dedicated defensive camera outside of player lock.

No favourite plays on offense. I like to mix it up and I do agree it's kind of a dumb question.

I prefer running the 3-4. A lot more blitz variety. 4-3 gets old.
      RussellWilson -
      Offline Dynasty because I like playing by myself. It's better because of how you can control everything and it's not that laggy as online. I hope that EA keeps Offline Dynasty.
      I have to go with offense because I'm a beast with Pro Style offense.
      Hail Merry because I'm a beast like that.
      4 - 3
      cdj -
      A new question asked this morning:

• Which side of the ball is your strength in NCAA Football 11?
      morsdraconis -
      Defense. Yes, I know it sounds insane, but it's always been my strength (and my preference when building teams). The only problem is, it looks like a weakness now because EA has mirrored real college so much to where it's basically hope and pray that you actually stop someone.