• How do you play NCAA Football?

Over the past few days, the official NCAA Football 11 twitter page has asked gamers some questions on their game preferences and playing style. By themselves, the questions may seem simple but together they can give a clearer picture on how each person plays the game differently.

• What is your favorite game mode in NCAA Football 11 and why?
    • Do you prefer to play Offense or Defense in NCAA Football 11?
    • What is your favorite play to run in NCAA Football 11 and why?
    • What is your favorite defensive formation to run in NCAA Football 11 and why?
    • Which side of the ball is your strength in NCAA Football 11?
    • When on Offense in NCAA Football 11, do you prefer to Run or Pass the ball?
    • When on Defense in NCAA Football 11, which position do you prefer to play and why?
    • On Defense, which position do you think is the most important and why?
    • When you win the coin toss in NCAA Football 11, do you prefer to put your Offense or your Defense on the field first?
    • How many games of NCAA Football 11 have you played Online this year?

Share your answers and thoughts with The Gaming Tailgate community.
    Comments 92 Comments
      mundo -
      -What is your favorite game mode in NCAA Football 11 and why?
      I am all offline dynasty for the same exact reason Joshuahuskers brings up

-Do you prefer to play Offense or Defense in NCAA Football 11?
      I prefer to play offense because I just don't think the concepts are there on defense to be able to adjust as well as they are on offense (not that offense is perfect)

-What is your favorite play to run in NCAA Football 11 and why?
      Not really sure I have one favorite play. If the question is what play do I call most by sheer frequency I would say read option in attempt to get some running game going as I build up my teams vs the big dogs.

-What is your favorite defensive formation to run in NCAA Football 11 and why?
      I go 3-4 because as an Aggie if I don't I have to hand in my ring and maroon car (sarcasm). I do think the 3-4 gives me the best shot to adjust where I blitz from and change things up but that could be because I just know it better. It is also a ton of fun to recruit really good LBs that become badasses.

-Which side of the ball is your strength in NCAA Football 11?
      My strength is definitely offense but that is probably because the defense is lacking some fundamental concepts that give the Offense a huge advantage. Many instances my offensive success is not because they made a bad play call, its just because their player doesn't align right or go to the right place.

-When on Offense in NCAA Football 11, do you prefer to Run or Pass the ball?
      I like being as balanced as possible but it is really cool when a power run works out well

-When on Defense in NCAA Football 11, which position do you prefer to play and why?
      I have mostly played the rush end. If I think they might run I am the DE/OLB on the strong/TE side, but if I think they are passing I go weak side. I do this mostly to make sure I am there to help against the run (which the CPU almost exclusively does strong side) and/or get a pass rush. However, recently I have been playing the MLB when he is a robber over the middle to help against the pass in case my DBs get rubbed off of WRs. I can't think of any other way to adjust

-How many points a game do you average on Offense in NCAA Football 11?
      Nowhere near as many as I could if I wanted to. I typically force running the ball and slow down the offense in an attempt to keep the scores fairly in line with those on Saturdays... which are still pretty high these days...

-On Defense, which position do you think is the most important and why?
      Gonna go with Safety with the way I play defense because I play a ton of 3-4 (even vs 3wr sets) and put my safety in man vs WR. If I have a really good safety that can cover, I can bring 5 every play to stuff the run game and harass the QB. When I have a bad safety, I have to start going back to the standard nickel and, if the CPU mixes it up well, they are able to run better - especially vs hurry up teams. Either way they still have moments against my safety because I just don't trust calling a zone and the matchup for them is rough.

-When you win the coin toss in NCAA Football 11, do you prefer to put your Offense or your Defense on the field first?
      always defer and get the choice for the ball in the second half

How many games of NCAA Football 11 have you played Online this year?
      none, sadly.
      Geauxlden -
      What is your favorite game mode in NCAA Football 11 and why?
      Offline Dynasty-I love program building. I like the competition against other users that you can get from an online dynasty but generally need to play according to my own schedule because of work and family.

Do you prefer to play Offense or Defense in NCAA Football 11?
      Offense-Playing defense just feels repetitive for the most part. Offense has a little variety to it.

What is your favorite play to run in NCAA Football 11 and why?
      Zone Read-It has become one of the core plays in high school and college football and I'm glad that it's finally been added to the game.

What is your favorite defensive formation to run in NCAA Football 11 and why?
      3-3-5 Stack-I rarely use teams that play this defense, but I like the different things that you can do out of it.

Which side of the ball is your strength in NCAA Football 11?
      Offense

When on Offense in NCAA Football 11, do you prefer to Run or Pass the ball?
      Run-It feels better when you can get your run game going.

When on Defense in NCAA Football 11, which position do you prefer to play and why?
      DL-I always use a DT or DE. I like to try to make a play up front.

How many points a game do you average on Offense in NCAA Football 11?
      Mid 30s

On Defense, which position do you think is the most important and why?
      Safety-last line of defense, it helps to have playmakers on the back end.

When you win the coin toss in NCAA Football 11, do you prefer to put your Offense or your Defense on the field first?
      Defense-I like getting the ball to start the 2nd half.

How many games of NCAA Football 11 have you played Online this year?
      None
      cdj -
      The latest question:

DYNASTY QUESTION: When recruiting in NCAA Football 11, what position do you target first and why?
      CLW -
      DYNASTY QUESTION: When recruiting in NCAA Football 11, what position do you target first and why?

The position my team is in need of the most.

After that I tend to stock pile extra Wide Receivers and Cornerbacks.
      psuexv -
      Any #1's at their position that have me #1 followed by position needs.
      steelerfan -
      Needs come first, followed by the best players who have me high on their list.
      MCdonnieG -
      Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
      I'm with most on recruiting based on what is needed..but I always try to recruit a beastly FS. One about 6 to 6'3''....40 time b/t 4.3 to 4.5
      gschwendt -
      Safety is usually one of my primary targets simply because I use the 3-3-5 and great safeties that can cover (both man & zone) and tackle are at a premium. After that it'd probably be linebackers but that's usually because they're so hard for me to sign for some reason.
      JeffHCross -
      Quote Originally Posted by psuexv View Post
      Any #1's at their position that have me #1 followed by position needs.
      Ah, the advantages of USC recruiting

I do a Self-Scout of all of my needs, identify who I need where, then go through searching my school's rankings -- i.e. I search through all the players that have me #1, then Top 3, then Top 5, adding everyone to my board that catches my eye.
      psuexv -
      Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
      psusnoop -
      Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post

Needs is what I try to shoot for. I do keep the ones that have me #1 on my board though and if I get a few commits I go after them as well. Which shows if you looked at my depth at QB, just crazy deep. I'm like G though with his LB'rs because I can't get a DT interested in my school it seems.
      mundo -
      a combination of need and the best player that has interest in me