• How do you play NCAA Football?

Over the past few days, the official NCAA Football 11 twitter page has asked gamers some questions on their game preferences and playing style. By themselves, the questions may seem simple but together they can give a clearer picture on how each person plays the game differently.

• What is your favorite game mode in NCAA Football 11 and why?
    • Do you prefer to play Offense or Defense in NCAA Football 11?
    • What is your favorite play to run in NCAA Football 11 and why?
    • What is your favorite defensive formation to run in NCAA Football 11 and why?
    • Which side of the ball is your strength in NCAA Football 11?
    • When on Offense in NCAA Football 11, do you prefer to Run or Pass the ball?
    • When on Defense in NCAA Football 11, which position do you prefer to play and why?
    • On Defense, which position do you think is the most important and why?
    • When you win the coin toss in NCAA Football 11, do you prefer to put your Offense or your Defense on the field first?
    • How many games of NCAA Football 11 have you played Online this year?

Share your answers and thoughts with The Gaming Tailgate community.
    Comments 92 Comments
      HawkFan -
      Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
      This +1,000.
      Yep, I always use a d-lineman for this reason.
      morsdraconis -
      I need to start using d-linemen again instead of playing the safety, but there are some coverage plays that I use where I have to play the safety to cover a larger part of the field than normal.
      HawkFan -
      Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
      I need to start using d-linemen again instead of playing the safety, but there are some coverage plays that I use where I have to play the safety to cover a larger part of the field than normal.
      See even when I tried to do this on this version and other versions of the game I would do more damage than good when it came to covering pass plays. That's why I stick to playing a d-lineman and then click over after the play go away from me or the ball is in the air. That way I do not have to worry about screwing up the coverage but I can user pick passes and flow to the ball with unblocked linebackers and such.
      Rudy -
      Quote Originally Posted by HawkFan View Post
      See even when I tried to do this on this version and other versions of the game I would do more damage than good when it came to covering pass plays. That's why I stick to playing a d-lineman and then click over after the play go away from me or the ball is in the air. That way I do not have to worry about screwing up the coverage but I can user pick passes and flow to the ball with unblocked linebackers and such.
      I'm curious if you felt the same way with pass coverage on the ps2? I maintain the lack of player momentum has made pass coverage too hard on the PS3 to the point it's impossible to cover people. On the PS2 I could cover and get a few user picks every season. I average about 1 user pick every 75 games on the ps3. EA has to improve this if they want to make playing defense more fun IMO.
      JStein2469 -
      Game mode? Offline Dynasty
      O or D? Defense
      Fav. Play? Ugh, too many to pick from, but plays that attack the middle of the field.
      Defensive Formation? Dollar. Good mix of coverage and run stopping ability.
      Side of the ball thats my strength? I'd go with defense.
      HawkFan -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
      I'm curious if you felt the same way with pass coverage on the ps2? I maintain the lack of player momentum has made pass coverage too hard on the PS3 to the point it's impossible to cover people. On the PS2 I could cover and get a few user picks every season. I average about 1 user pick every 75 games on the ps3. EA has to improve this if they want to make playing defense more fun IMO.
      Back when I had a ps2 and played the game on that I would always use the middle linebacker or the free safety and I never had the problems in coverage like I do now. It's funny I think I started using the dlineman once I got the game on xbox 360. Hmm, that is something I have never thought about.
      xGRIDIRONxGURUx -
      Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
      - I still think it's offline Dynasty. The connection issues experienced this year and the overall pace still make online Dynasties better on paper than in practice for me. I like the ability to knock out multiple weeks in one evening. There's nothing more frustrating to me than waiting 2 or 3 days for the last guy to play his game (especially when it's the same guy practically every week, lol). Therefore, the pace and continuity of offline is still superior to me.
      thats not an OD issue thats a commish issue for letting lazy people play in their OD...

"E"
      JeffHCross -
      Quote Originally Posted by xGRIDIRONxGURUx View Post
      thats not an OD issue thats a commish issue for letting lazy people play in their OD...
      Okay, no matter how many non "lazy" people you get ... you're never going to knock out multiple weeks in one night. Except maybe Offseason weeks, which wasn't what he's talking about.
      morsdraconis -
      Okay, no matter how many non "lazy" people you get ... you're never going to knock out multiple weeks in one night. Except maybe Offseason weeks, which wasn't what he's talking about.
      I'd say he was talking more about how you inevitably have to wait 2 or 3 days for some slow fuck to play his game because he can't find an hour out of his busy schedule to sit down and beat the hell out of FCS West with Texas.
      JeffHCross -
      Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
      I'd say he was talking more about how you inevitably have to wait 2 or 3 days for some slow fuck to play his game because he can't find an hour out of his busy schedule to sit down and beat the hell out of FCS West with Texas.
      Yes, of course he was talking about that.

But he also said he likes to knock multiple games out in one night. That's never going to happen in an OD. Ever.
      bogeyexpress -
      What is your favorite game mode in NCAA Football 11 and why?
      Online Dynasty - You can start with any team you want, a 6* or a 1* and build. Recruiting gets old after a while for me, but building my team into "my" team is very fun. Having enough CPU games to balance the user games makes for a long and glorious experience.
      Do you prefer to play Offense or Defense in NCAA Football 11?
      Offense - Defense doesn't seem to respond like I want it to. I also like reading the defense and finding the correct offensive play(s) to defeat it.
      What is your favorite play to run in NCAA Football 11 and why?
      I don't really have a favorite play, but enjoy using all different kinds of offenses.
      What is your favorite defensive formation to run in NCAA Football 11 and why?
      I run the 3-4 generally, but have gone to the Multiple D PB. Right now I am partial to the 46 inside blitz with mods for QB pressure.
      Which side of the ball is your strength in NCAA Football 11?
      Offense
      When on Offense in NCAA Football 11, do you prefer to Run or Pass the ball?
      It's all based on down and distance for me. I try to remain balanced. I find that makes it tougher for the defense to predict what's coming.
      When on Defense in NCAA Football 11, which position do you prefer to play and why?
      When the game cycle began, I used DE, then shortly after switched to MLB and now FS. I do go back to MLB occasionally, but mostly FS/SS now.
      xGRIDIRONxGURUx -
      That's never going to happen in an OD. Ever.
      thats why my point is the obvious fix... you can at least be stream-lined through the season... then if you have to wait maybe 2 days to get your off-season done its not so bad... just helping out... keeping people focused on things WE CAN HELP... while they work on the things we cant...

"E"
      JeffHCross -
      :: shrug :: Whatever.
      cdj -
      The latest question posed:

How many points a game do you average on Offense in NCAA Football 11?
      JeffHCross -
      Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
      Way, way, way too much.
      morsdraconis -
      ~28-35 a game depending on the team.

User vs user games in ODs are usually shootouts because most people are far more adept at offense than they are defense.

The thing is this though: The games are REALLY REALLY fun when they come down to the last possession to score to win/lose or the last possession in double or triple OT having stopped your opponent from scoring a TD and needing a TD to win it. Sucks when you lose, but man alive, college football is so damn exciting when that stuff happens in real life and I always feel the same way when I'm playing a game and it comes down to that.
      Rudy -
      Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
      It would be a lot easier to know how many points a game I scored it they didn't remove user stats from the game for no good reason.
      HWill -

Way, way, way too much.
      This.
      baseballplyrmvp -

5 minute quarters: 21-28
      6 minute quarters: ~28
      7 minute quarters: ~40+
      15 minute quarters: 150+
      cdj -
      Latest question:

On Defense, which position do you think is the most important and why?