• Game of the Week Preview: Auburn vs. Alabama

Last season, upset minded Auburn pushed Alabama to the brink before falling 26-21 to the eventual National Champions. This year, Alabama hopes to knock Auburn out of title contention by winning the Iron Bowl on Friday.

The Crimson Tide have taken everyone's best shot, with six conference foes having a bye week before playing Alabama. A team that is young and inexperienced at spots still finds itself in the top 10 and with a 9-2 record. South Carolina ended their undefeated streak at 19 games in early October with a 35-21 win before the Tide fell at LSU 24-21 a month later to end any chance of repeating as National Champs.

Auburn has used skill and luck as they have racked up a 11-0 record while overcoming rumors and speculation surrounding stand-out QB Cam Newton. By defeating Alabama and then South Carolina in the SEC Championship game, the Tigers will be playing for the National Championship. However, they have the toughest remaining road to Glendale among the four undefeated teams (Auburn, Boise State, Oregon, TCU).

Click Read More for a video preview of Auburn vs. Alabama and then vote on who you think will win the game.

Spoiler: show
    Alabama 10, Auburn 3

Player of the Game:
    Alabama QB Greg McElroy – 13 of 17, 1 TD

Leaders:

Passing
    Auburn QB Cam Newton – 14 of 24, 186 yards, 1 INT
    Alabama QB Greg McElroy – 13 of 17, 1 TD

Rushing
    Auburn HB Onterio McCalebb – 7 attempts, 13 yards
    Alabama HB Mark Ingram – 18 attempts, 47 yards

Receiving
    Auburn WR Emory Blake – 4 receptions, 80 yards
    Alabama TE Michael Williams – 2 receptions, 59 yards

Scoring Summary

1st Quarter
    3:14 FG Bama C. Foster, 42 yard FG
    0:25 TD Bama: J. Jones, 6 yard pass from G. McElroy (C. Foster kick)

2nd Quarter
    1:01 FG Aub: W. Byrum, 25 yard FG

3rd Quarter
    (none)

4th Quarter
    (none)
    Comments 11 Comments
      Rudy -
      Bama is favoured by 4.5 but I just don't think people are giving enough respect to Auburn. Yes Auburn's defense isn't very good but Bama's isn't as good as past years either. Auburn moved the ball against LSU and they will move the ball against Bama. I think Saban would be wise to ditch the Pistol and play some real smash mouth football in this game. I think they get in trouble the further they get away from just pounding the rock with Ingram and Richardson. I don't think McElroy is much more than a game manager and I don't care if you have Julio Jones. Saban shouldn't strive to be balanced in this game imo.
      Coachdenz -
      problem with pounding the ball is that's Auburn's strength on D, also Bama has a starting Guard that's going to be out. When Bama run's the ball they have better
      success running out of the pistol, but I do agree, I think if Bama can keep it close and pound them, Auburn's D will wear out. Farley is one tuff DT, but sucks alot of wind in the 2nd half.

Auburn will sell out to stop the run just like last year, if Bama can hit a few Play action passes will help.
      steelerfan -
      Nice job, cdj. Thanks.

FWIW, I have Bama in this one. However, a large portion of that is wishful.
      cdj -
      I'm going with Alabama. Auburn has been in quite a few close games and I can see the defending champs being able to slow down Newton and the AU offense enough to pull out a win.
      cdj -
      Bama up 14-0 with 8:39 left in 1st quarter. :eek:
      xGRIDIRONxGURUx -
      i wish that Oregon can win out and play Bama for NC... thats the only defense that i would truly be afraid of... Cal gave us a scare but we were so sloppy... man Bama is spanking them right now...

"E"
      Rudy -
      I guess we see what Saban thought of my gameplan lol.

The Iron Bowl is just showing what a strong defense, particularly a strong DL, can do to the running game of a spread offense. You HAVE to be able to pass the ball in these situations and being down a bunch at halftime will force Auburn to do so. It's the one big criticism I have of Rich Rod's offense - he is too hell bent on running the ball out of his offense at times.
      JeffHCross -
      Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
      Bama up 14-0 with 8:39 left in 1st quarter. :eek:
      Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh ... that didn't end well.
      xGRIDIRONxGURUx -
      HOLY COW... i left and went with my mom to shop for the grandkids (my kids) at half time because i really didnt see a chance of a come back lol boy do i hate myself for missing that... hats off to Auburn... good luck with SC in the SEC champ... you are GOING TO NEED IT...

"E"
      Rudy -
      The funny thing is when Bama was up 21-0 Trent Richardson dropped an easy 5 yard TD pass that Bama ended up just getting 3 points on. I kind of wondered if that would come back to haunt them but didn't think too much of it since Bama was destroying them at the time. Wow! And then Boise blows it!

Looks like Oregon vs. Auburn in the big game! Two non traditional offenses where the QBs run the ball quite a bit. C'mon EA! Get that better in the game! I'm starting to wonder if I should have voted for wider line splits in the tournament. They need to make sure the read option plays are more effective next year - especially for the cpu.
      xGRIDIRONxGURUx -
      i voted for wider line splits... and i use a good set of sliders that really make the spread option pop... and even sometimes you will face a DE that slow plays just like real life... love them...

"E"