• Game of the Week Preview: LSU vs. Auburn

The week's Game of the Week Preview takes us to LSU vs. Auburn for a showdown between two undefeated 7-0 squads in which the winner will stand alone atop the SEC West.

What LSU lacks in offensive firepower, they make up for in luck. The Tigers have emerged victorious in close games against North Carolina, West Virginia, Tennessee, and Florida. While the offense has struggled (92nd nationally in total offense), the defense has been spectacular (3rd nationally in total defense). LSU is led by all-around talent, Patrick Peterson. The junior from Pompano Beach, FL has been a lockdown CB on the defensive side of the ball and a threat on special teams, ranking fourth nationally in punt returns and 18th in kick returns.

Auburn has also put a strain on the heart of their fans with their share of close victories against Mississippi State, Clemson, South Carolina, and Kentucky. Dual-threat QB Cam Newton leads the Tigers averaging over 300 yards of total offense, including 123 YPG on the ground. The Auburn defense allows 367 yards per game and was torched for 566 total yards in their last outing, a 65-43 comeback win versus Arkansas.

Will LSU's luck continue or will Auburn's offense prove to be too much? Click Read More to see the video preview of LSU vs. Auburn.

Spoiler: show

LSU 26, Auburn 10

Player of the Game:
    LSU QB Jordan Jefferson - 16 of 25, 343 yards, 2 TD

Leaders:

Passing
    LSU QB Jordan Jefferson - 16 of 25, 343 yards, 2 TD
    Auburn QB Cam Newton – 18 of 27, 254 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT

Rushing
    LSU: HB Stevan Ridley – 19 attempts, 79 yards
    Auburn HB: Mario Fannin – 13 attempts, 26 yards

Receiving
    LSU: WR Russell Shepard – 8 receptions, 162 yards, 1 TD
    Auburn: WR Travante Stallworth – 3 receptions, 102 yards, 1 TD

Scoring Summary

1st Quarter
    2:51 FG Aub: W. Byrum, 27 yard FG
    2:19 TD LSU: R. Randle, 68 yard pass from J. Jefferson (J. Jasper kick)
    0:27 FG LSU: J. Jasper, 51 yard FG

2nd Quarter
    6:50 TD Aub: T. Stallworth, 76 yard pass from C. Newton (W. Byrum kick)
    0:35 FG LSU: J. Jasper, 59 yard FG

3rd Quarter
    2:53 FG LSU: J. Jasper, 23 yard FG
    0:03 TD LSU: R. Shepard, 80 yard pass from J. Jefferson (J. Jasper kick)

4th Quarter
    2:01 FG LSU: J. Jasper, 17 yard FG
    Comments 22 Comments
      JeffHCross -
      This better be a butt kicking. Plain and simple.

EDIT: Clearly, Jordan Jefferson is overrated in the game.
      cdj -
      - Poll added.

Who will take the SEC West lead?

- LSU
      - Auburn
      Rudy -
      Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
      Clearly, Jordan Jefferson is overrated in the game.
      Most definitely. His awareness needs to be dropped to the 50s somewhere. Jarret Lee is also part of a QB rotation now. It would be really cool if the EA dev team could add QB rotations somehow. It should be a part of the coaching profile/strategy stuff and if turned ON the team should rotate QBs IF the overall rating is within 2-3 points of each QB. That way we could turn QB rotations on for guys like Steve Spurrier and Urban Meyer but keep them off if we want.

I have no idea how this game is going to play out. LSU and the mad hatter seem to pull wins out of their ass. The LSU defense is strong so we shall see.
      Coachdenz -
      this is a tuff game for me to pick, LSU has a good D and who knows what they have on Offense. Auburn is one lucky team with a crazy good QB. Without Cam Newton LSU wins this game, Auburn with Cam Newton and at home they may just pull it out. I think it's going to be close. Auburn 31 LSU 24
      CLW -
      Auburn
      HWill -
      I like the Tigers to win the game.

But in all seriousness, I think LSU and their third-ranked defense will be able to slow down Cam Newton, at least a little bit. LSU by a touchdown.
      JBHuskers -
      Betting I would go LSU, straight up, Auburn.
      Iron Dragon -
      Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
      This better be a butt kicking. Plain and simple.

EDIT: Clearly, Jordan Jefferson is overrated in the game.
      He's re-rated down to an 82 on these set of rosters.
      morsdraconis -
      Auburn by a lot. LSU's defense is SO overrated. WVU would have ran the ball better if Devine wasn't injured and playing with basically turf toe, and yet WVU still only lost to them 20-17 at their place. Auburn is going to blow them out. Peterson is SO ridiculously overrated, it's not funny.
      JeffHCross -
      Quote Originally Posted by HWill View Post
      I think LSU and their third-ranked defense will be able to slow down Cam Newton, at least a little bit. LSU by a touchdown.
      Unless LSU's defense "slows down" Auburn to zero points, LSU isn't going to win by a touchdown. When Auburn has the ball, it will be an average-at-worst offense against a solid defense. When Auburn has the ball, it will be a horrible-at-best offense against an average-at-worst defense. Auburn might not score much, but they'll score more than LSU.
      Quote Originally Posted by Iron Dragon View Post
      He's re-rated down to an 82 on these set of rosters.
      I know. Personally, I think that's still overrated. That's how little I think about his play as a QB.
      psuexv -
      Last minute luck isn't going to help Les Miles in this one. Auburn wins easily
      Rudy -
      How many expected LSU to beat Florida? LSU has a great defense. Don't underestimate what they might do to Cam Newton. And adding Jarrett Lee to the mix has given that team a spark. The fact it's a home game for Auburn makes them the favourite but I don't think anyone should write off LSU so quickly.

Everyone hated on Jarrett Lee for throwing a ton of pick 6's as a freshman. The kid was thrown to the wolves too soon due to a bad QB situation and he's a lot better now.
      JeffHCross -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
      How many expected LSU to beat Florida?
      Pretty much anyone who had watched Florida's offensive struggles this season would have at least said it was a toss-up. I wanted Florida to win, but wasn't sure they could score enough to do so.

The key is that LSU vs Florida was two bad offenses against two good-if-not-great defenses. Auburn's offense is not "bad" by any stretch of the imagination.
      psuexv -
      I will agree that LSU's defense is good. But they are also a lucky bounce and a brain fart by the Tennessee defense away from 2 losses and probably out of the top 25.
      souljahbill -
      Did I really see a 60 yard field goal made?
      JeffHCross -
      Sigh. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the LSU-Auburn game is ridiculously close.
      HWill -
      Simply put, I underestimated Cam Newton and overestimated the LSU defense.
      morsdraconis -
      Quote Originally Posted by HWill View Post
      Simply put, I underestimated Cam Newton and overestimated the LSU defense.
      He's Tebow ver2.0. Still can't throw the ball worth a damn but when you have an offense like Auburn's with so much speed and you have a 6'6" 250lbs RB playing QB, why do you have to?

Pretty sure, with this game against LSU, he's ran for over 1,000 yards now, which is insane considering they still have 5 (or 6 with the SEC Championship Game and Bowl game) more games to play.
      JeffHCross -
      While I agree that he played like a running back today ... he can throw the ball. He's not Sam Bradford, but he can throw. Honestly, I think he's a better passer than Tebow ever was.

What I genuinely can't figure out is how do you managed 400+ rushing yards, yet only 24 points. That seems crazy, when you look at the statistical comparison between LSU and Auburn.

Except -- as I write this -- I remember that LSU's punter downed Auburn inside the 10 like 5 times.
      Rudy -
      Gus Malzahn's gum chomping is annoying to look at.