• NCAA Football 11: Online Dynasty Data Exports

NCAA Football 11 designer Russ Kiniry has posted a new blog discussing new exportable information on the Dynasty Wire website.

Here we are in October, well into the football season, and we still have a bit of NCAA news for the Online Dynasty players out there. Later today when you log into www.easports.com/dynasty you'll notice a number of buttons that will allow you to export information from the site. Easily gaining access to all of the Dynasty information below was one of the biggest items requested from you, the fan, for our Dynasty web site. I'm happy to say we are delivering this feature.

Click Read More to view all of the exportable data now available from your Online Dynasty.

The following items are available for you to download as a .csv (accessible with a program like Excel) file onto your personal computer:

Top 25 Polls
    Will be the same information as the Top 25 page

Stat Leaders
    All stats visible on the Stats leaders page

Schedules
    Includes games already played and future games

Rosters
    Includes Players Name, Home Town/State, Position and Ratings

Prospect Information
    This is has the most information. For each Prospect you will get the following:
    - Name (First, Last)
    - Position
    - Caliber
    - Position Rank
    - Overall Rank
    - Height
    - Weight
    - Top 10 Schools
    - Home Town/State
    - Ratings (displayed as Letters grades)

We hope this gives you the ability to archive, create, and manage (or any other ideas you can think of!) all this data as you see fit for your personal Online Dynasty. As always, you can continue to leave us feedback on our forums. I'd like to thank you for your continued support of NCAA Football 11. It's been a great year so far!

Thanks again,
    - Russ Kiniry
    Designer NCAA Football
    Comments 48 Comments
      Rudy -
      That file worked really well. That one had the headers although I didn't see any throwing accuracy in the file. The one SS you have looks like a monster hitter and great against the run. Plus he's good in zone coverage (if those columns were right). Which file was all screwed up?
      JeffHCross -
      Rudy,
      Here's the QBs, HBs, and FBs from the Prospects file. That's what the headers were missing from. I had to remove all but those sections to get it to fit within the forum's size limits. Give it a shot.

I removed the headers for you to make it a little more complex
      Rudy -
      Cool. I'll check it out at work today.
      oweb26 -
      Jeff,

So what you have pointed out with the colums is that I need to sperate sheets for each postion? I dont think it can line up any other way.
      Oneback -
      Oh, this is going to be bad....now I have something else to waste time on while at work.
      oweb26 -
      that is exactly what I am doing at work right now!!! I foudn out how to get on the site at work YAY!!!!!!!
      gschwendt -
      Quote Originally Posted by oweb26 View Post
      Jeff,

So what you have pointed out with the colums is that I need to sperate sheets for each postion? I dont think it can line up any other way.
      Yeah, that's pretty much the best way to handle it... though you can group like positions (Safeties, LBs, DLs, OLs).
      JeffHCross -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
      Cool. I'll check it out at work today.
      Rudy, I saw your tweet but I can't get there from work. What do you mean it can't figure out if it wants to use quotes or commas? Are you sure that's not just because I changed it to a txt file? It should have been a csv. So you should have changed it back (apologies if I didn't make that clear). The forum doesn't accept csv as a format, so I had to change it to txt.

What you should see is a ton of columns using commas as a delimeter. As memory serves, the only quotes should be around the player's name (if that) and the player's hometown.
      Quote Originally Posted by oweb26 View Post
      Jeff,

I've got an idea that I'll be working on once I get a chance, but fundamentally ... yes. That would be, by far, the easiest way to do it. I put the headers into the middle of the file, and it works .. but it is a massive, massive headache. Seperate sheets would be much easier.

Though note, you have to be careful with csv files and separate sheets. You should probably convert it to an Excel file (or whatever you use) first, just to preserve the data. Otherwise it might overwrite the large file with just one sheet.
      oweb26 -
      I just took your txt file from, did a text to columns copied it to 11 tabs not including K and P, then did a data filter on the top line on each sheet and I am able to sort by position whenever I want too, wasnt too much of a headache. Went alot smoother at home with a better PC than it did at work with a shitty one. As long as your PC can handle a massive copied file then you should be golden.
      Rudy -
      Jeff, in the file I got from you for the prospects, there are a bunch of double quotes that seem like they want to be used as the separators and not just the commas. What's annoying is that there are headers there but only one column for "Top 10 teams" while each Top 10 team has a comma for them which pushes them into their own column - not what was intended. When I import a csv or text file into SPSS, I can choose whether I want to use fixed widths (ie. first 10 characters are column 1, 8 characters column 2, etc.) or delimiters (ie dividers which can be commas, quotes, etc). I can specify more than one delimiter and I can actually get all the columns to line up decent but it would take a lot more work to get it right. I just come to the simple conclusion - the EA screwed up that export. I don't even know how they extracted that information so ugly.
      gschwendt -
      Jeff, in the file I got from you for the prospects, there are a bunch of double quotes that seem like they want to be used as the separators and not just the commas. What's annoying is that there are headers there but only one column for "Top 10 teams" while each Top 10 team has a comma for them which pushes them into their own column - not what was intended. When I import a csv or text file into SPSS, I can choose whether I want to use fixed widths (ie. first 10 characters are column 1, 8 characters column 2, etc.) or delimiters (ie dividers which can be commas, quotes, etc). I can specify more than one delimiter and I can actually get all the columns to line up decent but it would take a lot more work to get it right. I just come to the simple conclusion - the EA screwed up that export. I don't even know how they extracted that information so ugly.
      Actually, for the prospects, it imports nicely into Excel as a csv... all columns line up properly (Top 10 Schools is 1 column). You might open it in Excel or OpenOffice first, then carry that over to SPSS (though I know little to nothing about SPSS).
      JeffHCross -
      I just come to the simple conclusion - the EA screwed up that export. I don't even know how they extracted that information so ugly.
      To be blunt, you came to the wrong conclusion.

The quotes are not delimiters in the prospects file. It is not a mistake, it is intentional. The quotations are what Excel calls "Text qualifiers". For SQL (which is what I'd imagine the csv file is built from), quotations are used to make the text strings one single string -- regardless of delimiters within. It's a convention, if not a standard.

G's on the money. Either you need to first take it into Excel and then take it into SPSS, or you need to figure out how to get SPSS to treat everything inside the quote as one column, ignoring the commas.
      Rudy -
      I'll give it another shot. SPSS does have text qualifiers as well. Anything Excel can do, SPSS can do and a whole lot more in terms of database management. I just have to use it correctly.
      Rudy -
      Well Jeff sent me the .csv file through e-mail and I looked at a few things. It's neat to check some stuff out.

A few quick observations on the DBs: CBs all have similar agility regardless of caliber (1 through 5*) and lower rated CBs actually have higher awareness generally speaking. The biggest differences in CBs is the improvement to speed and man/zone coverage as the rating goes up. FS and SS actually have better hands than CBs in Jeff's prospect file.
      JeffHCross -
      So I created a new dynasty. I can't view the Rosters in the pre-season, or Week 1. It says "No Records Found".

I don't really want to advance to Week 2, because then there's a -- albeit minute -- chance that progression will happen. I really want the download to be of the default rosters.

Any ideas?
      JeffHCross -
      Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
      So I created a new dynasty. I can't view the Rosters in the pre-season, or Week 1. It says "No Records Found".
      Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
      oweb26 -
      I can tell you that I have no clue.
      psuexv -
      You know what stinks. They don't have Acceleration on the offensive lineman on the web or in the download.
      psuexv -
      Found some additional issues with the Roster file download. It doesn't seem to download all rating for each player. ex - Throw Accuracy and Press Coverage are two that I've noticed so far that are missing.
      JeffHCross -
      Yep, I noticed that as well. Kinda annoying, since THA is probably one of the ratings I was more likely to want downloaded.

cdj, what are our chances of seeing bug fixes to these downloads?