• Game of the Week Preview: Boise State vs. Virginia Tech

College Football is Here! Another season kicks off tonight and with it a new feature here at The Gaming Tailgate begins. Each week of the season, we will use NCAA Football 11 to preview & sim the top Game of the Week. The biggest game on the schedule to kick off the season is Boise State vs. Virginia Tech in a game to be played at FedEx Field in Washington, DC on Monday night.

The Broncos enter the game with a 14-game win streak and have prevailed in 26 of their last 27 games. A win versus the Hokies in what is sure to be a hostile environment and virtual home game for VT would put Boise State in position to contend for the National Championship. A loss all but ends those hopes.

The Hokies enter the 2010 season on a five-game win streak after three losses in 2009 by a combined 18 points. Despite being a top ten team, they are not on many expert's short lists to contend for the National Championship and a win here would change that quickly. To say this is a huge game for both teams would be an understatement.

The two teams will be wearing newly unveiled Nike Pro Combat uniforms. See them in advance here: Boise State - Virginia Tech

Click Read More to see the NCAA Football 11 simulation for Boise State vs. Virginia Tech.

Boise State 31, Virginia Tech 28

Player of the Game:
    QB Kellen Moore, Boise State – 23 of 36, 371 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT

Leaders:

Passing
    QB Kellen Moore, Boise State – 23 of 36, 371 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT
    QB Tyrod Taylor, Virginia Tech – 19 of 24, 349 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT

Rushing
    RB Jeremy Avery, Boise State – 23 carries, 54 yards, 1 TD
    RB Ryan Williams, Virginia Tech – 22 carries, 80 yards, 2 TD

Receiving
    WR Titus Young, Boise State – 10 receptions, 171 yards, 1 TD
    WR Danny Coale, Virginia Tech – 5 receptions, 150 yards, 1 TD

Scoring Summary

2nd Quarter
    3:34 TD Boise: M. Burroughs, 12 yard pass from K. Moore (K. Brotzman kick) 7-0
    3:05 TD VT: D. Coale, 70 yard pass from T. Taylor (J. Myer kick) 7-7
    0:34 TD Boise: B. Thompson, returned interception 90 yards (K. Brotzman kick) 14-7

3rd Quarter
    4:38 TD Boise: J. Avery, 2 yard run (K. Brotzman kick) 21-7

4th Quarter
    4:19 TD VT: R. Williams, 11 yard run (J. Myer kick) 21-14
    3:32 TD Boise: T. Young, 54 yard pass from K. Moore (K. Brotzman kick) 28-14
    2:42 TD VT: D. Roberts, 13 yard pass from T. Taylor (J. Myer kick) 28-21
    1:21 TD VT: R. Williams, 2 yard run (J. Myer kick) 28-28
    0:01 FG Boise: K. Brotzman, 21 yard FG
    Comments 17 Comments
      cdj -
      Poll Added:
      Who will win? Boise State or Virginia Tech
      CLW -
      I got the Hokies in this one. However, if TGT gets on a crazy winning streak with these games I might start using these bids in Vegas.
      cdj -
      Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
      I got the Hokies in this one. However, if TGT gets on a crazy winning streak with these games I might start using these bids in Vegas.
      I did find it pretty funny that Boise won by 3 in the simulation and last I looked I think Vegas has them by 3. :eek:

I can go either way on this one, but I picked Boise. Though, it will be a pro-VT crowd so a win will be well-earned against a physical team. Moore is a great QB, but they are saying Tyrod Taylor had a great major scrimmage performance last week. It should be a fun one.
      JBHuskers -
      I just think Boise is hungry. I'm going with them.
      AustinWolv -
      Went with Boise, just because VT has consistently disappointed me with their ability to move the ball forward.
      steelerfan -
      Great idea, Chris!

FYI, a look at all the top Books currently shows BSU at -1.5, -2 and -2.5 making a wager on the Broncos a winner per TGT's simulation.

One request...going forward, consider putting the score/stats as a spoiler to add suspense to watching the video.

Great job with the vid, buddy!

EDIT: took the Broncos, btw. I am thinking/hoping this is the year they get their shot at the MNC.
      morsdraconis -
      Great stuff fellas but I don't see VT not running the ball 30 times with Williams. Dude is a horse and it's their best chance to keep Boise State's potent offense off the field. If they get into a scoring match against Boise State, Boise is going to run away with the game as there is no QB in the nation as good as Kellen Moore.
      Twinky34 -
      running with Williams Evans and Tyrod Taylor
      JeffHCross -
      Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
      Though, it will be a pro-VT crowd
      It'll certainly be a pro-VT crowd, but I'm interested to see what the crowd is like on Monday. Holiday traffic around here it nuts anyway and throw in a Monday night football game ... yeah, I have no clue what it's going to be like. Especially if a lot of VT fans from down I-81 (i.e. towards Blacksburg) try to come up for the game.

Add in the possible affect of Hurricane Earl on people's travel plans ... and I honestly have no idea what the crowd is going to be like on Monday.

Thankfully for VT, the Northern VA area is full of enough VT alums to fill that stadium a few times over anyway ... without any travel necessary, really.
      Rudy -
      This should be a great game. I voted VT because I'll be pulling for them and I think Tyrod Taylor and the RBs at VT will surprise people this year. I think this could be a really, really good team.
      cdj -
      Sim: Boise State 31, Virginia Tech 28.
      Actual: Boise State 33, Virginia Tech 30.
      JeffHCross -
      I hate to say it, but I think that was luck, cdj.
      cdj -
      Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
      I hate to say it, but I think that was luck, cdj.
      I'm not going to argue that one!
      steelerfan -
      Tgt ytd...

Su 1-0.
      Ats 1-0.
      O/u 1-0.
      JBHuskers -
      Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
      Tgt ytd...

Su 1-0.
      Ats 1-0.
      O/u 1-0.
      If this keeps up, I have a new betting tool
      Rudy -
      I thought the VT uniforms were ugly. Didn't mind the Boise St. ones though.
      CLW -
      CDJ you should do the entire college football season immediately so that I can put some money down in Vegas.