• NCAA Football 11: Understanding the Pro Combat Phenomenon

Monday’s NCAA Football 11 demo gives gamers the ability to unlock the Nike Pro Combat uniforms for all eleven teams that wore them in the 2009-10 season. Fans of Ohio State, Miami, Missouri, and more have been asking for months if Pro Combats would be in this July’s game. Why the hype? What is so special about them? Let’s take a look at the Nike Pro Combat uniform and try to understand the phenomenon.

Click Read More to view the article and share your comments.

From Nike: Nike Pro Combat is a lightweight, breathable padded protective base layer ergonomically designed to provide sport-specific protection to athletes without restricting flexibility. The Nike Pro Combat uniform is 37 percent lighter than current designs (673 grams vs. 1,061 grams). Nike utilized a four-way stretch twill that does not hold sweat or water and as a result, the new uniforms are 46 percent lighter than the current designs when wet. Overall, the Nike Pro Combat uniform, when wet, is still lighter than the current design when completely dry.

The Pro Combat uniforms debuted in the fall of 2009 and will be officially introduced at the start of the 2010 season. The eleven programs with Pro Combat uniforms are: Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Missouri, Ohio State, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, and Virginia Tech. See photos, videos, and more of each school’s Pro Combat uniform here.

Each Pro Combat uniform features a team specific nickname and unique details within the uniform design:

Clemson “All In” – The uniform design is based on that from the early 1980s, including the 1981 season that saw the Tigers go undefeated and win the National Championship. Embroidered on the inner collar of the jersey is “All In,” the team mantra since Dabo Swinney took over as head coach.

Florida “Finish the Mission” – The inner collar is embroidered with “Pride,” the team’s mantra. The back of the pants are embroidered with “Gators.” ‘Finish the Mission’ refers to the Gators quest to bring another National Championship to Gainesville.

Florida State “Fear the Spear” – The black helmet represents the ceremonial black drink the Seminole warriors would share before heading into battle. The abbreviated team nickname “Noles” is embroidered on the back of the pants.

LSU “Cochon De Lait” – Cochon De Lait translates to ‘french suckling pig’ - essentially a Cajun pig roast of a whole young pig. Fitting as LSU debuted their Pro Combat uniforms versus the Arkansas Razorbacks. The gold helmet honors the teams of the 1940s and also the Golden Boot that LSU and Arkansas play for. “Team” is embroidered on the inner collar of the jersey and “Tigers” is embroidered on the back of the pants.

Miami “The U Knows” – Miami’s nickname “The U” is embroidered on the inner collar. Copying the split-colored “U” on the helmets, the numbers on the jersey are also split-colored. “Canes” is embroidered on the back of the pants.

Missouri “Beast Mode” – The uniform design is meant to imply ‘stealth,’ a reference to the Stealth Bombers housed at Whiteman Air Force Base in Missouri. “Beast Mode” is embroidered on the inner collar of the jersey. “Tigers” is embroidered on the back of the pants.

Ohio State “Earned” – The helmets are based upon those worn by the 1954 National Championship team. “Buckeye Tradition” is embroidered on the inner collar. “Earned” refers to the high level of success the program has attained as well as the tradition of earning the Buckeye stickers on the helmets for big plays and wins.

Oklahoma “Stake Our Claim” – The uniform design was based upon the 1955 National Championship team. Embroidered on the inner collar of the uniform was “Sooner Magic,” a term coined after OU’s miraculous comeback win over Nebraska in 1976 and other big wins in the series under head coach Barry Switzer. “Sooners” is embroidered on the back of the pants.

TCU “Don’t Back Down” – Nike was able to digitally sublimate a horned frog skin print on the pants and helmets. The team’s mantra “Don’t Back Down” is embroidered on the inner collar of the jersey. The helmet features red lines down the center to represent the blood that shoot’s from a horned frog’s eyes when under attack and also represent the ‘bloodlines’ of the brotherhood that unite the team.

Texas “Texas Fight” – The helmets feature numbers, a tribute to the Darrell K. Royal era (1957-1976) of Texas football. The inner collar is embroidered with “We Are Texas.” “Texas” is embroidered on the back of the pants. The uniform nickname was originally “It Only Takes Eleven,” a verbal strike at rival Texas A&M and their ‘12th Man’ tradition.

Virginia Tech “Good Guys Wear White” – The inner collar is embroidered with ‘Beamer Ball,’ a reference to the successful head coach of the Hokies, Frank Beamer. Gradient color on the numbers and shoulder trim represent the team speed of the Hokies. The back of the pants are embroidered with ‘Ut Prosim’ – the school’s latin motto, meaning ‘That I May Serve.’ In their first ever game wearing the Nike Pro Combats, it was believed that their opponent Maryland would wear all-black Under Armor uniforms, hence the ‘good guys wear white.’ However, the Terrapins would actually wear special black and camouflage jerseys to support American’s veterans and the Wounded Warrior Project.

With the physical benefits and uniqueness of the Pro Combat jersey and the hype surrounding them, how have teams fared while wearing them?

Clemson – Lost 34-17 at South Carolina (Nov. 28, 2009)
    Florida – Won 37-10 versus Florida State (Nov. 28, 2009)
    Florida State – Won 29-26 versus Maryland (Nov. 21, 2009)
    LSU – Won 33-30 (OT) versus Arkansas (Nov. 28, 2009)
    Miami – Won 31-10 at South Florida (Nov. 28, 2009), Lost 20-14 vs. Wisconsin (Dec. 29, 2009)
    Missouri – Won 41-39 versus Kansas (Nov. 28, 2009)
    Ohio State – Won 21-10 at Michigan (Nov. 21, 2009)
    Oklahoma – Lost at Texas Tech 41-13 (Nov. 21, 2009)
    TCU – Won versus Utah 55-28 (Nov. 14, 2009), Lost versus Boise State 17-10 (Jan. 4, 2010)
    Texas – Won at Texas A&M 49-39 (Nov. 26, 2009)
    Virginia Tech – Won at Maryland 36-9 (Nov. 14, 2009), Won at Virginia 42-13 (Nov. 28, 2009)

In fourteen games featuring teams wearing Pro Combat uniforms, those teams went 10-4.

What do you think of the Nike Pro Combat uniforms? Are you a fan? Do you prefer some uniforms more than others? Leave your thoughts in the comments.
    Comments 64 Comments
      Kingpin32 -
      I really like the split colored numbers that Miami has on theirs.
      jaymo76 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kingpin32 View Post
      I really like the split colored numbers that Miami has on theirs.
      Yup, those numbers look excellent on the uniforms.
      CLW -
      I'm a traditionalist so I hate the design of most of them. However, it is smart of Nike to design a lighter uniform.
      AustinWolv -
      Lighter and breathable is good......for the mental aspect for players, because the weight difference is negligible for clothes they are wearing. 1lb difference in clothes? Go put on some clothes and weigh yourself to see if you think that 1lb would have any reasonable difference in your on-field performance.
      If it was something, like a gun or a firefighter tool, that would be carried with extended arms for long lengths of times, then that 1lb would be significant.
      Hype.
      It won't hurt, sure.

As for the look, I like the Texas and Miami a lot. Gators and Clemson is ok. Not so much for the Mizzou, OSU, VT, TCU. Undecided on LSU, OU, FSU.

Some are on the verge of being something like arena football garish, while some retain a really clean, cool college look.
      MGoBlue -
      Nike needs to tell their design department to take a chill pill sometimes (ANY time they aproach Michigan State's uniforms). The "tech" sounds cool enough, not that it really does anything else but feel nice, but they need to just keep the design in check, why couldn't they have remade the normal uniforms?
      gschwendt -
      Quote Originally Posted by MGoBlue View Post
      Nike needs to tell their design department to take a chill pill sometimes (ANY time they aproach Michigan State's uniforms). The "tech" sounds cool enough, not that it really does anything else but feel nice, but they need to just keep the design in check, why couldn't they have remade the normal uniforms?
      We wouldn't be talking about them nearly as much if the designs had remained the same.
      AustinWolv -
      I'm not really that interested in talking about them.
      JeffHCross -
      The funniest thing to me, from a traditionalist point of view, is that one of the biggest departures from the current uniform, Ohio State's, is actually essentially a throwback.
      Coachdenz -
      pretty sure Florida wore the pro combat's in the SEC game which they lost. I don't think wearing a uniform makes a difference, it's whats in the uniform.

But I'm glad there in the game for the guys that like it, ALSO can somebody ask to see if they will even show up this year while playing someone online?
      gschwendt -
      Quote Originally Posted by Coachdenz View Post
      ALSO can somebody ask to see if they will even show up this year while playing someone online?
      We tested this at CD and I'm fairly certain that proper uniforms show up for your opponent this year. I can't guarantee that but that's my recollection.
      Coachdenz -
      Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
      We tested this at CD and I'm fairly certain that proper uniforms show up for your opponent this year. I can't guarantee that but that's my recollection.
      that's good to here.
      Lava -
      FINALLY. I hope you're right, and it's the same in the final version.
      Rudy -
      Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
      The funniest thing to me, from a traditionalist point of view, is that one of the biggest departures from the current uniform, Ohio State's, is actually essentially a throwback.
      The OSU ones look old school and cool.
      cdj -
      Quote Originally Posted by Coachdenz View Post
      pretty sure Florida wore the pro combat's in the SEC game which they lost.
      I thought that as well, but they actually wore their all-white uniforms with their alternate white F helmet.
      beartide06 -
      Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
      I thought that as well, but they actually wore their all-white uniforms with their alternate white F helmet.
      Will the white F helmets be in this years version of NCAA?
      MGoBlue -
      We wouldn't be talking about them nearly as much if the designs had remained the same.
      Fair enough, but what is the objective of building hype about a uniform type? No one sitting at home will ever buy a full on football uniform, and it's not like Nike doesn't already dominate the market outside of the NFL for football jerseys.
      Twinky34 -
      The Hokies all white combat uniforms were sweet wish they would wear the white helmets even more. Here a site with all those uniforms and it even show the gloves and all http://friendsoftheprogram.net/2009/...-with-slogans/
      Twinky34 -
      This site is even better http://procombat.nikemedia.com/teams.html even shows you the shoes and shirts they wear under their shoulder pads. Check out the video they are tuff.
      cdj -
      The 2010 Nike Pro Combat website is available here with pics and info on the 10 schools wearing them this fall.
      gschwendt -
      Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
      The 2010 Nike Pro Combat website is available here with pics and info on the 10 schools wearing them this fall.
      Oregon State is my favorite out of that bunch.