• A Look Back at Seven Years of Next-Gen NCAA Football

NCAA Football 13 will mark the seventh year of the franchise on the next-gen consoles. In the spring of 2006, the NCAA Football community would begin to change forever. As we lead up to the release of NCAA 13, The Gaming Tailgate will look back at the previous next-gen versions of the game.

With the release of NCAA Football 07 – only on the X-Box 360 – and a fresh start to the franchise, the fracture of the community began. Some in the community stayed on the PlayStation 2 and those who made the switch to next-gen gaming were divided between the 360 and the PlayStation 3. As the studio made the decision to start anew on these next generation consoles, some in the community became disenfranchised with the lack of features on the 360/PS3 version as compared to the PS2 version.

While the rebuilding of the franchise may have taken more time than some would like, it has also witnessed features and game modes that could not have existed on the last-gen series: Stadium Sounds, EA Locker, The Weather Channel Live Feed, web-based TeamBuilder, Dynasty Wire, and the crown jewel - Online Dynasty.

Leading up to release the release of NCAA Football 13, we will take a look back at each next-gen edition of the game starting with NCAA Football 07. Each feature will analyze the big features added into each version and how the franchise evolved with each title. In the comments for each article, share your thoughts on what aspects you enjoyed most - and least - in regards to each particular title.

Recap:
    Comments 21 Comments
      Flav -
      Looking forward to this!
      JStein2469 -
      This will be some great reads!
      morsdraconis -
      Definitely going to be some great reads and new stuff for me since I didn't make the switch to next gen until '09 so I never knew what it was like playing '07 and '08 on the 360. Can't wait for these.
      Rudy -
      I think the stadium sounds have been cool. EA locker has also been nice since I haven't had to buy a transfer device for the PS3. But as an offline gamer who really only cares about BCS teams, the addition of Team Builder and online dynasty has done nothing for me. Weather channel is nice but not a big deal.

I am really looking forward to formation subs this year and team entrances will be cool. I'm very hopeful some older features will make a comeback - discipline in dynasty mode, more than one playable camera angle and a Madden PS2 feature of in game saves. Locomotion could have a really big impact on the game as well since the next gen games haven't had the momentum of the old PS2 games. I'm looking forward to that.
      Lava -
      Great concept for a series of articles. I look forward to reading the rest.
      Jayrah -
      Oh, definitely looking forward to the weekly releases of this! This should be some great convo to get us by till 11 releases. I love these extras.
      steelerfan -
      I agree with Jayrah. "I love these extras." You guys are doing a great job of creating your own news and not just reporting someone else's. Very refreshing and, I believe, it will be very well received. Good job with this idea, cdj. You guys keep up the good work!
      JBHuskers -
      Good feature Chris!
      morsdraconis -
      Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
      A Look Back at NCAA 07 will go live at approx. 7:20 PM CT tonight. All of the big news from the last 48 hours pushed it back a few times, but we're going to go with it this evening.
      :thumbsup:

Can't wait!
      cdj -
      We will post our look back at NCAA 07 tomorrow.
      JBHuskers -
      Thread bump of the day
      SmoothPancakes -
      Better late than never I suppose.
      CoreySA -
      This should be fun to read over! Looking forward to it and great idea!
      prime221cs -
      Can't wait for the formation subs.Love this!
      psusnoop -
      Great idea! This will be a fun discussion for sure.
      ram29jackson -
      i've only seen the last 3 years...I didnt know its been 6 ps3 years?
      steelerfan -
      Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
      i've only seen the last 3 years...I didnt know its been 6 ps3 years?
      07 was the first on the 360, 08 on the PS3.
      Jayrah -
      7 years already? WOW! Time has flown by.
      texacotea -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jayrah View Post
      7 years already? WOW! Time has flown by.
      almost a year later
      Big Blue -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
      Locomotion could have a really big impact on the game as well since the next gen games haven't had the momentum of the old PS2 games. I'm looking forward to that.
      This NEEDS to make a return. Or some sort of foot planting. I would guess this is on the top of the list for '14.