• EA Sports Announces Online Pass

Today, EA Sports announced Online Pass, an initiative to help encourage gamers to buy the game new while giving the company a way to make money off of used game sales. Currently, they receive nothing from sales of used titles. In 2008, 23% of GameStop's total annual revenue came from used software and hardware sales (over $2 billion), and used sales accounted for 48% of their total profit ($974.5 million). [Source] For comparison's sake, EA Sports reported net annual revenue of $4.2 billion in fiscal year 2008 and a $1.08 billion loss. Needless to say, any revenue from used game sales would be huge for the company.

Starting with June's release of Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 and continuing through the EA Sports '11 titles (including NCAA Football 11), brand new copies of the game will receive a code allowing the user to play online. Should you buy a used copy of the game, getting the code to play online will cost $10, though gamers can sign up for a free 7-day trial to experience Online Pass.

While this announcement is likely to get met by extreme opposition from some in the sports gaming community, many "hardcore" sports gamers typically buy the game new and will not have to worry about purchasing Online Pass. With many users not avid online players, the 7-day pass may be enough to satisfy any online desire they may have. There is the belief by some that this may lead to a lower price-point for used EA Sports titles at stores such as GameStop who will also be selling the Online Pass.

According to the EA Sports Online Pass website, the following features will be available for users who purchase a new copy of NCAA Football or purchase a used copy and buy Online Pass:

• Recruiting Reports for use in Dynasty Mode
    • Twelve TeamBuilder Slots to download your custom teams for use in Play Now, Head-to-Head Online, Dynasty, and Online Dynasty Modes
    • Online Multiplayer Modes such as Online Play Now, Head-to-Head, Online Dynasty, and More**

**Xbox LIVE Gold account also required to access online features.
    Comments 35 Comments
      JBHuskers -
      Lots of people are raking EA over the coals in regards to this however as technology evolves, business has to as well. Microtransactions give people fodder to take the same shots at EA last year, but you have to remember EA is not the only company doing these things. As online innovations come about, so do new ways of doing business.
      cdj -
      I think a lot of the criticism is coming from people who aren't fully understanding what Online Pass is. 'Buy the game new and you don't need to buy Online Pass.' - People aren't getting that.

Add in Peter Moore's blog where he says GameStop will be selling the Online Pass. That should indicate a lower price point for used EA Sports '11 titles at GameStop/EB, etc. They cannot (in good conscience at least) sell NCAA 11 used for $55 and then expect a person to pay for Online Pass, making a used title now cost more than a new version.

I have to shake my head at how so many in this country now despise companies that make money. If EA could recoup some of the money lost on used game sales, maybe game quality would go up significantly. People don't seem to hold anything against GameStop who is pulling in profit hand over fist via their used game sales system, which many in the know may consider more shady than the Online Pass system.
      JBHuskers -
      Yeah everyone that just wants to nitpick on hating EA just see's that they're charging $10 to access online features for buying the game used....that is all they see. A completely myopic view on things when stories like this come out.
      Rudy -
      Every gaming company wants to make money. Development costs are at an all time high and rapidly rising (http://www.cnbc.com/id/35932496/As_V...se_So_Do_Risks). Tons of people are making money in the used game industry and EA's retail sales have suffered. This is a smart business move. It doesn't really matter if it's fair or not but everyone is doing in place ads, DLC, etc. This is just the next step with digital distribution being the final one.
      Kwizzy -
      I can see why some people think this is a, for lack of a better word, dickhead move on EA's part...

It's like having to pay Ford $1500 when you buy a used F150 for the radio & A/C to work.

But you also have to understand the move from their point of view. This is an untapped market & like JB said, businesses have to evolve. If Ford could find a way to eliminate the competition & do this, you can bet they would in a second. It's just smart business by EA. I personally have no problem with this, but I do understand where people are coming from. Like cdj said too, what this really will end up doing is to reduce the cost of used games at these stores.
      cdj -
      I wonder how many people who buy the game used even play online. The people who seem to be online the most right now are guys who bought the game new (most likely) and have gaudy 365-108 records. It helps that there is a 7-day trial for people who buy used copies. Maybe 7 days is enough to turn them off from wanting to be online anyways.
      Rudy -
      The problem is you can't even have a real discussion on this stuff at a bigger site. So many people are still angry over the exclusive deal they just spew venom.
      cdj -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
      The problem is you can't even have a real discussion on this stuff at a bigger site. So many people are still angry over the exclusive deal they just spew venom.
      It may be tough, but one of our site goals is to have this place be mature and able to have legit discussions on all matters. Constructive criticism welcome, blind negativity is not.
      Rudy -
      I think that goal is very attainable.
      texacotea -
      Really makes sense IMO, its an incintive to buy the game new. Most of the people who are die hard buy it new anyway I know I have particitpated in midnight realeases for about 5 yrs now
      steelerfan -
      Man, I USED to post at another site and caught 10 kinds of hell and slander (sadly, 98% of it was from mods) on this very topic. Why? Because I support the company who makes the game and I'm not being charged a nickel for a pass. I buy the game new.
      Kwizzy -
      I agree, I think you can't blame people for buying a cheaper used copy if it's available to them & at the same time, you can't blame EA for finding a way to profit off their own hard work.

On another note, these "Recruiting reports for dynasty use" are the "boosts" you could buy in last year's game right?
      JBHuskers -
      Yeah what kills me is people think that EA is alienating everyone by doing this. No, they're not alienating anyone. Plus you get a WHOLE WEEK of a free online pass. You can still rent the game, and try it out. You like it, you buy it. You don't like it, it goes back. Simple as that.
      JBHuskers -
      Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
      It may be tough, but one of our site goals is to have this place be mature and able to have legit discussions on all matters. Constructive criticism welcome, blind negativity is not.
      Yeah blind negativeity will be easy to spot with myopic posts.
      Rudy -
      Which is easier - to hate on EA or hate on Tebow?
      cdj -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
      Which is easier - to hate on EA or hate on Tebow?
      Wow, good question. It's an art form for each group, that's all I know.
      Kwizzy -
      Well I'm pretty sure I could lead the Tebow hate club in my sleep... Man I can't stand that dude!
      texacotea -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kwizzy View Post
      Well I'm pretty sure I could lead the Tebow hate club in my sleep... Man I can't stand that dude!
      Whats wrong with Tebow? not his fault blame the media all he did was win football games
      Kwizzy -
      I have absolutely no problem admitting that the majority of my hate (probably 97%) for him stems from the coverage of him. The other 3% mostly comes from the fact that I have some bad experiences with in your face religious people. Hell of a football player, no problem admitting that!
      gschwendt -
      Industry Gamers got feedback from a handful of game industry analysts to get their opinion on the Online Pass:
      http://www.industrygamers.com/news/e...-says-analyst/